1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions and Requests

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth That's rough buddy Moderator

To prevent weird canals etc.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  2. Visard

Visard Chieftain

Forts could provide one hammer (and one commerce with railroad), since they are no longer boosted by the civics.
    Fortified forts in city radius could also provide happiness.

Publicola and Imp. Knoedel like this.
  3. Enyavar

Enyavar Chieftain

As Leo says it is mainly to counter the (human player) canal-building for their ships.

The other use for forts is connecting resources - well you have to connect the neighbor res with the proper improvement then .

So far I haven't found military uses for fort lines (they are great for choke points ofc but maintaining a good road network is definitively better than forts, imo). So how are you using them? Having a fort line with three forts each manned with two units is a worse defense than one single fort with six units.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  4. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Forts are generally useless. Unless you're Turkey, then you build one adjacent to those mountains that barbarians keep coming through.

Jarlaxe Baenre likes this.
  5. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Imperator Knoedel the Great, Glorious and Gracious

There hasn't been a major controversy on this subforum for far too long. In order to draw out snowflake Status Quo Warriors (and because I genuinely believe that we should do it) I hereby suggest that we replace all ingame instances of BC and AD with BCE and CE.

Furthermore, in the long term we could maybe also introduce civ-specific dates, like e.g. ab urbe condita for Rome. Civ5 has this curious feature where if you play Maya the actual ingame date is displayed in the Mayan system after the discovery of Calendar.

ozqar, 1SDAN and hnrysml like this.
  6. DarkLunaPhantom

DarkLunaPhantom Chieftain Supporter

7. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

I like the idea of implementing civ-specific dates, as well as era specific dates. But I do not support replacing BC and AD with BCE and CE across the board. BC and AD aren't just random letters but phrases with a storied history. If 1CE is the same as 1AD then all you are doing is whitewashing.

You are painting over the historic details and grime in favor of a pristine and meaningless coat of paint.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  8. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Imperator Knoedel the Great, Glorious and Gracious

I don't like taking Göbekli Tepe (sp.?) as a starting point for two reasons:

One, we don't actually know the exact time it was constructed down to the year, and two, maybe a few decades from now we will discover a building that was even older still. While I am all for a new zero-point, I think it should be something where we know the exact date for, like Sputnik, or Yuri Gagarin's flight into space, or the first man-made nuclear explosion. Ideally I would like to set the communist world revolution as a new zero-point, as that is when actual human-made history will finally start, but it has to actually happen first of course.

Eh, some things could use a new paint job.

1SDAN and KeeperOT7Keys like this.
  9. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

In East Asia states used the year of an emperor's start of reign to describe the years.
    i.e.) Japan, 10 years after Meiji became emperor: Year Meiji 10.

If we implement this mechanic it would be impossible even for East Asians to recognize the dates written on their own ancient/medival calendar.

BasilBerylium and 1SDAN like this.
  10. Enyavar

Enyavar Chieftain

It was the same even for the Pharaoes. The only guys who had a consistent calendar are the Romans and the Arabs (and following them, the Moors, the Turks and the Persians).

The Jewish calendar doesn't count because we don't have a jewish civ, nor should we. By the way, I LOVE how I can still have pagan temples in "Jewish" cities.

Which brings me back to topic (suggestions):

It should be the same with the Indian / Harappan pagan temples in my opinion, because their pagan religion is just a variation of what has later been dubbed "Hinduism". So let these pagan temples coexist with Hinduism and Buddhism, until you switch state religion and then convert these temples instead of abandoning them on spread!

1SDAN likes this.
  11. Leoreth

The spread of your state religion already converts existing Pagan Temples.

1SDAN likes this.
  12. Enyavar

Enyavar Chieftain

Which don't exist anymore because they have been abandoned... I'm arguing that vedic temples should not be abandoned when hinduism spreads. (Before I change from vedism to hinduism or buddhism.)

1SDAN likes this.
  13. Leoreth

Just convert to Hinduism then.

1SDAN likes this.
  14. Enyavar

Enyavar Chieftain

Well, this is just a historical detail and not worth a huge debate, but I wanted to state what I think would be more correct.

Um, how do I convert before it spreads to my lands? The first city never keeps the pagan temple.

With pagan cities in Gallia, Rome and so on, where Christianity spreads, pagan temples should be mostly abandoned and rarely find new uses as churches, imo. The pagan pantheons are just too different from Christianity. Currently, this doesn't happen: Baal temples of all places, are converted to orthodox churches, if orthodoxy is state religion. It may be convenient, but it's not correct.

Hinduism, on the other hand, is based on vedic and brahmanic texts, that were only subsumed under the name 'hindu' in modern times. Vedic and brahmanic temples (proto-hinduism in the sense of our game) should therefore rather convert to Hinduistic temples once the 'official' religion spreads there, regardless of state religion. And they should coexist with Buddhism, or be abandoned when any other religion spreads.
    Just like Olympian (pagan) temples coexist with Judaism and you can even built new ones (!) if Judaism is present. Did that as Greece recently, and had an olympian temple in a jewish city, which I thought was weird. Especially when the temple became an orthodox church later.

On the other hand again, I have seen churches disappear in thin air when another christian confession spreads. In my opinion, christian churches should be kept under the new confession (repurposed churches are common enough).
    I have to check about the inquisition unit, but I'm sure there is also no conversion happening. Example case: state catholicism doesn't have a church but is present in city, Inquisitor purges, say, orthodoxy, which has a church, monastery and cathedral. I would expect the monastery to be dissolved (destroyed for gold), but church and cathedral are repurposed as catholic. Of course, this mechanic wouldn't apply to non-christian faiths, where all places of worship would be destroyed for gold.

1SDAN likes this.
  15. DarkLunaPhantom

DarkLunaPhantom Chieftain Supporter

This was not a serious suggestion.

This system was used pretty much everywhere before it was replaced by calendars with fixed year 1.

16. Leoreth

Yeah.

JHLee likes this.
  17. star15389

star15389 Chieftain

Don't Japanese people learn the era names in school? They do in anime at least

18. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

The current 1700 AD scenario could do with some balance tweaks.
    The Old World nations out-tech New World nations by at least 1 tier by the 1860s.
    Every single wonder from the Industrial Era and beyond is built by the Europeans with the possible exceptions of Guadalupe Cathedral and the Statute of Liberty.
    It is 1864 in my American game and the Britain has Civil Rights, Consumerism, Film, and Pneumatics. France has Flight and Refining.

In my Argentine game there are only 4 Wonders in the entire American continent, and one of them was built by France.
    Surely this was not what the new wonders were included for.

Attached Files:

1SDAN likes this.
  19. Leoreth

So you think it's mostly European tech speed that should be reduced? Do you know who the main culprits are, only England and France? Do New World civs need a boost too and if so which ones?

1SDAN likes this.
  20. JHLee

JHLee Chieftain

English tech speed should definitely be reduced. Also Edinburgh production should probably be nerfed slightly.
    France and Germany are quite fast as well but not sure how tey will be affected once England is nerfed.
    The Netherlands are another crazy wonder hog, I cant guess how this is even possible.
    Russia is also very powerful, because they have both competitive tech and high production.
    The high production enables them to hog half of the industrial~digital era wonders.
    There are a few cases when Iran becomes one of the tech leaders, oddly enough, both in 600 and 1700 scenarios.

Some points I want to make:

The biggest problem IMO is that all the American civs are already quite much behind the Europeans on the moment of their birth. (Unless human players receive less starting techs than AIs) Like,you can easily see Europeans having 5 or so tradable techs on the trade window on the turn of your spawn.
    Most of the American civs spawn with muskeets and hussars while the European colonies already have rifles and dragoons.

USA needs a buff, as currently they lag behind England, France, and even Russia.
    They never become anywhere close to the super powerhouse, tech leader and world best military they are IRL.

Latin American tech speeds are OK I guess, perhaps Columbia needs a small boost.
    They are not exactly the most developed nations IRL, so I dont think they need a huge buff. It would be strange to see Europeans be out-teched by say, Peru or Columbia.

The problem with Latin American civs not being able to build their own wonders should probably be fixed not by adjusting tech rates but making it hard for the Europeans to actually build them.
    More requirements, more boosts from new world resources.

I am only one person, so I say we wait for other players to speak up their opinions as well.
    But I dont think I will be playing as USA or Brazil aiming for UHV in the current version..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018