Suggestions for Civs' Palace Styles

Guandao

Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka
Palaces.jpg

With the revelation that some of the pre-existing Civs (ex: Sumeria, England, Spain) will receive new Palace Styles, I think it is time for a thread about suggestions for new Palace Styles, either for old Civs/City-States, or for new/returning Civs. Feel free to suggest specific palaces/buildings as the inspiration for a new Palace style or an update to a pre-R&F Civ.

List of Changes to pre-existing Civ/City-State Palace styles
America
(using RAM): can stay the same (it's a bit weird they used the Capitol building instead of the White House for the American palace)
Arabia (using RMUG): can stay the same (there doesn't seem to be much trace of Saladin's palace in Cairo left....)
Australia (using a unique Palace): can stay the same
Aztec (using RSA): can stay the same, even though the style is based on a Mesoamerican temple pyramid instead of an actual Aztec palace.
Babylon: unique style
Brazil (using a unique one now) got changed from RSA
Byzantines: has its own unique style
Canada: has its own style
China (using RC): can stay the same, or have its roof flattened
Cree: has its own unique style
Egypt (using RNA): can stay the same
England (using RENG)
Ethiopia: has its own unique style
France (using RE): I guess it can continue using RE, I wouldn't mind a style based on Versailles though
Georgia: shares RBAL with Russia
Germany (using a unique style now)
Gran Colombia (using a unique style)
Greece (using RMED): can stay the same (did ancient Greek palaces have domes though?)
Hungary: has its own unique style
Inca: the Inca have their own unique style
India (using RMUG): I guess it can stay the same, they decided a more Mughal style palace even though the current Indian leaders so far aren't Mughal...
Indonesia (using RIND): change to Majapahit architecture, or Balinese style palace
Japan (using RJ): can stay the same
Khmer (using RIND): can stay the same
Kongo (using RSS): can stay the same
Korea: has its own unique style
Macedon (using RMED)
Mali: has its own unique style
Maori: the Maori have their own unique style
Mapuche: has its own unique style
Maya: has its own unique style (a Mayan temple pyramid)
Mongolia: has its own unique style
Netherlands: has its own unique style
Norway: has its own unique style now
Nubia (using a unique style): can stay the same
Ottoman: has its own unique style
Persia (using RMUG): I guess it works for Islamic Persia, but I would prefer something more like Persepolis
Phoenicia: has its own unique style
Poland (using a unique style): can stay the same
Portugal: unique style
Rome (using RMED): can stay the same
Russia (using RBAL)
Scotland (using RSCT)
Scythia (using RMUG): not sure if it should be changed, did the Scythians have architecture?
Spain (using RSPN)
Sumeria (using RSUM)
Sweden: has its own unique style
Vietnam: Unique style
Zulu: has its own unique style

City-States
Akkad:
currently using RNA, should be changed to RSUM
Anshan:
Antananarivo:
currently using RSS
Armagh: currently using RSCT
Auckland: currently using RE
Ayutthaya:
Bandar Brunei:
currently using RIND
Bologna: currently using RMED
Brussels: currently using RSCT
Buenos Aires: currently using the same palace as Brazil
Caguana: currently using RSA
Cahokia: using the same palace as the Cree
Cardiff: currently using RSCT
Chinguetti:
Fez:
currently using RNA
Geneva: currently using RMED
Granada: currently using RNA, should be changed to RMUG
Hattusa: currently using RMED, should be changed to RSUM
Hong Kong: currently using RJ, should be changed to RC
Hunza: currently using RSA
Jerusalem: currently using RMED, should be changed to the same palace as Phoenicia
Johannesburg:
Kabul:
currently using RMUG
Kandy: currently using RMUG, should be changed to RIND
Kumasi: currently using RSS
La Venta: currently using RSA
Lahore: currently using RMUG
Mexico City: currently using RSA
Mitla: currently using RSA
Mogadishu:
Mohenjo-Daro:
currently using RMUG
Muscat: currently using RMED, should be changed to RMUG
Nalanda:
Nan Madol:
currently using RC, should be changed to RSA perhaps? or share their style with the Maori
Nazca: currently using RSA
Ngazargamu: currently using RNA
Preslav: currently using RMED
Rapa Nui: currently using RIND
Samarkand:
Singapore:
currently using RIND
Taruga: currently using RSS
Valletta: currently using RMED
Vatican City: currently using RMED
Venice:
Vilnius:
currently using RBAL
Wolin:
Yerevan:
currently using RBAL
Zanzibar: currently using RSS

Last edited:
List of Suggestions for New Palace Styles for Returning or New Civs
Returning Civs:
Assyria:
can share RSUM
Austria: can share RE or have one based on Schonbrunn Palace
Denmark: either RE or a unique style shared with Norway, or one based on Sophie Amalienborg
Hittite: can shared RSUM
Iroquois: maybe the Cree palace style? or a fancy looking Longhouse?
Morocco: can share RMUG
Siam: can share RIND
Sioux: share with the Cree? or have one based on a giant Tipi....
Venice: Doge's Palace

New Civs:
Afghanistan:
Tajbeg Palace
Argentina: Casa Rosada
Armenia: RBAL?
Ashanti: Manhyia Palace
Belgium: Royal Palace of Brussels
Benin: Oba of Benin Palace,
Bohemia: Prague Castle or Karlstejn
Brunei: Istana Nurul Iman
Bulgaria: reconstructed Palace of Omurtag
Burma: Kanbawzathadi, Amarapura, Mandalay
Dahomey: Abomey
Finland: Presidential Palace
Hawaii: Kamehameha's house,Iolani Palace,
Indus Valley: RMUG?
Ireland: Rock of Cashel
Israel: a fanciful reconstruction of the Large Stone Structure
Italy: Palazzo Medici Riccardi, Royal Palace of Milan, Doge's Palace in Genoa, Apostolic Palace, Doge's Palace in Venice
Kievan Rus': ? link
Lithuania: Palace of the Grand Dukes
Madagascar: something similar to the Rova of Antananarivo
Malaysia: Melaka Sultanate Palace Museum
Malta: Grandmaster's Palace
Micronesia: something based on Nan Madol
Moors: Alhambra
Muisca: Temple of the Sun, Muisca architecture
Navajo: Window Rock
Nepal: Narayanhity Palace
New Zealand: Premier House
Olmecs: ? RSA?
Oman: Al Alam Palace
Philippines: Malacanang Palace
Powhatan: Lodge
Romania: Bran Castle
Samoa: Samoan Palace,
Seleucid: RMED?
Serbia: Royal Palace in Belgrade,
Somalia: Somali architecture
Sri Lanka: Royal Palace of Kandy or Sigiriya
Swahili: Sultan's Palace or Husuni Kubwa (I know this is getting added as a Wonder)
Switzerland: Federal Palace
Tibet: a variation of the Potala Palace
Timurids: Samarkand architecture
Tlingit: Plank house, Chief Shakes Tribal House,
Tonga: Tongan Royal Palace,
Yoruba: ?RSS?

Last edited:
Brazil
Paço Imperial, the palace of Pedro II and every Emperor before him.
Spoiler Paço Imperial :

For Macedonia, the Skopsko Kale could be good, although it'd have to be made a lot smaller and simplified.
Spoiler Skopje Kale :

View attachment 485778
With the revelation that some of the pre-existing Civs (ex: Sumeria, England, Spain) will receive new Palace Styles, I think it is time for a thread about suggestions for new Palace Styles, either for old Civs/City-States, or for new/returning Civs. Feel free to suggest specific palaces/buildings as the inspiration for a new Palace style or an update to a pre-R&F Civ.

I don't really like the Chinese palace actually.

I presume they dun wanna make its style crush with the Forbidden Palace wonder so they take reference to other palaces.

Maybe they took reference to something like the pic below, a complex with many platforms.

I don't want to complain its accuracy of recreating a chinese palace. But I can't bear the irrational size of the roof.

With the roof being too tall, the main structure just looks...weirdly unbalanced. And what is that chopstick-like giant wood strip on top of the building?

I hope they can flatten the roof to balance the already tall building.

Last edited:
And... despite my many efforts, I still cannot find the entrance of the Egyptian palace. The staircase are leading into the walls IMAO. Cleo must be using a secret passage (or climbing the walls?) into her bedroom.

For Macedonia, the Skopsko Kale could be good, although it'd have to be made a lot smaller and simplified.
Alexander's Macedon is not Republic of Macedonia though.
I agree that Brazil and Portugal could share a similar style.
Also Nan Madol should get an Oceania style, especially if a Polynesian one comes along:

This is the best looking one I could find.
For Norway:

I know it's a picture of a stave church, but these look more impressive and could pass as looking like a wooden palace. Still better than using the pan-European style which I think is really only fine for France.

Alexander's Macedon is not Republic of Macedonia though.
I agree that Brazil and Portugal could share a similar style.
Also Nan Madol should get an Oceania style, especially if a Polynesian one comes along:

This is the best looking one I could find.
For Norway:

I know it's a picture of a stave church, but these look more impressive and could pass as looking like a wooden palace. Still better than using the pan-European style which I think is really only fine for France.

Well, Norway already has the Stave Church as its unique infrastructure, so if we based the new Norwegian palace style on a stave church, it has to be different looking somehow....
Stave Church (Civ6).png

Well, Norway already has the Stave Church as its unique infrastructure, so if we based the new Norwegian palace style on a stave church, it has to be different looking somehow....
View attachment 485816
I know, that one looked more palace-like is what I meant. Here is one I found that looks better:
upload_2018-1-19_11-11-49.jpeg

It's not realistic but I like the concept for the first one: Viking Style.
Castle with the wooden architectural roof. Couldn't find anything resembling it in real life other than gaming/virtual media.

Bohemia could also use Karlštejn Castle.

Karlštejn.jpg

And Venice/Italy could also use Doge's Palace in Venice.

Last edited:
RSS would work for Axum. They had stone palaces like that. I am not sure if the stone walls were covered. Most likely they were.

1.) Unique Palaces should be tied to the leader and not to the civ, since capitals are as well.
2.) Egypt doesn't fit at all to our understanding of Egyptian palaces. In fact, until I looked closer, I always thought it was a Mesopotamian palace.
3.) I personally like palaces that clearly look like the leader/civ they belong to without being just an existing building. They should more be the essence of the architectural style than a certain building imho.
4.) The size adjustment that has to be made for the palaces leads to some looking strange (this is also connected with point 3). Palaces should be designed to look good in that proportions. RSUM, RSS, RMED, RENG and RSPN seem doing very well here. The others have too big roofs or just silly proportions.

That said, Germany needs a nice palace (that doesn't look too French). Barbarossa didn't really use one for a long time. Since Aachen is the capital, the Cathedral there with Charlemagne's throne would fit. It is, however, a Cathedral and not a palace. So if only the Palatine Chapel, that contains the throne room, is used it would be nice. It would look really weird isolated from the Cathedral, though. Burg Hohenstaufen would be a possibility for Frederick, since this is his 'home castle,' it is however not in Aachen and not in a city in general.

5.) Why is America's based on Congress but England's not based on Parliament? England's actually looks like the Parliament building from Victoria BC.

That said, Germany needs a nice palace (that doesn't look too French). Barbarossa didn't really use one for a long time. Since Aachen is the capital, the Cathedral there with Charlemagne's throne would fit. It is, however, a Cathedral and not a palace. So if only the Palatine Chapel, that contains the throne room, is used it would be nice. It would look really weird isolated from the Cathedral, though. Burg Hohenstaufen would be a possibility for Frederick, since this is his 'home castle,' it is however not in Aachen and not in a city in general.
Wasn't Germany getting a new palace? I think it was in the Korean livestream.

RSS would work for Axum. They had stone palaces like that. I am not sure if the stone walls were covered. Most likely they were.
Do you want me to add Axum as a New Civ or consider it Ethiopia?

1.) Unique Palaces should be tied to the leader and not to the civ, since capitals are as well.
2.) Egypt doesn't fit at all to our understanding of Egyptian palaces. In fact, until I looked closer, I always thought it was a Mesopotamian palace.
3.) I personally like palaces that clearly look like the leader/civ they belong to without being just an existing building. They should more be the essence of the architectural style than a certain building imho.
4.) The size adjustment that has to be made for the palaces leads to some looking strange (this is also connected with point 3). Palaces should be designed to look good in that proportions. RSUM, RSS, RMED, RENG and RSPN seem doing very well here. The others have too big roofs or just silly proportions.

Being critical of my specific Palace suggestions? :p Then suggest architectural styles for them!

Do you want me to add Axum as a New Civ or consider it Ethiopia?
I would consider it Ethiopia. In fact that would by my ideal Ethiopia as they did call themselves Ethiopian. :)

5.) Why is America's based on Congress but England's not based on Parliament? England's actually looks like the Parliament building from Victoria BC.

I am thinking why they are not using Windsor castle or Hampton Court for england. This will surely distinct the british architecture from either french or US styles.

Or i dun really mind if they reuse the Westminster Abbey's style or the parliament building (which is used in the big ben wonder) into it.

The new palace makes me mistaken it as white house if it is painted in white.

Last edited:

Totally agree on point 1-4. but i wonder if they will put so much resources into developing these details.

I think the main problem in the Egyptian one lies in the color and texture it is using.

The palace shows brick works, which is a mesopotamian feature. That makes us feel like it is Sumerian ( and weirdly, the sumerian palace does not show much bricks)

The Egyptian style should have a smoother outer surface, like this one. The ancient egyptians polished the outer walls into smooth surfaces and brick work will rarely be shown.

Spoiler Egyptian example :

Spoiler In contrast to a mesopotamian style, taking Ishtar gate as an example: :

In contrast to a mesopotamian style, taking Ishtar gate as an example:

Also the current egyptian palace uses a color too dark. As seen from the above example, it should have a more yellowish and pale sand like color, or sth similar to the sphinx in game.

(although i think Cleo's palace maybe a mixture of greek and egyptian style)

Last edited:
Didn't the Egyptians also paint their palaces and temples? They should be very colourful at least.

Brussels/Belgium
Spoiler :

Preslav/Sofia
Spoiler :

+

Hungary:
Spoiler :

or something in the Danube style (pictured below, the Opera House in the City of Russe, Bulgaria and the Town Square in the city of Timisoara, Romania):

(could be shared between Austria, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria)

Top Bottom