1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by vidimce, Jul 19, 2007.

1. danrh

danrh Chieftain

Well it Sunday, the house is clean and I'm putting off doing the outside so I care enough for another reply :)

Personally I like the idea of the US declaring upon the event of Op Sea Lion since it makes more sense from a game balance point of view for them to do it then than at the end of '41 if Germany has established total hegemony over the UK as well as Western Europe. The other suggestion that Stalin jumps in instead also has merit to maintain balance for the full scenario, as opposed to realistic politics. I'd wonder about the feasability of free forces. ie if when Poland is overrun or if the UK is occupied we get a Polish Free Forces civ appear with a city in some out of the way wilderness area and say 30% of the forces the parent civ started the game with. The single city won't be able to make a big contribution to the build bu but it allows some forces to survive to continue the fight. If the UK were conquered for instance its likely a large portion of the RN would have escaped to Canada.

Just thoughts maybe not for the main RtW even but for spin offs :)

Dan

2. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

One of the best things about this game is that it gives you the ability to play a "What If..." WWII game, something rarely seen. The problem is, it isn't like that. You get unfair advantages no matter who you are playing as. A specific example is Poland/Britan/France. If germany invades any of them in Open Play, the others will not declare war on you. This isn't how it would have been, so it negates the purpose of "What If". I think Poland/UK/France should all begin the game with a Defensive Pact to make it much more interesting. Similar things should be enacted for other countries in the game.

Also, foreign relations should begin with small presets. For example, Germany should begin with a +2 to all Democratic countries (with whatever in-game excuse will fit it best) because of its anti-communist take. This is the actual reason why the Allies didn't do much against the Nazis before WWII. They feared the spread of Communism. This will also help Germany to secure vital oil trades in the Global scenario, at least for before the wars begin.

These types of things will make it feel like we are actually playing in WWII, instead of just a giant map with contries on it using WWII era units.

3. Zulu Impi

Zulu Impi Chieftain

I've been playing and tweaking awhile and have many suggestions. First would be make normal infantry better I upgraded them 5 and they still seem pretty bad. Another thing I did which worked out well is giving antitank units +75 v armor and 1-2 1st strikes(they would get at least the first shot on armored units)

And nations seem to get techs way to fast in my 1938 game as poland germany had advanced infantry in early 1940 and I will get them in a bit. The 1938 scenario might be out of date but its a lot of fun I have actually invaded germany and taken 3 cities their insane production will probably kill me.

A few more would be flesh out some of the more minor factions for instance finland should get some type of elite ski trooper unit. Adding at least different looks would help playability for instance theyre are probably more realistic american skins out there! One last thing would be to script it so as soon as they are about to die poland and france get governments in exile in britain you could use full defeat or whatever makes it so that you can survive with just one unit then maybe have a few units and have to go from there that would be very fun!! Then over time you script in more and more men.

4. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

I agree with you on the Antitank guns. They are far too weak at the moment to be realistic.

5. Zulu Impi

Zulu Impi Chieftain

Well the way I modded it tanks can still beat them but the first strikes make it so its hard to emerge unscathed which is realistic as the anti tank would most of time be able to knock out at least a few tanks before they were spotted and taken out!

I still think non german/russian/chinese infantry are way too bad and russian and chinese infantry were if anything worse then average!!! One thing I modded that's worked well is modding marines so they take about double the production of an infantry I think the same as a light tank but are a 21 instead of 15 its actually very cool as even small nations have like 1 elite unit which I think is good.

6. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

That's a good idea. It gives smaller nations the capability to still have strong armeis, despite their lack of unique units.

7. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

On the subject of oil - I know that Germany's unrealistic oil is there for gameplay purposes. However, I have a suggestion for realism, while still retaining gameplay balance - when Romania joins Germany, or in Open Play mode, its oil source disappears (since in the former, it can receive oil from Romania, and in the latter it can invade an oil-producing nation early on). This would give a nice historical edge to Germany's military actions, as it would have to work to protect foreign oil sources.

8. Fin Imperial

Fin Imperial Monarchist

What if there would be battle strategies/doctrines in form of civics such as:
    Blitzkrieg Doctrine:
    +2 Movement Armored Units
    +1 Strength Armored Units
    Paratroopers can drop and attack same turn
    Cavalry +(???) hammers
    Antitank Gun -2 strength
    Anti-Blitzkrieg doctrine:
    Partisans appear
    Commando upgrade doesn't work against you
    Increased Fighter intercept
    Opportunity fire off
    Total War:
    +50% Military production
    Less anger when sacrificing citizens
    +20% City Defense
    -50% Espionage
    -1 Infantry Stregth
    Trench Warfare:
    Artillery strength +2
    Opportunity Fire when attacking artillery stack
    Armored Units +(???) hammers
    Infantry and artillery -(???) hammers
    Human wave:
    Infantry +1 strenght
    Infantry -(???) hammers
    Cavalry +1 movement
    Cavalry -(???) hammers
    All new units gain guerilla upgrade
    -10% city defense

Here's some I and my friend could figure up. They may be hard to do (I don't know a thing in making these things), but I hope they can be made. Anyone can add up on these, since they not be so accurate.

9. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

That would be very cool if we could balance them effectively. i.e, You could simply change your doctrine based on who you're fighting, and that's unrealistic because armies couldn't retrain themselves for different strategies in 1 turn. (half a month)

Also, the AI wouldn't know how to handle it. They'd use the wrong doctrine for their tactic.

10. Fin Imperial

Fin Imperial Monarchist

But isn't it possible to make the anarchy last more than 1 turns?

11. sangeli

sangeli Major General

I plan on doing something with doctrine, but the ideas fin suggested are not even close to what I had in mind. Instead, doctrine really only affects the AI in their strategies, not in unit strength. For example, with Blitzkrieg the AI produces more tanks and less strategic bombers. The types are:

Blitzkrieg
    Reactionary (to Blitzkrieg)
    WWI Doctrine
    Defensive