Sulla's first Civ V walkthrough

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by OzWiz, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Delgar

Delgar Warlord

Balanced review, I would think, but it does seem that he is speaking very much from a Civ IV point of view.

I would ask that Sulla play for cultural victory in his next game, using the non-cheesy (no selling cities to AI!), small empire route. I would like to hear his comments on that.

2. ston

ston Warlord

How do you raze a city that you've turned into a puppet? The only choice you have AFAIK is to annex if afterwards.

3. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

You annex the city and then press the raze button on the city screen.

4. splinter9

splinter9 Chieftain

Which is, in effect, what happens when you choose raze straight after conquest, since you still get the city and have to wait until it disintegrates and take the happiness hit until it's gone.

5. Unionfield

Unionfield Warlord

Sulla is right on the money. I've honestly started to think that most companies, save for maybe Blizzard, skip generations in trying to make good games. CivII was great, CivIII sucked. CivIV was great, CivV, well, it's not good.

This occurred to me when I was thinking about Stardock's recent troubles. GalCiv good, Demigod bad. Sins of a Solar Empire good, Elemental bad.

6. ston

ston Warlord

Ta :)

7. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

I agree that Civ balance isn't fantastic, but it isn't rubbish either. Every Civ has at least something very nice.
    Civs are balanced at the Civ level, not at the individual ability level.

Ottomans have a rubbish ability, but Janissaries are fantastic - and they retain their advantages when upgraded to rifles/infantry/mech inf!!
    Sipahis also very nice. Insane pillage mania, and unlike other cavalry units they stay useful into the late game for pillaging purposes alone.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Warlord

That's all fine, but the issue is more of a user interface one and it plagues the game in other areas. The game pops up a dialogue box asking you to make an immediate decision yet it gives you absolutely no information (or the ability to access info) regarding your decision.

The same thing happens in diplomacy. A civ pops up asking you to join some pact, but you can't access any information that can help you decide if you want to agree to the pact.

9. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

That makes sense to me.

10. Paragon

Paragon Chieftain

Nice article, though all the comparisons to Civ4 made me think that you just wanted a new Civ4 :)

Firaxis has always stated with the Civ franchise, that they put in 1/3 of the same, 1/3 improved/altered, and 1/3 new stuff in each iteration of Civilization. I think that's what happened in Civ5 too.

As for multiplayer, I can concur with others in this thread that it works fine. Like the rest of the game, it needs some balancing and bugfixing, but its not worse than SP. Autosave each round and it will be fine, and sure the missing leaderheads is annoying, but playing the game is no worse bug-wise than singleplayer in my experience (I play 50/50 SP/MP).

11. ButSam

ButSam King

Microsoft: Windows 95, very bad. Windows 98, tolerable. Windows NT, bad. Windows Me, bad. Windows 2000, bad (but at least stable). Windows XP, decent. Windows Vista, very bad. Windows 7, bad (but better than Vista).

The quality of the product is inversely proportional to the number of people expected to instant-buy the product without consideration of other options.

12. Paragon

Paragon Chieftain

ButSam is right, but the bad financial times aren't helping matters either. These large publicly traded company's need bottom line now, and aren't always good at building long-term customer loyalty when it's their jobs at stake right there and then.

13. mirkwooduk

mirkwooduk Chieftain

I remember Sulla's walkthrough on civ4 it was great and really set the scene whilst we waited for the release in Europe
    It was about creating a story telling a tale whilst taking you through all the features
    It was remembered fondly on Lemmys thread as he did a similar but humorous walkthrough this time around with civ5
    So I was looking forward to reading it but found that this time Sulla has become a critic and when you read it he has basically told us it's broken and he gives this time a completely different analysis which if I had read before buying this game like I did with 4 he may have put me off

I don't know whether in the five years he has now become an ubber player or he's just hot he was not involved in the development but whatever he seems to have lost the romance this time around
    Lemmys thread told it as Sulla did last time - it's a fun game and despite all the crap thrown at it on these threads what stands out is that everyone is spending hours playing it so it can't be that bad
    For myself I am not a great player but get by and enjoy the game for the reasons Sulla laid out so well on civ4 the reason we all enjoy it the addiction the just one turn getting angry with bismark (or montezuma) and watching him plead when the tabled are turned
    Yes there are things that need looking at like the AI in combat but overall I have enjoyed it like I enjoyed civ4
    But even civ4 had a shelf life once you played it enough times it got boring to be buying every building and those endless turns as giant armies crawled about taking city after city

Well I for one say bring back the old romantic Sulla and let all the others complain and whing

Now just one more turn and I can get that city in the north and take the wine improve my happiness and ...oh just give a glass

14. Gerurun

Gerurun Chieftain

I'm not sure what multiplayer problems he's talking about since I've played dozens of games since release with only relatively minor issues.

15. Mivo

Mivo Warlord

It doesn't work "fine" for any of my colleagues and friends who tried it. It barely works for me, and it feels like an alpha test for pre-production network code. Incomplete and unstable. Usually you can't even get a game started.

16. Paragon

Paragon Chieftain

I'm sorry you are having those issues. I can only speak for myself that everything has been pretty smooth in MP (and can see others posting the same too).

17. Aneurism

Aneurism Prince

Sulla,
    This is the most honest review out there for Civ5. I agree about 95% with all of your opinions on the game. Especially the lack of easy to read stats! Excellent work! :goodjob:

One other thing I noticed was that some units are randomly ignored for a couple of turns even when they have full movement and are not automated, or have been given multiple turn orders. Weird.

I miss the clock option in Civ4 it was a nice little feature that would be super easy to implement into Civ5.

Myself I have played 1 1/2 full games and despite agreeing with Sulla's criticism, I am still liking Civ5, and I am a bit more optimistic on its future... patching and expansions should round out the game and fix its current bugs and unbalanced exploits. I chalk it up to a bit of a rushed launch. Only time will tell, and in the mean time the Novelty factor is more than enough to keep me going. :D

It does make you wonder... :sad:

18. ButSam

ButSam King

Good point as well, Paragon. Lots of uncertainty right now, bad economy, and uncertain tax liabilities in the USA for next year -- businesses have to plan for the worst and hope for the best. That could be why it seems a lot less playtested, and why AI seems less capable...

19. vandyr

vandyr Prince

I couldn't finish reading it...which is sad, because I loved Sulla's older stuff, but this was basically a big complaint (with pictures) that Civ 5 isn't Civ 4 2.0.

20. fantsu

fantsu Prince

True. It isn't Civ 4 2.0, it is Civ Rev 2.0.