Sullla's Ideas for a New Civ

I think Sulla made some great points in his criticism of Civ 5, but in general I agree with some of the other posters here. Tactical combat is probably a mistake in a Civ game. With finite game design resources, it is difficult to make a game that is a great strategy game and a great tactical game. The Total War series has this problem. The real-time battles are pretty fun, but (in my opinion) the strategy game is extremely monotonous and drawn-out. Sure you can auto-resolve the battles, but that's where the fun is! But if you play out the battles, even a "short" campaign takes dozens of hours, and, frankly, I don't have time to play out those long games.

I also don't like the "bigger is better" idea. In history, bigger has certainly not always been better. Most large, multi-ethnic empires eventually fall apart because it has proven very difficult to hold all those people (and that territory) together, especially before the advent of modern communication and transportation technology.

I agree that there needs to be some deep thinking to make "New Civ" a great game, and putting idea out there is always good. I just don't think I'd like Sulla's "New Civ."

I agree more with you, Camikaze, than with him

I think Sulla made some great points in his criticism of Civ 5, but in general I agree with some of the other posters here. Tactical combat is probably a mistake in a Civ game. With finite game design resources, it is difficult to make a game that is a great strategy game and a great tactical game. The Total War series has this problem. The real-time battles are pretty fun, but (in my opinion) the strategy game is extremely monotonous and drawn-out. Sure you can auto-resolve the battles, but that's where the fun is! But if you play out the battles, even a "short" campaign takes dozens of hours, and, frankly, I don't have time to play out those long games.

I also don't like the "bigger is better" idea. In history, bigger has certainly not always been better. Most large, multi-ethnic empires eventually fall apart because it has proven very difficult to hold all those people (and that territory) together, especially before the advent of modern communication and transportation technology.

I think it's ok if bigger is better in terms of production, but it's questionable should it automatically be more advanced in science too. It wouldn't be realistic either as there have been advanced small countries (like ancient Athens). Civ4 had fairly good balance as it was possible to win space race with a small empire even on higher levels while gigantic empires had much more production.

Sullla's proposition was basically "Civ4 with tactical combat" and some minor modifications to other systems like tech. I think it wouldn't make for a very good game. All SP strategy games (I know) where you see tactical combat are totally dominated by the player's ability to completely screw the AI. Examples of this are Civ5, all Total War games and Heroes of Might and Magic. I never played Masters of Orion but I highly doubt it had a very competent AI. This means you have to sacrifice immersion by making things highly asymmetric in terms of unit strength or unit number to provide any kind of challenge.

Now, there's no AI you can't easily fool because there will always be some flaws you can exploit, but tactical combat adds hundreds of potential flaws. Always auto-resolving sounds like the better option to me.

I completely disagree about the sliders, which weren't used because they work, but because it'd always been done that way. The system in Civ5 isn't that great, either, but making tech and culture harder to come by than simply choosing a different slider setting is in my opinion a good thing. The most annoying part of the sliders is that you can simply change them on a whim to make your whole country do something completely different, and this is not only totally immersion-breaking but also means you basically only have one variable you need to improve.

The tech ideas are ok but nothing very innovative (not that Sullla claimed New Civ would be very innovative ;)). One problem I have with it is that with the still predictable tech tree but missing random techs it's neither one thing nor the other. You will be tempted to think about a certain strategy beforehand and then frustratingly screwed out of the strategy by the RNG. I think you either need to go for a game where you take techs "as they come" and have little control over research at all, or a system like Civ where you can decide on a strategy and then be reasonably sure that you can implement it to some extent. If you want randomness, you could randomize tech paths, for example the Civ4 OR requirements could be used by only allowing one of each for every game instead of making them optional.

I agree about transparent diplomacy. You should be able to tell what a civ thinks of you. There should be some small backstab chance, though, if the situation is right. For example, if you totally neglect army, a more powerful neighbor should try to make you a vassal, and if you refuse, they should get a high chance to declare war.

Don't want to chime in with too many of my own ideas, anyways, this thread is about Sullla's propositions.

As far as history goes, 4x games have never been good at simulating science though. The very idea of a science slider is completely contrary to how it actually worked... But then, it is impossible for a game to model history; games can only take on a history-like aesthetic.

Seems to me this is combining the best aspects of Civ with the best aspects of MoO and a few other games.
As Civ and MoO are my all time favourite games I'd pre-order this if it was ever to be made.
Definately a winner imo.

I've only read the combat bit so far, and then only really skimmed it. My general sense is as follows.

The problem with Civ V is that it presents an impossible compromise with respect to combat. It introduces "tactical" combat, but only does so half-heartedly, and does so on a strategic-scale (well, sorta) map. We've seen the problems 1UPT creates. Traffic jams, carpet o' doom, idiot AI that has no idea how to fight, etc. Of course, there is now a substantial contingent that REFUSES to go back to Stacks o' Doom.

I can understand this, to some degree. Stacks o' Doom irritated me in Civ IV, especially as someone who was more of a builder type. I do not, however, see 1UPT as an improvement.

So, I think folks need to decide what it is they're trying to do. Do they want to eliminate SOD but don't particularly care how that gets done? Well, that can be managed. There are other options that allow multiple units in a tile, but which blunt the effectiveness of SOD.

On the other hand, if the theory is "We want to implement tactical combat," you really don't have any other options aside from doing one of two things: (1) switch to a smaller-scale tactical map and fight your battles that way, or (2) turn the main map into a tactical map. Personally, I think #1 is a LOT friendlier to the Civ model than #2, which requires a whole rethinking of the scale of the game and all manner of scaling aspects. Is a warrior a single dude, a platoon, an army, what? Is a hex a set geographic area of land? Civ has NEVER dealt with scale in anything approaching a realistic fashion, so imposing that kind of realism and nitty-gritty detail...yeah, that's gonna be a problem.

IF you want TACTICAL combat, then you need a tactical-scale map. You need to be able to make unit-facing count. You need fields of fire to matter. You need limited tactical movement options. And so on. Towards that end, the Master of Orion model is probably the most simple and elegant approach to implementing some kind of tactical combat in a Civ game. MOO2 especially did this, with weapon arcs, shield facing, etc. actually mattering. Personally, I'd LOVE "Master of Civilization," but I don't think that's about to happen any time soon.

Regardless, I'm not 100% sure people WANT actual TACTICAL combat, because tactical combat is a lot more nitty gritty than folks may be into. I think what they want more is combat that involves a bit more thought than just "My big stack beats your small stack. Period." And I think you can have that WITH stacks, and WITHOUT the headaches that 1UPT in its current form brings.

So, Sulla's idea is great IF you want tactical combat. I just don't think that everyone who's a fan of 1UPT really wants that, as much as they want more of a challenge than just Big Stack > Small Stack.

Anyway, I'll respond in more detail when I have a bit more time to read it more closely.

Although I like the idea about a more empire feeling game, most of his ideas I found myself not very confortable with.

It's great to see that you have thousands of soldiers that combat in more realistic way than few (lose/win -> regeneration) we have. Dunno how the system would be balanced to not be over important and time consuming. Another problem is if individual units can be so cheaply produced, what stops a player from making lots of units with the sole purpose of pilaging improvements, a thing I already feel frustrating, even more so in FFH and Masters of Mana (maybe some atrict in foreing lands should exist etc.).

Love the back of sliders but I think should keep hexes, as they are better than tiles.

I agree that bigger empires being powerhouses of production, but there should be factors to balance between big and small empires, for example: what if the bigger empires would have a hard time having a cohesive culture, but culture would need more aspect to, maybe influence in the happines and production systems.

The tech tree I really disliked, as it feel (for me of course) too gamey, doens't portrait historic advancements too well (like in Sulla's example, in wich a player know how to produce tanks but not how to produce oil), things should be linked in some way. I like the idea of 'some' randomizantion, though.
----------
There other aspects I would like to comment, but I ran out of time now. Overall a good read and thanks for the thread Camikaze.

As far as history goes, 4x games have never been good at simulating science though. The very idea of a science slider is completely contrary to how it actually worked... But then, it is impossible for a game to model history; games can only take on a history-like aesthetic.

Yeah, it's the problem of innovation. For civ, we can set goals to to get technologies and ideologies we already know about, but it says nothing about the real world pressures on civilization for such things to develop. Invention in itself would exist with just individual human agency, and tech chains on that should probably be just semi-random events, qualified with the era's social and environmental forces, and its tools and resources. If this is fun or interesting is questionable!
For wider issues we need to ask questions - when could have meaningful flight been invented. China had those paper hot air balloons around 200AD, what issues prevented them from developing that so they could carry people? Would Marxism be meaningful if a society did not have class divisions? Is currency inevitable to develop an ecomy? Would Christianity have taken off or even initiated if the middle east was stable?

I strongly oppose a tacitcal overlay. I've found it extremely tedious in the past; auto-resolve is an unsatisfactory option because the AI is so terrible, but eating even a few seconds of load time per fight once you've reached mop-up mode is so tedious as to completely dissuade me from finishing out the game.

Basically, I'd find many of the same problems as are already present in CiV, with the added pain of loading into and out of tactical combat, which could include unit placement pre-battle and combat summaries post-battle.

I really think people oversell the faults of 1UPT. CiV is so lacking in so many other areas that we feel the drawbacks of 1UPT more keenly.

Definitely not fond of Sullla's ideas and even oppose them.

Regarding the insane number of units...Upkeep???

Regarding the "auto-resolve combat" for those who don't like the tactical combat suggestion...The AI is an idiot. It will use your army in moronic ways and as such "auto-resolve" isn't really an option unless you have already won the game.

And most opposed to the "Go big or go home" sentiment...One-size-fits-all (that size being huge or huge-er) strips the players of all choices that matter in the greater scheme of things.

Personally, I think 'New Civ' should look to Paradox for the solution to the upkeep matter. Split the Civ-HOI difference... introduce a logistics aspect, so it's not JUST gold... it should be a balanced combination of supplies (fine with food being an abstraction for this) and cost. Techs and structures could modify this - roads provide bonuses, for example.

I also think armies should be brought back in some form. Why CiV didn't hit upon this as a solution to the whole 1UpT is beyond me -- but an army concept makes infinite sense. It allows you to group units (say, DEF + RANGE + ATTACK) appropriately.

I'd, again - love to see a simplified paradox system... You don't need to go brigades --> divisions --> corps --> Army --> Army group, but there should be a system that allows appropriate groupings into a cohesive unit. So long as you're going to force tactical battles onto a strategic map - I don't see any good way to avoid this.

I'd also disagree on the inability to create a proper tactical resolution system -- heck -- Imperialism's tactical resolution was rote, but pretty good. AoW likewise was decent (especially in open field, the AI would bunch up at doors and wall breaches when attacking a city, but that's relatively easy to solve). A tactical map of hex or squares, movement points, and ranged attack was present in both of those titles -- and BOTH of those titles are more than 10 years old! Any developer should be able to hit a 10 year old target -- the basic mechanics haven't changed.

In every strategy game I've played with a tactical overlay, I felt like I had to play out every combat manually because it was rare that using auto-resolve or allowing the AI to control my units didn't feel like kicking myself in the head. I would do that for a week or three, until I had a good handle on the strategy side of it, and then I'd use the strategy side of the game to help me avoid needing to use the tactical overlay by always outnumbering the AI by enough to win without it. Battles almost always felt like chores. I generally only used tactical combat if I needed to cheese the AI to survive because I was hopelessly outclassed. When I think back at the games where I recall enjoying the combat, it wasn't the ones with particularly deep gameplay or strategy (like the Total War series), it was the extremely simplified and deterministic ones that made it fun to cheese the AI without it becoming boring, like Master of Orion 2 or Master of Magic. I can't imagine breaking the flow of a Civ game to play out a MoM or MoO2 style tactical battle every time units clashed, though. One of the things that is most appealing to me about the Civ series is how the strategy and tactics are integrated on one playfield. Civ5 has pushed the game even further that way, by removing most of the "Spreadsheet Overlay" (sliders) and moving their functionality to buildings and improvements.

I strongly oppose a tacitcal overlay. (...)
I really think people oversell the faults of 1UPT. CiV is so lacking in so many other areas that we feel the drawbacks of 1UPT more keenly.

That is a statement which I don't really understand.

A tactical overlay should somehow be the dream of anybody loving 1upt (or at least being ok with it).

For wider issues we need to ask questions - when could have meaningful flight been invented. China had those paper hot air balloons around 200AD, what issues prevented them from developing that so they could carry people? Would Marxism be meaningful if a society did not have class divisions? Is currency inevitable to develop an ecomy? Would Christianity have taken off or even initiated if the middle east was stable?
Answering some questions- Yes currency is needed to advance an economy and Christianity didn't advanced because of mid East instability, but because of it's mensage, wich was apealling and revolutionary for the time. Remember that it started at Rome's High power and spread towards Turkey and Greece, two well stabilished and rich provinces. It never got a great hold middle east. How exactly instabilibity there helped?

At OP. Good that you took the time to bring thiss ideas to us, but I feel that Sullla's better as an analist than as a designer. Some of his ideas are good, but some things like the tactical map, the gaps in Science and the way economy is suposed to work,... I don't know... it feels of mark.

Answering some questions- Yes currency is needed to advance an economy and Christianity didn't advanced because of mid East instability, but because of it's mensage, wich was apealling and revolutionary for the time. Remember that it started at Rome's High power and spread towards Turkey and Greece, two well stabilished and rich provinces. It never got a great hold middle east. How exactly instabilibity there helped?

The instability in the sense as it was a time of revolutionary sentiment and dissent over occupation amongst other things. Could the Christian revolution exist if the population were happier with their lot, and what are the psycho and sociological reasons behind their happiness. With currency, what forces are there to give it meaning, why would it be necessary for these forces to exist, and what can negate them?

That is a statement which I don't really understand.

A tactical overlay should somehow be the dream of anybody loving 1upt (or at least being ok with it).

I agree.

The problem with 1Upt without any sort of tactical overlay is that I think the scale problems irrevocably ruin both. Either I need to be able to build components (where components are different unit types serving different purposes) and group them into a unit to move around on a strategic map as a single entity under one entity per tile rule, or, I have to be able to tactically resolve individual unit combat.

I think that's the biggest flaw in 1UpT thinking -- the idea that we can just organically grow a chessboard.... Chess 'works' not just because of the finely balanced pieces -- but because of the scale. Add another column or row (or multiple rows/column) on the board and it no longer works -- the attributes of the pieces no longer work and you can't just scale them up as a factor of rows/columns added.

It's extremely difficult to make tactical and strategic work on a map/board if you DON'T make a 'space' into a commodity (and that's basically what 1UpT does - it turns a tile into a commodity) -- previous Civ iterations with stacks did OK with it, but I think that once you cross that threshhold of commoditizing tile spaces for your units, you either have to make it a tactical map or a strategic map.

The scale problem doesn't ruin 1UPT. For me anyway. It's a game - realistic scale is already thrown out the window.

There is one thing that could make that 1UPT, in my opinion, perfect. That's 1 Unit of Type Per Tile...and allow units to pass through igoring that limit.

Have you played a game on the Earth Map with accurate start locations as Rome? Try it some time and tell me that the 1UPT convention cannot be a game killer. Seriously. The Italian peninsula is 1 hex wide. That's 1 hex for a worker and a soldier and THAT IS IT. You cannot fit ANYONE else on that hex. Not now, not ever, not unless you use a mod, which pretty much defeats the purpose of 1UPT. You can modify the map this way or that, but the problem persists.

Plus, it's not just the map headaches or the micromanagement necessary. It's the fact that 1UPT necessitates a range of other design decisions to support it. Taken on its own, it's an annoying pain in the ass, but not an insurmountable one. Modding it away, though, still leaves plenty of other issues that need to be addressed which were -- apparently -- created to make 1UPT "work."

In every strategy game I've played with a tactical overlay, I felt like I had to play out every combat manually because it was rare that using auto-resolve or allowing the AI to control my units didn't feel like kicking myself in the head. I would do that for a week or three, until I had a good handle on the strategy side of it, and then I'd use the strategy side of the game to help me avoid needing to use the tactical overlay by always outnumbering the AI by enough to win without it. Battles almost always felt like chores. I generally only used tactical combat if I needed to cheese the AI to survive because I was hopelessly outclassed. When I think back at the games where I recall enjoying the combat, it wasn't the ones with particularly deep gameplay or strategy (like the Total War series), it was the extremely simplified and deterministic ones that made it fun to cheese the AI without it becoming boring, like Master of Orion 2 or Master of Magic. I can't imagine breaking the flow of a Civ game to play out a MoM or MoO2 style tactical battle every time units clashed, though. One of the things that is most appealing to me about the Civ series is how the strategy and tactics are integrated on one playfield. Civ5 has pushed the game even further that way, by removing most of the "Spreadsheet Overlay" (sliders) and moving their functionality to buildings and improvements.

I don't disagree with you, although I've always enjoyed MOO. Usually in MOO1 and MOO2, I had sufficient leads that I could eventually just autoresolve combat, although I did enjoy some battles. They could be a chore, though, no question.

But that, ultimately, is the nature of tactical combat. ANY tactical game is going to involve LONG battles. X-com, MOO1 and MOO2, Total War, Steel Panthers, Battleground, etc., etc., etc. The tactical battles take a while to resolve. This is why I say that I doubt people who like 1UPT actually really like tactical fighting. If they did, they wouldn't mind the "tactical phase." The problem is that, without MASSIVELY increasing the size of the game map, you cannot integrate tactical combat with the "main" screen in Civ. You just don't have the space.

So what's the solution? I'm not sure "autoresolve" is the perfect choice, although it's better than forcing people to fight the tactical battles (actually, often in Total War I'd skip the RTS battles and autoresolve to get back to the building!). I do, however, think there are other options.

I agree.

The problem with 1Upt without any sort of tactical overlay is that I think the scale problems irrevocably ruin both. Either I need to be able to build components (where components are different unit types serving different purposes) and group them into a unit to move around on a strategic map as a single entity under one entity per tile rule, or, I have to be able to tactically resolve individual unit combat.

That raises an idea that could combine elements of Civs 2-4 into something that would retain the "single screen" approach to combat, while still allowing for SOME thought to go into fighting, and avoiding simply "Big stack wins."

Here's one option for a system. Units can all be stacked on a single tile. You can move them together, or move them individually. The "top" unit is auto-selected to be the strongest unit vs. the unit that attacks it (a la Civ 4). However, if your "top" unit dies, your ENTIRE stack dies with it (a la Civ 2). Thus, there becomes a DISincentive to stack units, at least in close proximity to enemy troops. You could offset the disincentive by creating armies. An army becomes a single unit that gets combined strength and modifiers from its component units (a la Civ 3). So, your "stack" is no longer just a Pikeman standing "on top" of all your other units, who is royally screwed if he runs into a Maceman. You could create an army consisting of a maceman, pikeman, knight, and trebuchet, which would pretty much be able to take on any single unit and survive.

To balance out the strength of this unit, you could make it so that armies CANNOT be disbanded once created. You stick your unit in that army, and it's stuck. You can upgrade the individual units over time (IE: spearmen can upgrade to become pikemen even if the other units are still swordsmen and horsemen), but you cannot "unstack" them. Ever. This creates different considerations for how to compose your armies. Do you focus more on defense or offense? Are you primarily threatened by a particular type of enemy? Will your army be able to effectively garrison a city, or would that city be better defended by an army of nothing but archers? And so on and so forth.

Now, what's wrong with this idea? Well, for one thing, it strikes me as being INCREDIBLY gamey, and thus a bit immersion-breaking. But then, just about all combat in Civ strikes me as gamey and immersion-breaking. None of the Civ entries have effectively (to my tastes, anyway) modeled combat in a way that DIDN'T seem like "oh, these are just rules for the sake of rules." I think this comes from Civ 1 which was basically a straight board-game-on-your-PC in terms of how combat worked. Very basic rules, binary combat (you win or are destroyed utterly), etc. Each successive iteration has tried to address the flaws of the previous iteration, while introducing new flaws of its own, and each time, the new system is STILL gamey -- because it's trying to "fix" the LAST system which was, itself, gamey.

So, maybe a better way to approach this is to think in terms of what these concepts are designed to model. What is your real-world guide as far as what restrictions you want to place on combat, armies, etc., and what concepts do you NOT want to include because they're either too nitpicky or too "unfun" for a game? That's a very tough question to answer, and it is, I think, a question that many of the Civ games haven't even really bothered to ASK, let alone answer.

I think that's the biggest flaw in 1UpT thinking -- the idea that we can just organically grow a chessboard.... Chess 'works' not just because of the finely balanced pieces -- but because of the scale. Add another column or row (or multiple rows/column) on the board and it no longer works -- the attributes of the pieces no longer work and you can't just scale them up as a factor of rows/columns added.

It's extremely difficult to make tactical and strategic work on a map/board if you DON'T make a 'space' into a commodity (and that's basically what 1UpT does - it turns a tile into a commodity) -- previous Civ iterations with stacks did OK with it, but I think that once you cross that threshhold of commoditizing tile spaces for your units, you either have to make it a tactical map or a strategic map.

Well said. You can either "embiggen" the map to match the scale of the units, shrink the units to fit the scale of the map (IE: allow stacking), or create a two-tiered system with strategic and tactical views. But you can't do both strategy and tactics in the same view.

Top Bottom