Superstitions

Hydromancerx

C2C Modder
Perhaps we should have some sort of auto-build buildings that deal with Superstitions. While many are negative I think some could be positive too. Likewise perhaps religion and what religious civics you have should play a part.

Once you reach say scientific method some of them should fade. Or even develop into urban myths. Maybe even have "Mythbusters" as a Wonder that replaces all myths and thus cancels them out.

What do you guys think? Any ideas on what types of Superstitions there should be? Lets brainstorm!

Witches be makin mah cows' milk sour and cursing me to stub my toe with their evil eyes. Break out the torches and kindling. Perhaps a turn or two of unrest at random intervals. More frequent with oppressive religious civics and/or number of foreign religions in the city.

Just some info on witch burning:

The classical period of witchhunts in Europe and North America falls into the Early Modern period or about 1480 to 1750, spanning the upheavals of the Reformation and the Thirty Years' War, resulting in an estimated 40,000 to 60,000 executions.

@hydro

Idea similar to Archids bad omens mod comp. Please see it.

Superstitions could lead to 'tales', buildings that can be built by our Storytellers. I wouldn't have it KILL the Storyteller... but I could see Storytellers being able to go to a town, learn of a tale, then be used to spread that tale around to other towns (chances of success at learning it, and then getting it to spread based on the skills of the storyteller.) These superstitions could be derived from tales or tales could be derived from superstitions, or both. Superstitions AND tales could be envisioned by storytellers and the selections of superstitions and tales available to be envisioned in a given city could be then based on Religions and Cultures local to the city.

Giving out neat little Storyteller units more to do would be really cool. I think they, along with Missionaries and such, are some really fertile ground for ultra neat developments still.

@hydro

Idea similar to Archids bad omens mod comp. Please see it.

You have a link?

Superstitions could lead to 'tales', buildings that can be built by our Storytellers. I wouldn't have it KILL the Storyteller... but I could see Storytellers being able to go to a town, learn of a tale, then be used to spread that tale around to other towns (chances of success at learning it, and then getting it to spread based on the skills of the storyteller.) These superstitions could be derived from tales or tales could be derived from superstitions, or both. Superstitions AND tales could be envisioned by storytellers and the selections of superstitions and tales available to be envisioned in a given city could be then based on Religions and Cultures local to the city.

Giving out neat little Storyteller units more to do would be really cool. I think they, along with Missionaries and such, are some really fertile ground for ultra neat developments still.

I do like the tales idea. Very cool! There are so much social aspects we could be doing that have not been covered before.

@DH
Agree mine warfare is much cooler :)

I would suggest that Orion Veteran's Mine Warfare mod be merged before the bad Omens mod both require dll work.

I do have the Mine Warfare dll work on my todo list still... it's nearing. S'pose I could add the Bad Omens stuff to that list too.

Are you still looking for superstitions? I have a few from Russia, where peoples' supersititions range to pre-Christian times. My girlfriend is also very, very well versed in fairytales, folklore and mythology. I could pick her brain about that, and get you a LOT of superstitions.

I personally love this idea. It could be tied to terrain, cultures, technology, events, religions...

I like the ideas, but some supersitions look so random, so linked to a culture or a group of culture...
Maybe as a side-effect of some events. For exemple, the fire event can have a 30% chance to give Superstition (Fire spirit). The unlucky assassin a chance to give Superstition (Vampire Leader), Superstition(Immortal guardians) or the like (depending of the choix and some others parameters.

So not everyone will have the same superstition in his game

If your going to give an ability to spread superstitions (e.g. By story tellers), then having a superstition had better be a good thing (well, I guess spy's can spread bad ones to foreign cities perhaps). Either way, if its something you can influence (by actively spreading them in some ways), then it needs AI, which gets much harder if its not unconditionally good (or bad) to spread them. It's essentially analogous to spreading religions - the AI can reasonably assume hat spreading its religion is unconditionally a good thing - even though that is not strictly accurate in all circumstances, its a good enough approximation to be workable.

I like the ideas, but some supersitions look so random, so linked to a culture or a group of culture...
Maybe as a side-effect of some events. For exemple, the fire event can have a 30% chance to give Superstition (Fire spirit). The unlucky assassin a chance to give Superstition (Vampire Leader), Superstition(Immortal guardians) or the like (depending of the choix and some others parameters.

So not everyone will have the same superstition in his game

We have to be careful though. We don't want this to become a fantasy game. Any effects should be psychological manifestations. Thus people can be :) or :mad: based of belief or fear. But we are not say adding flying witch units because that would be in the fantasy realm. But having a Witch Superstition is fine since people historically believed in them and even practiced witchcraft believing they were witches.

We have to be careful though. We don't want this to become a fantasy game. Any effects should be psychological manifestations. Thus people can be :) or :mad: based of belief or fear. But we are not say adding flying witch units because that would be in the fantasy realm. But having a Witch Superstition is fine since people historically believed in them and even practiced witchcraft believing they were witches.

I was more thinking about a national stability bonus (immortal leader), a national instability malus (Vampire leader) or a +1 :mad: from Volcanoes, -5 flamability (Fire spirit)

My ideas was more about some "animist" superstition than european medieval one.

If your going to give an ability to spread superstitions (e.g. By story tellers)

Nice idea :). NOw story tellers have very little options to do with them.

We can also use them to spread myths and tales

Can we have modern superstitions? That is urban legends and conspiracy theories.
These superstitions would thrive on low education level and get removed by high education level autobuildings.
Basically these would work like disease, but caused by low education levels.

Ignorance can cause some damage to your civilization :p

Of course these could exist in earlier eras.

Last edited:
Top Bottom