Support bonuses

acluewithout

Deity
I've read a few threads about support bonuses, and how they compare to flanking bonuses, and I still don't think I quite understand them.

Is this correct?:

1. Units get support and flanking bonuses for having units next to them.'

2. A support bonus applies when defending. A flanking bonuses applies when attacking. So, they are basically the same thing, just called different names depending on whether you're attacking or defending.

3. Ranged units do not get a flanking bonus when making ranged attacks. So, an archer's attack is not stronger because it has a melee unit or another archer standing next to it.

4. Ranged units ignore support bonuses when making ranged attacks. So, a catapult does not benefit from any additional defence from ranged attacks just because it has an anti-cav unit standing next to it.

Okay, so why is this in the ideas forum? Assuming I'm right about the above, would there be any problems if support bonus (i.e. the defensive bonus) did provide defence to ranged attacks?

It would obviously make ranged weaker, but I think in a good way. And it would make anti-cav a little more useful overall.

Alternatively, would it be better to have a new sort of bonus, say "shielding bonus", which worked exactly like a support bonus, but only anti-cav could provide the bonus, and only to bombard line units.

Top Bottom