Supreme Court of the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Democrats don't do all in their power to stonewall everything and anything he does I will regard them as craven traitors.

And if they don't wait to see what he does before they decide to do that, then yes they are craven traitors.

I didn't vote for him and am not thrilled that he won either.
But like those that didn't vote for Obama, he deserves to be judged by what he does as President.

And if they don't wait to see what he does before they decide to do that, then yes they are craven traitors.

Look at who Trump is appointing to run the government.
We already know, in broad outline, what he's going to do. Acting like there's uncertainty at this point is tantamount to trolling.
Of course, I'm not sure how the Democrats could obstruct what Trump does before he does it. Sure, if he turns into the second coming of Olof Palme I'll say don't obstruct him. But we both know that isn't happening.

Yes probably not. But to blindly obstruct everything would be conceding that they're as bad as the republicans were.
We really don't need 4 more years of that. Unless it's really necessary of course.

Yes probably not. But to blindly obstruct everything would be conceding that they're as bad as the republicans were.
We really don't need 4 more years of that. Unless it's really necessary of course.

I think 4 years of federal government being completely paralyzed is one of the better possible outcomes of this election.

Of course, you can blame your own party first and foremost since your politicians were the ones who started this (really, they began it under Clinton) and your voters rewarded them for it.

I may be a republican, but I didn't condone it then and DID NOT reward them by voting for trump. Or a couple other obstructionists also. I did vote for a few repubs that didn't play that game.

It take a better man to stop something that someone else started. But if you want be just as bad, and reward them for it by voting for them, feel free. It is your right, but don't complain about others that did the same thing.

You could at least wait till he takes office and has made the rich richer until you judge his actions as completely evil.
But it's obvious that you're so biased that it really doesn't matter.

Yes, he's likely to suck as president, but at least you should wait till he actually sucks.
There were a lot of people that thought Obama was going to suck also.

Why wait? Every name he's put forward so far is completely unacceptable. And he's already started horribly damaging our foreign policy, what with the receiving calls from Taiwan Chinese Taipei winkwink and promising to visit Pakistan. And he's not accepting briefings from anybody. Pretending that Trump will make a good president at this point is like 49ers fans pretending back in August that Chip Kelly was going to somehow fix their dumpster fire of a roster.

It take a better man to stop something that someone else started. But if you want be just as bad, and reward them for it by voting for them, feel free. It is your right, but don't complain about others that did the same thing.

I'll complain because I kind of liked having a Constitutional system of limited government with checks and balances, but I see that being destroyed.
This is in effect a game-theoretical or 'war' situation. I want to win elections and stop the Republicans from destroying the country; telling myself I was the better man is not a substitute for that.

In any case, as I've indicated it's bad policy I want obstructed, not every policy pushed by a certain politician or party simply because it's them doing it. The latter is what the Republicans have done for years. I wish I was more surprised that you can't seem to tell the difference between the two.

Why wait? Every name he's put forward so far is completely unacceptable. And he's already started horribly damaging our foreign policy, what with the receiving calls from Taiwan Chinese Taipei winkwink and promising to visit Pakistan. And he's not accepting briefings from anybody. Pretending that Trump will make a good president at this point is like 49ers fans pretending back in August that Chip Kelly was going to somehow fix their dumpster fire of a roster.

Completely unacceptable to you.
Every previous nomination was totally unacceptable to somebody.

I wish they hadn't blocked Obama's nomination, it was his right to nominate, just like it will be Trumps.

The Dems whined when it wasn't put up to a vote. Now want to act the same way but pretend it's the moral high ground. Plain BS

If they want to be jerks just like the republicans were, fine, but don't pretend that now it's different.

It should have come up to a vote and hopefully it will in the future.

And as long as no one else dies, one vote isn't going to change the court much. It's the second one that will.

The Republicans were saying let the people decide who should pick our next Justice. More people chose Hillary, so I assume Trump is going to let her make the pick.

The Republicans were saying let the people decide who should pick our next Justice. More people chose Hillary, so I assume Trump is going to let her make the pick.

Rah, this sums up the difference between upcoming Democratic party obstruction and previous Republican party obstruction quite handily.

I may be a republican, but I didn't condone it then and DID NOT reward them by voting for trump. Or a couple other obstructionists also. I did vote for a few repubs that didn't play that game.

The Democrats have been being 'the bigger man' in American politics since they declined to impeach Reagan for any of his several acts of treason. And every time they do it, the Republicans respond by being the smaller child.

Every previous nomination was totally unacceptable to somebody.

Is the mere fact that someone found it unacceptable enough for you? Or are the actual reasons for this not subject to critical examination?

The Dems whined when it wasn't put up to a vote. Now want to act the same way but pretend it's the moral high ground. Plain BS

But this isn't really true...they're not 'acting the same way.' As I've pointed out a number of times there is a big difference between rejecting stuff because of who's doing it and rejecting it because you substantively disagree with it.

The sore loser whining here is hilarious. The american people chose Trump based on the rules of the election. Deal with it I didn't vote for Trump but I'm not whining that Hillary should be president or that the Democrats should be in charge.
If the want to reject someone, do it with a vote like men and not just block the vote like you complain about the Republicans. And I was on record for saying the Republicans should have voted and personally voted for a repub that called for them to vote. (and not any that didn't) The dems will get another chance in two and four years. I sure hope they learned something or they'll likely repeat the same mistakes.

For all of you that say it's not the same, you're just deluding yourselves. There will always be winners and losers. And it will be done by the rules of the election, not some other way that lets you think you actually won.

The sore loser whining here is hilarious. The american people chose Trump based on the rules of the election.

Is this referring to me?

Deal with it

We're getting ready to do just that. Also getting ready to be called whiners and sore losers by the likes of you. We survived a lot worse than this in the past.

I didn't vote for Trump but I'm not whining that Hillary should be president or that the Democrats should be in charge.

Hillary won the popular vote so in my view she has more democratic legitimacy than Trump.

Is this referring to me? We're getting ready to do just that. Also getting ready to be called whiners and sore losers by the likes of you. We survived a lot worse than this in the past. Hillary won the popular vote so in my view she has more democratic legitimacy than Trump.
Definitely a sore loser. Sorry. He's got you on that. Trump beat her 30 states to 20 and 2623 counties to 489. It was a landslide.;)
http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/index.html

On the topic of the thread, another article on Supreme Court diversity:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/06/politics/trump-diversity-supreme-court/index.html

J

Last edited:
Yes, it's just that people, not counties, confer democratic legitimacy.
It is not supposed to be a democracy. Never was. The system is a representative republic. It was designed so that the cities could not rule the country. Diversity matters.

J

It is not supposed to be a democracy. Never was. The system is a representative republic. It was designed so that the cities could not rule the country. Diversity matters.

J

It was designed so that slaveholding states could count their slaves as two-fifths of a voter when electing the President, actually. But anyway, thank you for conceding exactly what I said. The electoral college is not an instrument of democracy and in fact was intended to be anti-democratic.

By the way, a country can be a 'representative republic' and still be a democracy. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive, since "democracy" is an amorphous concept that implies little if anything about specific mechanisms of government.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom