Surrender Summit II: Putin Invited to Washington

Except the one in 1996 but yeah little point to interfering in elections where the winner is already predetermined.
Funnily enough, Boris Yeltsin was probably the most democratic leader we had because he actually stepped down by himself (or was pressured to step down, but at least it looked democratic). :lol: And as terrible and fail as he was, he actually tried to make friends with the rest of the world, and at least we had freedom of expression. There was a late night show "Куклы" ("Puppets"), which was a satire on political leaders, and one of the puppets was Yeltsin himself. The show existed from 1994 to 2002, so pretty much the entire time of Yeltsin but only the first 2 years of Putin (yes, there was a Putin puppet, too). There have not been democratic elections after Yeltsin left.

Last edited:
You can do whatever you want, but I do wonder why an ordinary Russian man is so interested and active in the threads discussing US politics.
He could be a government informant, but so can I. ;) Russian secret services are everywhere, as witnessed in Maria Butina, and even I can't be sure where the things I say might end up. I am just careful not to say anything in my personal life after a friend of a friend was put in jail after reposting a meme in VK and another friend of a friend was pressured to leave the country in 2015 because of his political activism.

I'd be very reluctant to post anti-Putin stuff on the internet if I lived over there

and I lament the camera phone age, cameras everywhere spying, lurking, watching us. I dont want to appear on a blog or website because someone doesn't believe in other people's privacy

I am just careful not to say anything in my personal life after a friend of a friend was put in jail after reposting a meme in VK
Can you give a link to the case where anyone got real jail time for reposting stuff in Russia?
All I can find are either fines or suspended sentence for inciting hatred - like posting racist stuff, Nazi or radical islamist propaganda.
Nice friends you have, by the way.

Top Bottom