1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Swedish UHVs

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by Cethegus, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

Immune to General Winter? It's functional, but not very interesting.

2. Cethegus

Cethegus Chieftain

True, while Medic I promotion to all units would be just too universal. :p Perhaps we're looking at it the wrong way. What area should their UP even cover? Internal policies, military, foreign politics, growth, science? Probably military, but I'll leave that up for debate for now and focus on the UHV instead in the meantime.

Right now, I'm on the process of making this UHV list for Sweden to work. I'm still unsure of what should be the third condition but here it is anyway:

Now, we have a selection of UHVs to pick from.

Both the 'Never lose a city' and 'Control the largest army' would make sense but it's not quite clear which was the cause and which was the result. Both were very important for Sweden of those days. We might throw in 'Vassalize Russia or occupy Moscow at X' but I don't know, I want to create a project that's fun to play.

I'll consider the Luxury condition for now, eyeing the world map to see how it would work in practice. Below is a screenshot of the area the first UHV would cover anyhow, and the second one would simply include all of the Americas and Africa.

For now the only hard part I see about the first UHV condition would be to occupy the Baltic regions before either Russia or Germany gets around to doing it (since actual Denmark is usually without a city).

Pay no mind to the additional resources on the map. :p My RFC is full of modifications.

If you have ideas or suggestions regarding improvement, feel free to voice them here.

3. Cethegus

Cethegus Chieftain

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THE FUTURE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS PROJECT.

I have put this project on-hold indefinitely due to experiencing a Civilization burnout. I'm going to stop going to this site as well.

Farewell CivFanatics. It was fun while it lasted.

4. Michael Vick

Michael Vick #1

whats a civilization burnout?

5. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

That is unfortunate.

I intend to do work on this project, using the files that Cethegus sent me.

6. Cethegus

Cethegus Chieftain

I'm back, sort of. If you've made progress on the project, Panopticon, could you share the results with me? I can continue making it happen again.

Anyway, I have some news. I did a test run on Sweden on 600 AD start (600 AD) and I think 1500 AD is far too soon for the first UHV requirement. My Python code stated that I needed to have merely 1 city in Norway, Denmark, Finland and the Baltic countries. I started the game off by settling Copenhagen, Stockholm and Luleå (wonderful production site) and working things up from there. I got Calendar in 1280, Gunpowder between the 14th and 15th centuries and after quickly churning out a few Karolins, I DOW'd on Russia and took St. Petersburg (which barely was on my code's "Finland" zone) and settled Reval (Tallinn) in 1490. Come 1500, I had completed the first UHV requirement.

I'm still in the middle of the test run. I have to see if the other parts of the code (like the one Panopticon provided me with) work and if there's some more things that need changing. The .dll files need to be altered somewhat so Sweden doesn't get hammered with unstability in the 15th century and forwards. Also, I realized some resources I put on the map were too much.

In short, I think the first UHV needs to be rethought. Denmark and Norway can be scrapped from the land requirement completely since Sweden never got a hold of those areas again after the fall of the Kalmar Union anyway. I propose that the largest army and regional hegemony requirements would both be postponed until 1750 AD and the land area would range from Finland and the Baltics to Ukraine (with having to control 3-4 cities). Horizontally this would range from the Baltic Horses to Kiev's Horses and vertically from Kiev's Pigs to 1 tile below Finland's Deer. (x=65,y=50, x=71,y=61)

Sound good? The test-run was on Monarch and I used an optimal tech route.

7. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

I've done absolutely no work on the project - I thought it would be a long-term thing and you had gone forever :( . Welcome back.

8. Cethegus

Cethegus Chieftain

Panopticon: Can I ask you to provide me a Python code to disable the innate Viking UP and replace it with a conscriptional UP? I'll see through how well it would work ASAP.

Update news on the project: No big change has happened. I added in most of the info I need to add Gustavus Adolphus in the game - all that's still missing is his diplo talk, some python code and more polished leaderhead graphics. Currently I'm using The Capo's Gustav:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11295

Sadly there's nowhere near as many Swedish leaderheads as there are different versions of Hitler. Wonder why. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think after the next 2-3 weeks my schedule will allow me to work on this project again.

9. Cethegus

Cethegus Chieftain

Whether observed at a historical or a gameplay standpoint, I think a conscriptional UP would be only fitting for them.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_allotment_system

10. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

The most practical implementation seems to be
    Power of the Draft/Power of the Allotment: Can always draft units as if Nationhood were an active civic.

11. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

It looks to me as if you'd need to modify the DLL. I don't know if you had this in mind. The easiest way would be to allow the Swedes to spawn with Nationhood as the active civic, like the Egyptians and HR/Slavery, and that could be done quite easily indeed, but it does require that DLL modification - so it's not a purely Python job.

12. sedna17

sedna17 Chieftain

If you just want to give Sweden Nationalism from the start, you can do that in the WorldBuilderSave (I think). In you open the WBS 3000 BC start for RFC, you'll see that the Egypt team is just given its civic possibilities there. We gave the Ottomans the "power of the draft" in RFCEurope via the DLL, so you could look at that code if you want to. 3Miro coded that section, so I'm not sure of the details.

13. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

If one just changes the WBS file, Sweden begins with Nationhood, but the civic is reverted to Tribalism at the beginning of the next turn. That is what happened to me when I tried it between my last two posts. The DLL mod is necessary in order to maintain Nationhood after end of turn.

14. Cethegus

Cethegus Chieftain

"Power of Discipline" is what I had in mind (even the Roman UP isn't called as plain as 'The Power of Engineering'). I don't know would Vassalage+Draft or Bureaucracy+Draft combo become too powerful but I don't want to call this a complete project without trying other alternatives. Even if Nationalism would be rendered 90% obsolete with omnipresent drafting, they should still be available to choose their own Legal civics. Vassalage/Bureaucracy was still in effect when the allotment system was around and I don't think Sweden's espionage was so powerful that the +25%:espionage: bonus would be justified. Of course, Nationhood enabled at start would be MUCH easier than restricting the UP to just drafting.

That is unfortunate. :confused: I tried the same before but didn't wait until next turn and noticed the civic itself was grayed out - unlike Representation+MR for Venice or HR+Slavery for Egypt. Once switched to another civic, it couldn't be changed back.

I see. I hoped I wouldn't have to learn "hardcore coding" but looks like I have no choice. I'll look into .dll-coding guides to see what it's like and try to get the gist of it. Unless I've misunderstood, national intresses and behaviour are also located in the .dll files? Those need to be fiddled around sooner or later before this project is complete.

Until an able-handed .dll-user is involved in the project, the changes we can make are only XML and Python-related. I'll try to focus on changing the spawn date and related issues next. I'm still unsure what purpose their UB would play with these recent findings.
    Is the Viking UP also located in the .dll files? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

15. Cethegus

Cethegus Chieftain

Update:
    The Swedish kings Gustav II Adolf and Charles XII have been added in the game as Swedish leaders and I confirm two UHV conditions to stay final: "Control Finland, the Baltic countries and Ukraine in 1750 AD." This would include owning at least 3 cities in the region while Germany and Russia own none.

The second UHV requirement is "Control the largest army in Europe." Although I would like it to include more nations than just two, it's best to be left to encompass only Russia and Germany, like it does now. Currently the objective can be achieved in three ways.
    - simply outproducing your rivals
    - forcing them to collapse
    - going to war and massacring their units

It's up for the player to decide what way he wants to achieve the UHV: espionage, raw production, UP or war. Originally I wanted to make the UHV encompass more than just two nations, but I'm afraid it would take away freedom from the player and -to be honest- be pretty purposeless. Russia and Germany already have Europe's biggest militaries and other nations are too far away, let the player focus on those two.

Some things can't be affected, Gustavus. :) This is all to make you more enjoyable to play.
    (That's as intimidating as he gets, too.)

16. Cethegus

Cethegus Chieftain

Gustav II Adolf Gallery:

Spoiler :

17. rob-art1985

rob-art1985 Chieftain

is already any download available? Couldnt find one

18. 3Miro

3Miro Chieftain

Gustav is already part of the game. You can download the latest version at RFC Europe Files tread (first post).

19. rob-art1985

rob-art1985 Chieftain

this is a modmod for standard rhye's and fall of civilization, not RFCE.

20. 3Miro

3Miro Chieftain

Sorry, I get confused sometimes. How is it coming then.