1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

System requirements are out!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by stealth_nsk, Sep 23, 2016.

1. ddd123

ddd123 Chieftain

keep in mind that site is broken, I have exactly nvidia 450 and it still says i cant run it, but ofc i can

also as a side note :

***very important*** the game is VERY WELL PROGRAMMED this time, civ 5 crashed a lot and was really the worse pathetic code ever saw in a video game, even more ridicolous in MP. Civ 5 release was really laggy and underperforming.

Civ 6 on the other hand is a piece of art and works VERY WELL even on my machine that is much much under the required CPU.
    It still runs very smoothly.

2. King Lear

King Lear Chieftain

Thanks for info re. the site.

Bottom line though is when I try to start it I get the following error.

G card.jpg

NVIDIA has just done an update of the driver. I had hopes... alas still not working.

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Chieftain

Won't work. Any card that is not directx 12 compatible will throw an immediate error.

I would say order a new card online, look for a good sale, maybe even try getting a refurbished one. I saw a 760 TI going for 50 dollars canadian on newegg a few weeks ago.

There will be plenty of sales popping up over the next month.

try pcpartpicker place to get a conglomerated and searchable list with current prices across a bunch of online venders.

Edit: That's the error message above, it says Directx 11 though, is there a way to start the game under DX11? I could have swore the Minimum used to say DX12 required...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    King Lear likes this.
  4. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Chieftain

I had the same error box on my older laptop running windows 10. I did the following:

1. Windows Key + R to bring up the run command
    2. type dxdiag and hit enter
    3. Let it look for digitally signed drivers -- for some reason, this "refreshed" my driver set.
    4. Look to see that you are running DX 11 or DX 12 (I was running 12)
    5. Close, reboot computer.
    6. Relaunch Steam and Civ VI....and it worked.

Good luck...

5. alsie27

alsie27 Chieftain

Because it looked like nobody knew of a demo and I was impatient (I've been bored of Civ V for a long time and had been looking forward to something new to play), I did a bit more research into the requirements and into what my computer has and decided it was safe to buy it. And phew, I was right, it started and seems to work just fine at least now, after a few turns. Yes it's a bit slow but seems alright. I think the graphics settings are on pretty low but I don't really care, they look good to me because I don't know any better.

So if anyone is wondering, it is playable. I'm pretty sure I've only got DirectX 11 too, I think that's the minimum and not 12 unlike someone above said. Although the game didn't ask me anything about this, in Civ 5 the game would always ask me before launching which DirectX version to use and depending on what I chose and what computer I was on it would either work or not work or work well or not all that well.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  6. Sciguy25

Sciguy25 Chieftain

I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro with NVIDIA 750M. Would this be sufficient to run the game on at least medium settings through bootcamp? 2.5 GHz i7 + 16 GB RAM as well. Thanks in advance.

7. Tridentviper

Tridentviper Chieftain

8. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

The game doesn't run, I need to know what the bottlenecks are.

Windows Vista Home Premium
    i7 CPU 920 2,67 GHz (8 cpu)
    6 GB RAM
    DirectX 11
    ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series (3 GB)

9. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Vista may be your problem. Published minimums specify 64 bit Windows 7 or better. I'm running Win 8.1 myself, so I can't vouch for that being your issue, but others have fingered Vista as an issue.

Also, the ATI Radeon HD 3600 series came out 8 or so years ago, so it's possible that card may not meet minimums either.

10. fishbackpack

fishbackpack Chieftain

Same laptop except 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7. Steam is VERY good about refunds (I bought it last night before I realized it was windows only, and I didn't really feel like running in boot camp, and I had my refund in the morning), so if you want to try it I would love to hear the results.

11. BigChiefLizzy

BigChiefLizzy Chieftain

If you are not running 64bit Vista then thats a showstopper - (and Vista is not supported even if 64bit), but since you have 6GB of RAM I guess you are, in that case since the CPU and memory are OK I'd guess the GFX card is too slow and/or that and DirectX 11 could be a problem, game is meant to require DX12 but I have seen posts of people getting it running in 11.2.
    Not too familiar with ATI cards, but when I googled that one the specification seems well below minimum; I may have been looking at the wrong card details though as there are a few variants. Are you getting an error message at all?

12. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

Yes, it's 64 bits. I don't get the missing compatible graphics device error message that others get, but when I try to run the game from the folder it's "The procedure entry point K32GetModuleInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll". This is something the programmers can prevent quite easily (they just have access to another library when it's Vista), and I'm hoping they will. I'm waiting for 2k.com to reply. But it's possible that I'll get new errors after.

13. Grandpa Troll

Grandpa Troll Ronin

My system I am on is a laptop, HP 4535

Processor: AMD E2-3000M APU with Radeon Graphics 1.8 GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 4 GB (3.47 usable)

System Type 64 Bit OS

Windows 7 Professional

No problems running thus far, a little loading time, not sure if its normal, nothing too excessive though.

Gramps

14. BigChiefLizzy

BigChiefLizzy Chieftain

I wouldn't hold your breath, it's easy to change a few parameters and then recompile on your own machine, but to change to a DLL library for an OS that is now nearly ten years old? (and then rebuild and create all patches needed?). Not going to happen.

15. orasis

orasis Chieftain

The 'minimum' requirements are set way too high compared to what you actually need to play the game on low/medium.

I tried the game on my old core2duo (2.2-4 ghz something like that), 3 gb of RAM with a GT730 and it worked fine. Turns by the end game took about 15-17 seconds.

In V the minimum requirements were set too low... I guess they did not want that debacle again.

16. orasis

orasis Chieftain

See if you have the update "KB2533623" installed or not. If not, install it.

17. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

I have always allowed Vista to update automatically. How can I see whether this specific update has been installed?

Edit: "KB2533623 is not applicable to your computer"

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  18. Convict

Convict Chieftain

I tried several sites "Can my computer run this....." and of course received different answers. I think I am right, even though I use a laptop, it is high end. If not I can badger my wife for a new computer- of course that has never worked in the past.

19. unclellama

unclellama Chieftain

hi! i have the macbook pro with 750M graphics and bought the game yesteray. runs smoothly in bootcamp if i disable antialiasing and set shadows to medium.

(finding the same for morrowind and skyrim: this card does ok with most 'basic' rendering, but is sooooo slow at antialiasing, HDR, stuff like that.)

also probably runs slow at full retina resolution, i didn't even try that - using an external monitor anyway.

20. orasis

orasis Chieftain

Bummer.

Well seeing as VISTA is ten years old... maybe it's time you upgrade to 7?