1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

System requirements are out!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Technical Support' started by stealth_nsk, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

Seeing that a lot of people can't play the game in Windows 7 either, I think not. But I will play it on my brand new laptop. :)

2. thedberg

thedberg Chieftain

See this post for a message from 2K Support that wide screen hi resolution screens may not be possible to set to a viewable resolution.

3. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

Well, I thought my laptop exceeded the minimum specs (i5 processor at 2.5GHz with 8GB of memory, Win7 Pro 64-bit, and Intel integrated graphics with DX11), but it won't even load. Says it can't find a compatible graphics card, and there's no option to run in strategic view mode. I'm kind of pissed about it. Not sure if I can return the game for a refund.

4. callan

callan Chieftain

Your laptop does not have a GPU with 1GB of memory, ergo it does not meet the min spec. In general the GPU capabilities on modern APUs (ie your i5) is not sufficient to run high end games because it if forced to share main RAM instead of having it's own dedicated memory. There are lots of other technical reasons too but this is the one that is causing your issue. I'm guessing you don't play a lot of games as you would likely have known this already otherwise. You have my sympathies man, never nice to be caught out like that :(

5. rrrwww

rrrwww Chieftain

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  6. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I brought my workstation home from work this weekend and installed Civ6 on it. I7-4810MQ processor (8 cores at 2.8GHz), 16GB of RAM, SSD, with a NVIDIA K1100M video card. The game runs on this system, barely, but is not really playable. Small map, just 2 cities, and not many units (playing at very low difficulty; all my units were fortified and the AI's didn't seem to be doing much). I had the video options turned all the way down. After about 100 turns, just clicking Next Turn was taking over 10 minutes.

Before it bogged down to be unplayable, I did play it enough to tell that the game sucks. I can't think of a single redeeming quality, and it makes me very sad that my daughter wasted $60 getting this POS for me for my birthday.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  7. Jonathan

Jonathan Chieftain

This is extremely odd, because I have exactly the same graphics card, very slightly inferior processor, only 8 GB main RAM, no SSD, and for me performance is very acceptable on a Standard map with 8 civs and plenty of cities. When I click NEXT TURN there's a wait of, um, surely much less than a minute, I haven't timed it because it's not a problem. I haven't touched the graphics options since I installed the game, either to turn them up or down. I'm running Windows 7 Professional. I don't know what OS you're using but I wouldn't expect that to make a big difference.

As for the quality of the game itself, the whole Civ series is extremely popular, but maybe it's just not your kind of game. Too bad. However, you could hardly be expected to have a good impression of a game that plays so very slowly on your system. The mystery is WHY it plays so slowly on your system.

8. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

Maybe something else was running in the background and tying up all the memory or something when I first tried the game on the high-end laptop. I've rebooted since then and the game plays okay on it (I'm limiting myself to small maps for now) It also runs okay on a Dell i5 low-profile desktop computer with a Sapphire HD5450 video card. (both systems are Win 7)

I'm still not sure if I like the game, but that's a different issue than hardware requirements. BTW, I love Civ 5.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  9. Jonathan

Jonathan Chieftain

Glad to hear that. Incidentally, I did a little research and discovered that the K1100M isn't designed to support games, so I was worried about it before installing this game, but in practice it seems to work OK. We'd surely be better off with one of the GeForce cards, though.

We clearly have slightly different tastes in Civ. I played Civ 5 for a relatively short time but then gave up on it, I just didn't like it, which was the first time any version of Civ had that effect on me. But so far I like Civ 6 well enough, except that the AI is distinctly unchallenging, and I have my doubts about the religious aspect of the game. But it seems that I can just ignore religion, it doesn't really matter. If I really take against it, I could also turn off religious victory...

10. JediChamp

JediChamp Chieftain

could my laptop run it

these are my specs: WIN 10
    video card: GeForce GT 820M
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U
    CPU @ 2.00GHz
    RAM: 8 GB

11. stevepete1

stevepete1 Chieftain

I will buy a PC soon, expecting to play Civ6 on it a lot. I have had problems with Civ5 and Civ4 on various systems in the past, so please tell me what you experts would consider an excellent gaming system for Civ6. Not just the minimum requirements, but a PC system that responds quickly with super excellent graphics displaying on my huge TV via HDMI cable, with zero fan noise, played deep into big games hundreds of turns with many units and many AI opponents, that never crashes. i.e. what do you consider a top of the line game playing system for Civ6? Alternatively or additionally, what is the best system you have played Civ6 on? Thank you very much in advance.

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Chieftain

No fan noise?
    I can't even sleep without the hum of my computer making me feel like I'm on the U.S.S. Enterprise.

If you're really serious about no noise though, this may be of interest. Not sure if it's actually for sale yet though.

13. stevepete1

stevepete1 Chieftain

Thank you Abrades. That is interesting but Calyos seems impractical. Yes, I'm very serious about fan noise, so your implication that fan noise is ubiquitous even among top gaming systems leaves me pause. Thanks for that insight that gaming and fan noise are inseparable. Does everyone else experience fan noise while gaming?

14. stevepete1

stevepete1 Chieftain

Crom! Autocorrected Abraxis to Abrades. My apologies for not editing before posting.

15. Damus Maximus

Damus Maximus Chieftain

Hi all,
    I'm having issues running Civ 6, getting lots of "not responding" messages, particularly, but not exclusively during multiplayer games. it can take over 4 minutes just to load the initial map, and I've set all game options.
    for best performance.
    i'm not good with computer tech, but these are my systems info and the results of the benchmark tests. based on these, can anyone offer a suggestion as to what may be causing this issue? I noticed in my systems spec, under Microsoft direct x, a difference in runtime and hardware supported versions, could this be a contributing factor?
    any help would be greatly appreciated. system graphics info.png

GRAPHICS BENCHMARK DETAILS.png

PROCESSOR BENCHMARK.png

16. Wizard-Bob

Wizard-Bob Chieftain

Damus, you seem to be using Intel's Integrated Graphics, but the minimum system requirements for Civ VI include a 1GB Dedicated Graphics card (recommended is 2GB Graphics Card). Are you running this on a notebook?

17. WhoGnu

WhoGnu Chieftain

I want superfast. Currently i7-4770k 3.5 CPU with 16 gig ram no graphics card. System is about 3.5 years old now. Runs fine but about 24 second turns.

Should I just buy a nice card for the current system? Or new system? Any recommendations on cards or systems? Money not really a problem but I don't game a lot other than Civ 6,

18. rschissler

rschissler Chieftain

I assume you are talking about a desktop computer? If so, and you have the expertise, buy a graphics/video card that is better than the recommended (look at the specs on the first page) and you should be good.

19. WhoGnu

WhoGnu Chieftain

Thanks. Yes a desktop. I build my own so installation is np. I want one to last. Looking at Gigabyte 1080's since I have Gigabyte MB.

Thanks again,
    WhoGnu

20. trev1972

trev1972 Chieftain

Just curious, i have a mid range to budget pc

i5-6400
    gtx-1060 (but only 3gb memory version)
    ssd
    16 gb ram

what map sizes will i get away with? id like to play the yet another maps pack but dont want to sit around all day waiting for it to load etc.

Thanks