Talabani sworn in as Iraq's new president

FriendlyFire

Codex WMDicanious
Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani was sworn in as interim President of Iraq yesterday, capping a career spent opposing ousted dictator Saddam Hussein.

He and his two vice-presidents were immediately expected to name Shi'ite Arab Ibrahim al-Jaafari as interim prime minister.

The long-awaited events will give Iraq its first freely elected government in 50 years, and its second set of interim leaders since the US-led invasion.

Once the cabinet is finalised - likely sometime next week - the new Government will begin working on drafting a permanent constitution.

This is what happens when you have a President, Prime minister and two Vice presidents. Maybe the U.S should do some more arm twisting to get the Iraq government together.

Keep in mind that the Iraqis haven't much practice with the whole parliamentary democracy/representative government thing.

Give them time, and eventually their decisions will be rendered in a time frame that is more friendly to the 24 hour news cycle.

I thought the Kurds were only a minority in the country, how is it possible that a Kurd got elected by the majority? I don't believe it the election was a fair one. US must have been behind this man, and twisted the results.

Dida said:
I thought the Kurds were only a minority in the country, how is it possible that a Kurd got elected by the majority? I don't believe it the election was a fair one. US must have been behind this man, and twisted the results.
The Prime Minister is the one who really has power (a Shi'ite). The President's position is primarily ceremonial, but he has more power than Allawi's president did. Besides, the Kurds make up like 20% of the population (5 million out of 25 million, I believe), so they do wield some political power.

Riesstiu IV said:
Have you been watching the Daily Show, newfangle? :)
Yes, I was surprised that I didn't notice the irony before the Daily Show pointed it out. ;)

I don't ever watch the daily show. Its pinko tripe!
(actually its because I rarely ever see it on local stations).

I heard that Saddam is going to be watching the inaguration on TV while sitting in his cell :lol:.

Who is this guy? Whats his agenda?

Dida said:
I certainly don't see conspiracy here. The way he was chosen was through negotiation and compromise. They ended up with a Suni as speaker of the parliamentary assembly, a Kurdish president, and a Shi'a PM. As long as the Shi'a majority in parliament doesn't use their power to put the Kurds and Sunis under their heel, there's a chance the government may work.

If the Shi'a had simply bulldozed their way to take over all the positions of authority, it would have been a short road to civil war. So far that hasn't happened.

Gelion said:
Who is this guy? Whats his agenda?
Talabani Offers Amnesty To Insurgents

BAGHDAD, April 7 -- Iraq's new Kurdish president, Jalal Talabani, took office Thursday and immediately offered an amnesty aimed at drawing in Sunni Muslims from an armed insurgency increasingly seen as faltering. He left open the possibility of forgiving insurgents who had killed combatants.

Dida said:

It's called compromise.

newfangle said:
Is anyone else worried that this guy's name is Talabani? (so what if its not spelled the same.)

It's so Bush can go, "SEE! I TOLD YOU SO!" when people continue to get on his case about saying Al-Qaeda, the Taleban and Iraq were all in bed together.

I see an advantage in having this number of 'high' positions. It increases the chances of people of different religions and ethnic groups being in control. It may relax the people more.

A Kurdish president and Shi'ite prime minister is great news.

Dida said:

While other have already given the answer, this is a perfect example of ignorance in action. Typical of the anti-US crowd in Europe and the anti-France crowd in the US. Study issues, don't spout ignorance.

Top Bottom