Teaching a Friend

Gentlemen, and I use the term quite loosely, a young person has asked you a legitimate question. I have no experience in teaching the game, so cannot contribute. If you don't want to help him, I suggest that you take your allusions to another thread where the OP is of an age appropriate to your questionable humor.

Basic strategy for making somebody new enjoy the game. Play to them, entertain them, not you. I enjoy playing with my wife every now and then. I set the difficulty back to a level she finds enjoyable, I do not crush the noble AI with rushes or micromanage my turn 5x longer than her enter-button-mashing fingers. I set up the team teching so she discovers Christianity. I let her build the Apostolic Palace. When she invades Gandhi with 60 swords/catas/elephants in the late renaissance I call her my "warrior princess" and quietly suicide cannons into her target before she attacks.

All in all, I we enjoy ourselves capitally. She gets better the more she plays, but it is best not to try and force the rate.

It's probably far better to introduce her orally and not introduce her to the forum. Don't be permanant allies, the mechanism sucks, and make sure she's always successful, don't rush her while still teaching her, and pamper her in general. Ideas...you could screw your research a few turns and gift her a few thousand gold to rushbuy some stuff or something.

It's probably far better to introduce her orally and not introduce her to the forum. Don't be permanant allies, the mechanism sucks, and make sure she's always successful, don't rush her while still teaching her, and pamper her in general. Ideas...you could screw your research a few turns and gift her a few thousand gold to rushbuy some stuff or something.

I think something like this is better. Even Sisiutil might be overwhelming at first. JuJuLautre has a shorter guide to Noble that might introduce her easier. But really the first few times you have to take it easy and not make it a research commitment for her. Just provide a little guidance yourself.

For me, first game would be Settler - no Barbs, no War, no Events/huts and OCC. Just guide her a little on which 5 nat'l wonders to build, worker first and improvement order. 2 hour game and then she can see how far she wants to go into making it more involved. No war Settler OCC even a new player can win. And game moves faster.

I say you play singleplayer and let her watch.
Just play on Settler. And tell her that you're usually
on Deity*.

And explain that Deity* is the hardest difficulty that you've played.
Do that.

*Deity is replaced with the difficulty you're usually on.

Ask your friend to explain to you what s/he is doing. That is a very effective training method if you can keep your mouth shut and a straight face. If s/he isn't able to explain or seem serious perhaps s/he is just trying to please you and doesn't care about the game.
If that is the case, I suggest "hands on".
But that's just me.

Civ4 can be played in very different ways, so I'd say it's important to be perceptive of what she likes and what she doesn't. Some players like to be in control of an army and using it (and thus might enjoy being taught things like a Quechua rush early). Others, including The Woman Of My Dreams (tm), play the game mainly for the atmosphere and don't want to be bothered by wars (so they'd be more interested in finding out which cool buildings you can build and how their effects tie together). Some players want a challenge, others just want a bit of fun in a quasi-historic setting.

My personal recommendation would be to not overdo the teaching. Let her experience the game for a while and see what fascinates her most - the military units? The diplomacy? Building the biggest cities? Having a happy population? Then focus on that aspect of the game, while slowly introducing the others over time.

One of the most important things that new players (and Civ teachers ;) ) should realize, imho, is that the game is perfectly enjoyable without understanding everything about it. There are appropriate difficulty levels for each playstyle. So new players shouldn't despair when faced with the game's complexity - they can ask when something seems important, but can safely leave things for later just as well. And teachers probably need to strike a balance - helping where it's needed and/or appreciated, but not disrupting the "student's" enjoyment by bombarding him/her with too much information at once.

Civ4 can be played in very different ways, so I'd say it's important to be perceptive of what she likes and what she doesn't. Some players like to be in control of an army and using it (and thus might enjoy being taught things like a Quechua rush early). Others, including The Woman Of My Dreams (tm), play the game mainly for the atmosphere and don't want to be bothered by wars (so they'd be more interested in finding out which cool buildings you can build and how their effects tie together). Some players want a challenge, others just want a bit of fun in a quasi-historic setting.

My personal recommendation would be to not overdo the teaching. Let her experience the game for a while and see what fascinates her most - the military units? The diplomacy? Building the biggest cities? Having a happy population? Then focus on that aspect of the game, while slowly introducing the others over time.

One of the most important things that new players (and Civ teachers ;) ) should realize, imho, is that the game is perfectly enjoyable without understanding everything about it. There are appropriate difficulty levels for each playstyle. So new players shouldn't despair when faced with the game's complexity - they can ask when something seems important, but can safely leave things for later just as well. And teachers probably need to strike a balance - helping where it's needed and/or appreciated, but not disrupting the "student's" enjoyment by bombarding him/her with too much information at once.

Dothis, not what I said.:crazyeye:

Even Sisiutil might be overwhelming at first.
That's what she said. Ba-dum-bump (bash). :groucho:

Seriously, though, even I'm aware of this. That "Beginners' Guide" grew over time to >40 pages! :eek: As a result, my advice to people diving into it is to pick one element of the guide/game (such as, for example, religion, or espionage) and play a game--not even necessarily a whole one--where you focus primarily on that element. Rinse and repeat.
One of the most important things that new players (and Civ teachers ;) ) should realize, imho, is that the game is perfectly enjoyable without understanding everything about it.
Very true--I still remember one of my first games, playing as Rome, settling my second city within two tiles of iron... and wonder WHY the heck it took so long for the city's borders to claim said iron. :confused: Eventually it did, but I had no idea how or why. Nevertheless, this was on Settler or Warlord and the game was very forgiving--I even had Montezuma next door! I still enjoy the game, but sometimes I miss those days when a certain amount of ignorance was, indeed, bliss.

Sisiutil:
If anybody knows the answer it's you.
I recently settled/built a city right on top of uranium and got nothing. I've done the same with iron & copper and could build swords & axe but why doesn't it work for uranium? I had to build another city elsewhere and a mine. What's the deal? There I was thinking I was so smart.
Glowing in the dark but getting nothing.
MeatUnit2

Sisiutil:
If anybody knows the answer it's you.
I recently settled/built a city right on top of uranium and got nothing. I've done the same with iron & copper and could build swords & axe but why doesn't it work for uranium? I had to build another city elsewhere and a mine. What's the deal? There I was thinking I was so smart.
Glowing in the dark but getting nothing.
MeatUnit2
"Glowing in the dark..." :lol:

Physics just reveals uranium and allows you to mine it. You can't use it for anything until Fission.

In New Zealand we have an advert for a brand of cheese with the slogan "Good things take time".

Seems like you are over thinking this. You are the only one here who knows her -- teach her in a way that will appeal to her and get her interested. I'd just sit beside her and play a game. You in control for a while, then switch off and let her take over. You can point things out to her while she plays. I know I've had a lot of fun in the past with friends playing computer games this way; discussing strategy, pointing things out, etc while one person is on the controls.

FORGET ALL THAT.

Girls do not belong in Civ games. Just tell her, "Sorry, babe, you won't get it. It's a guy thing."

Most of you will say, "Girls play Civ all the time! Lemon and KMad and Maki could kick your butt." Yes, they can. Good for you. Good for them. One cannot forbid a girl from something and then not find them doing it, even excelling at it. No one buys Boy Scout cookies.

And that's really the point.

Tell her she's not allowed to play. She's not allowed to borrow your CDs, or install on her computer, or go to civfanatics.com and ask people for help, or read strategy guides, or anything. (Be specific.) Either she leaves and you're better off without her, or she takes it as a challenge and wipes the floor with you. Win-win. :)

FORGET ALL THAT.

Girls do not belong in Civ games. Just tell her, "Sorry, babe, you won't get it. It's a guy thing."

Most of you will say, "Girls play Civ all the time! Lemon and KMad and Maki could kick your butt." Yes, they can. Good for you. Good for them. One cannot forbid a girl from something and then not find them doing it, even excelling at it. No one buys Boy Scout cookies.

Tell her she's not allowed to play. She's not allowed to borrow your CDs, or install on her computer, or go to civfanatics.com and ask people for help, or read strategy guides, or anything. (Be specific.) Either she leaves and you're better off without her, or she takes it as a challenge and wipes the floor with you. Win-win. :)
Sorry to swear but: you son of a b****!

FORGET ALL THAT.

Ah, the reverse psychology approach. A risky gamble, but it could work.

@TheDS: this is two 12 year olds who are friends and one happens to be a girl, not girlfriend the way you mean it.

@Creatureboy11: TheDS is pulling your leg, making a rather poor joke.

Top Bottom