Tech Tree Project Item #3 Poll on Conduct Tech Name

What do we settle on as a name for the current Conduct Tech?

• Conduct

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Codes of Conduct

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Moral Behavior

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Morality

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Morals

• Socialization

• Taboos

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Customs

• Social Norms

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Social Structure

• Conduct and Customs

• Total voters
18 votes in and we have a tie - might have to zero in on only the top 3 and re-poll...
Or use the Condorset method?
Conduct and Code of Conduct are very similar, voting on the top three would divide votes between these two. Looking at the current score, I predict a win for Social Norms with top 3 voting and a win for Conduct with top 2 voting.

What if we did the top 3 but let everyone get 2 votes?

Personally I really don't like conduct but codes of conduct sounds 10x better to me and Social Norms better than either of the others. I liked Taboos better than any of the above because it sounds more prehistoric themed and perhaps even fits best overall in concept. But given that it's down to these... that said I do understand the 'splitting of the vote' issue as well.

Two votes would just stack it in Social norms favor...

I really hate Social norms as it sounds too modern and at least to me is somewhat offensive.. I mean I get really tired when it comes to being told what is normal and what is not all my life and being accused of wrong think because somebody doesn't like a decision, life choice I made or even how I dress and doesn't consider it..Normal. Social Norms as a name just seems to Embody this way of thinking.

Two votes would just stack it in Social norms favor...

I really hate Social norms as it sounds too modern and at least to me is somewhat offensive.. I mean I get really tired when it comes to being told what is normal and what is not all my life and being accused of wrong think because somebody doesn't like a decision, life choice I made or even how I dress and doesn't consider it..Normal. Social Norms as a name just seems to Embody this way of thinking.
I can understand that, which is why I'd want to include Codes of Conduct because of the 3, I'd prefer that over Social Norms and Social Norms over Conduct. So it would give me a way to vote in respect of your opinion while at the same time objecting to Conduct, which both sounds like a guy standing in front of a band uselessly swinging around a stick to let them know what to do as if the music on their sheets doesn't already, or a wire catching a lightning bolt and sending that energy to a battery or a clock or something, very little to me to do with behavior except to envision the proper arrangement of cows going in for the slaughter, as in - to Conduct a Crowd towards the exit, or Conduct a Project to completion. Just standing on its own, Conduct means too many things.

I can understand that, which is why I'd want to include Codes of Conduct because of the 3, I'd prefer that over Social Norms and Social Norms over Conduct. So it would give me a way to vote in respect of your opinion while at the same time objecting to Conduct, which both sounds like a guy standing in front of a band uselessly swinging around a stick to let them know what to do as if the music on their sheets doesn't already, or a wire catching a lightning bolt and sending that energy to a battery or a clock or something, very little to me to do with behavior except to envision the proper arrangement of cows going in for the slaughter, as in - to Conduct a Crowd towards the exit, or Conduct a Project to completion. Just standing on its own, Conduct means too many things.

Yeah I know where your coming from no worries :p

Also yes your description of conduct made me laugh and can see your point, I really don't care what we name Conduct or shall I say rename it as long as it isn't social norms. I don't want to sound whiny or spoiled about it but it really does bother me for reasons I stated above.

Heh, I'm like the exact opposite. I think Conduct is a fine name. I like Social Norms too, although I understand the objections. But I really don't like Codes of Conduct. This is still fairly early in prehistory. No one has codified anything yet.

Heh, I'm like the exact opposite. I think Conduct is a fine name. I like Social Norms too, although I understand the objections. But I really don't like Codes of Conduct. This is still fairly early in prehistory. No one has codified anything yet.
Codification doesn't mean written necessarily. It CAN just mean a way to distinguish conduct from other uses of the term like the proper conduct of water to an irrigation canal. A person that follows a code of conduct in his life rarely lists out what those points actually are - it just means he follows guidelines in his head.

Not that I don't get it - 'Codes of' suggests that it's more than a verbal list of stated and subconsciously emerging 'rules to follow' and the sense that to go outside those rules is to be objected to by the rest of the group that naturally emerges in social order.

I mean, Sakura's point as to why she doesn't like Social Norms is also kind of affirming that it's a good name for the tech - she (and I feel similar) may not like that groups DO this, but it doesn't mean that we don't and that there wasn't or isn't good reason that some behaviors begin to be identified as deviant by the dominant thinking forces in a group.

If people don't get an idea of what deviant behavior is, they don't eventually start to identify crimes for what they are. Basic Sociology 101.

People then become deviant because they don't find their needs being met (often as simple as emotional or social ones, not JUST physical needs) by following the normal ways that the group they are a part of has come to respect as the 'proper' way to go about meeting those needs.

Sometimes deviancy, as much as it may stand out and not even necessarily be 'wrong', is an advantage for a person, which is why there will always be those trying to push for some deviancy or another to be normalized. Sometimes that bravery is well rewarded as the group learns through those standouts to respect these ideas more (such as the inventive independence of the character in 'A Bug's Life'.)

Nevertheless that social normalcy is deeply embedded into people to adhere to and to fear not adhering to because survival itself often depended on it, particularly in earlier days in our social order development - our cohesion as a group was highly critical to our survival.

Man... this would've been easier if I'd really tried to sell us on Taboos earlier. Lol. Such a good alternative to all these complaints about these top 3 contenders. Seeing that in the list was immediately convincing to me that it was the best option.

Last edited:
Man... this would've been easier if I'd really tried to sell us on Taboos earlier.

I would name exile practices as taboo if anything, since exile was the outcome of taboo infractions. I understand the feeling that social norms feels like it came out of an 1880s department of human studies - that's because it did - but conduct is an empty, neutral term meaning behaviour, on its own seems insufficient to me, and codes of has the issue of referring codification which more accurately came with the codes of law in the ancient era.

If I tried hard to find a pre-modern term for social norms I'd go with something like community behaviour.
Just an addendum @Sakura Matou, normalcy and deviance do not imply of course what is legal or illegal, just the social aspect of it. However, precisely because this tech takes place before laws, it is why I feel it's the accurate definition for it. Before laws, anything out of line was cause for concern. We shouldn't really think about it as we do today, where nonconformism is an added value, especially for artists and whatnot but also in everyday social life, we're talking about hunter-gatherer tribes where every day was a struggle for survival, nonconformism was a danger to everyone's life then. Even just being lazy compared to the other tribespeople could, no, would result in punishment.

Just to muddy the water:
Subordination
Obedience
Submission
Norms
Accord
Concord
Red Lines
Vigilance
Conformity
Compliance
Deference
I like Conduct, though while making this list I felt Norms, Accord, Vigilance, Deference and Red Lines could work too... lol, Taboos ain't that bad either.

Kinda liking Obedience... Conformity yeah.

Of course, right now social norms is winning by a vote. Fairness in democracy would demand that we act on that wouldn't it?

However, with late entries, maybe we do another vote with those and all those that got more than 1 vote from this list?

Kinda liking Obedience... Conformity yeah.

Of course, right now social norms is winning by a vote. Fairness in democracy would demand that we act on that wouldn't it?

However, with late entries, maybe we do another vote with those and all those that got more than 1 vote from this list?

I mean to be fair the Poll stayed open waaaaaaaay later until Social Norms got that last vote after the tie breaking discussion came up XD

Top Bottom