Terra Nova Map

Lutefisko

Chieftain
Terra Nova Map - By Paul Bakken

This is a Civ III experience set on an alternative Earth.

The standard size map uses 16 civs. The 8 "Major" civs start on the same central landmass, later expanding to acquire territory and key resources. The map is deliberately designed
so that to central landmass lacks enough key resources for all 8 Major civs. Accordingly, players will need to explore, trade, or conquer their way to access to these resources.

The 8 "Minor" civs are essentially glorified barbarians. These are regular civs given lousy starting positions -- mostly small, mountainous islands. This causes them to develop late in the game, but still offer some interference to expansionist players and
the AI. When I play tested this map some of the Minors actually built Wonders!

The map itself contains a few noteworthy features. I used more islands than one usually sees in computer generated maps. I believe this creates a more realistic feel. Also, I deliberately added a somwhat unrealistic feature -- a continent altered by a large meteor strike. This mostly gave me an excuse to make that area rich in a particular resource.

Finally, I designed this map to coax the AI into a behavior that should appeal to retentive-type perfectionists like me. After you play the map for a while you will see what I'm talking about.

This map was finished on 6 december 2001 and created by Paul Bakken. Please feel free to modify it however you wish. I only ask that you mention me as the creator of the
original in your description.

I look forward to any feedback and suggestions for improving this map!

Happy Civing!

Paul Bakken
threebakkens@msn.com

Attachments

• terra nova.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,349
Okay -

A little bit more about the map:

The best starting location is the one where you start right in the very center of the map. It is rich in important resources, and will provide an interesting game. Also, founding a city on the starting location will serve as an important canal linking the two major oceans. The player that starts at this location is somewhat favored to be the game's dominant power.

But not necessarily. Expansionist AI opponents do very well in both the north and southern continents. The mix of civs provides pretty good competition, especially at higher difficulty levels.

Another "canal" is possible to the north, but you need to take over two AI civs' capitals to connect both oceans to a common lake.

And finally - further playtesting has shown that the "gridding" effect I was shooting for isn't perfect. The AI still founds cities sort of randomly in the northernmost part of the map, and on the "new world" continents. A future version of the map may correct this. I am still deciphering the finer details about how the AI decides to pick city locations!

As always, I would very much appreciate any feedback. If you download this map and enjoy it - even just a teeny bit, please post a reply and let me know about your experience with it.

Thanks!

PS - I would be very interested in a "gridded" Earth map. I had one finished on a standard sized map, but then my hard drive chose to crash and I couldn't salvage the data. I just couldn't rouse the enthusiasm to start over again, so maybe someone else could take a stab at it.

HELP! I can`t download the File! Seems my WinZip 8.0 doesn`t recognize it. Happenes quite often here but not always. What am I doing wrong?????

Hmmn. I'm not sure why your version of Winzip isn't recognizing some of the file on this website. I'd suggest posting this concern in one of the general threads on this site and see if someone more knowledgable than me has an anwser.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. It must be very frustrating to see all these cool things and not be able to get at them!

Hope you get it figured out.

Can you please post a screenshot for your map? I would relly like to get a glance before i play.

Thanks!

I'd love to include screen shots with my maps, but I'm a total noob. How do you make screen shots?

Anyone?

Who are the 8 major and 8 minor civs? I'd like to play without having to restart to get a good location.

Okay - once you have the screen shot in .bmp format, how do you include in a post? I'm not really familiar with all of this vB Code stuff.

Anyone?

I made the locations for civs random for this map in order to enhance replay value and further modding flexibility. If you want the best starting location, the spot at the very middle of the map (starts on a hill with gold) is the best. Any of the spots on the main central continent are viable, though.

Playing around with the civ editor to limit starting locations might help, but then the other civs might start in wierd spots.

If you want to ensure a decent starting spot, you could make the map into an eight player game. Edit the map in CivEdit by just removing the minor civ locations on all those crappy little islands.

Okay - once you have the screen shot in .bmp format, how do you include in a post? I'm not really familiar with all of this vB Code stuff.

Not a problem. When posting a message or reply simply attach the file down at the bottom where it says "attach file" if it is a picture it will show up in your message like those you have seen in other threads.

I think it helps everyone if map makers post some screens of their maps.

Kal-el

Thanks to all who told me how to post a map. Here it is:

Attachments

• ternov.bmp
    253.3 KB · Views: 799
You must change the bmp to a gif or jpg to show up in this forum without having to download it!
but it really don't take but a second or two to download so its not much of a problem :goodjob:

Thanks for the map. It's perfect for the "no capital = no corruption" strategy. Someone else found out that if you capture your first city when you have no cities of your own, then you will have no capital and so no distance corruption. With the Terra Nova map. that can happen quite quickly. Just build barracks, 4 archers and a spearman, then conquer your first city. That's enough for the likely 2-spearman defence. Just before the conquest, pop-rush a settler to get rid of your starting city. A saved game is attached where I have just gotten rid of my capital.

Attachments

• blackchinese2750bc.zip
    63.6 KB · Views: 152
Your map was an interesting experience, although it grew a bit too boring during modern times, with every part of the world explored, and long waits every round. That´s the game´s fault of course, so I´m not blaming you. I think you´ve been a bit too generous with some resources, but otherwise I liked the map.

Top Bottom