Terrain Switching Oddity

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
I thought I would check my placements for this very nice start and was surprised at the following but I was more surprised with the behavioir

If I click on B to lock it, A will move to C
If I then unlock B, C will move to A
I can lock C which moves A to C but if I unlock it, it moves back unless B is locked.
EDIT: Focusing science or gold does not change this bahaviour... weird
I reloaded Civ, no luck... posted the sav so you can try.
Anyone work out a logic for this? Maybe it decides 3 science this early is excessive?
I have seen plent of bad choices, especially if there is a luxury iinvolved but not this.

upload_2017-4-16_18-14-19.png

Attachments

• Terrain Switch oddity.Civ6Save
    983.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I guess it is all about the food. If you lock B 1f then the citymanger prefers C 3f to A 2f.
Maybe your city's housing is just 3 so too much food is avoided, which would be odd, because the city would lose gold and science. C is much better than A.

Do you mean the benefits of Petra or Chitzen Itza?
I think the citymanager is primarily deciding upon food and then production unless you pick your focus. Focus on science/gold and check if B and C are worked.

I meant the natural wonder you may have noticed in the picture

Sure focusing on gold/science will change it, I was interested in the default setting
EDIT:... actually focussing science or gold does not change the way it acts!

But if it's deciding on food first, why does it like the 2 food tile over the 3 and why does locking an always worked tile change things?

Yeah, it does some odd things sometimes on default.

Your C should always be worked since it's always better than your A. B should likely be worked more than A, unless you had food focus.

So with 2 pop and plenty of housing space, default should probably sit on C and B since you are building a district. Or A and C since that allows better growth. Though the default may believe that 1 food is worth less than the extra gold and production. There's no real reason to ignore C, unless you are also negative on amenities elsewhere?

Nope, the save is there but no negative amenities.
Everyone is getting hung up on the numbers which are weird....
And choosing to concentrate on science or gold makes no difference to behaviour
But what is weirder is all I do is lock B to make them change, unlock and they change back, thats rather odd

It does look like the wonder is being ignored, in one of my previous games the wonder was not being ignored but that was pre-patch. Since the new patch I've been away on business trips too much to get any decent hours in.

I loaded your save and played a little further.
20170416233615_1.jpg 20170416233633_1.jpg 20170416233648_1.jpg 20170416233727_1.jpg 20170416233928_1.jpg 20170416233932_1.jpg 20170416234400_1.jpg 20170416234404_1.jpg 20170416234414_1.jpg 20170416234417_1.jpg
Weird things: focusing on food and production is better than no default: 4 growth 3 production to 3 growth and 3 production
And depending on which tiles you lock, the jungle tile is prefered to the hills tile with an additional science beaker.
@MadDjinn: do you know whether that is something to be fixed by firaxis and report it directly?

Last edited:
Come to think of it I seem to recall a locking problem I had a while ago playing Brasil, there was a wonder involved and I remember spending ages locking and unlocking and being puzzled about what was going on. I still have the save but it was pre-patch.

I have noticed that odd switching behavior also. Under some conditions, the computer does not seem to make an optimal choice for the non managed worker.

I micromanage workers though, so haven't bothered to try and figure out what the issue is.

I reloaded the save. Yes focus on science and/or gold doesn't change anything: so wonder-yields don't count.
It is so weird, as tile B is even better without the wonder yields.
In another try I found this strange behavior:
Spoiler :
20170417021519_1.jpg
20170417021523_1.jpg
20170417021528_1.jpg
20170417021532_1.jpg

Notice: locking the gypsum doesn't change a thing.
locking the iron -> jungle
locking the gypsum too -> hill

Obviously locking tiles alone doesn't necessarily change the citymanagers considerations -> better have someone check the code: could be that locked tiles and/or their yields drop out of the considerations.

Moderator Action: Large images wrapped inside spoiler tags. -- Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
I loaded your save and played a little further.
View attachment 469499 View attachment 469500 View attachment 469501 View attachment 469502 View attachment 469503 View attachment 469504 View attachment 469505 View attachment 469506 View attachment 469507 View attachment 469508
Weird things: focusing on food and production is better than no default: 4 growth 3 production to 3 growth and 3 production
And depending on which tiles you lock, the jungle tile is prefered to the hills tile with an additional science beaker.
@MadDjinn: do you know whether that is something to be fixed by firaxis and report it directly?

Well, a bug report here with the save attached would be appropriate I think. The behaviour is a little off so it would be beneficial to have them look at the code for any discrepancies.

Okey dokey, cheers chaps
I just created a thread in the bug-forum with a link to this thread. Hopefully the bug will get fixed. Hadn't any problems in my savegames with citymanager and one-tile-wonders with yields.

So to a human player, C is in every way superior to A. Even if it ignores the Wonder yield, it's still a 3f2p vs 2f2p. My personal theory about these cases however (though unproven) is that there is a (currently hidden) strategic resource on tile A, and with that resource's yields, the tile would be better. Maybe you can continue the game and find out if that's the case?

Top Bottom