TES : The Stormcloak Rebellion V2

I don't really understand there :
Do you mean a menu choice when pressing "2" giving a gear picture and displaying the unit strength (close and shooting for polyvalent fighters), which can be done
or a unit picture for each gear, which can't (each armed unit can have any gear between the 16 ones, same thing with magic users which can have their gear enchanted too and have the choice between 7 school of magic for 4 levels of mastery) unless we could have few hundred unit slots :D ?

Maybe you could play with onGetFormattedDate? If there is an active unit, instead of showing the date, you show extra information about the unit?

Maybe you could play with onGetFormattedDate? If there is an active unit, instead of showing the date, you show extra information about the unit?
The question is when is "onGetFormattedDate" launched, and can we call it ourselves to evolve it ?
Doesn't it risk to give wrong informations in compare with the current "press "2" system ?

Furthermore, it is currently used to figure the passing of days, thus for one to see how many says he spent and has left before the scenario ends (the only reminder I gave in game is ten small days before the end of the scenario).
This shall be visible too...

The question is when is "onGetFormattedDate" launched, and can we call it ourselves to evolve it ?
Doesn't it risk to give wrong informations in compare with the current "press "2" system ?

Furthermore, it is currently used to figure the passing of days, thus for one to see how many says he spent and has left before the scenario ends (the only reminder I gave in game is ten small days before the end of the scenario).
This shall be visible too...

onGetFormattedDate is checked every time the game needs a date, usually when the status window changes. It is pretty close to a 'when the game is interacted with' function.

Here is the proof of concept that I just tested in my template:
(onGetFormattedDate.lua)
Code:
local register = {}

function register.onGetFormattedDate(turn,defaultDateString)
    if _global.eventTesting then
        --print(turn,civ.getTurn())
        return "Testing Turn "..turn
    end
    if civ.getActiveUnit() and not civ.getOpenCity() then
        return civ.getActiveUnit().type.name.." attack: "..tostring(civ.getActiveUnit().type.attack)
    else
        return defaultDateString
    end
    return defaultDateString
end

From a brief test, it works like a charm for what you would want (if you can fit the info into a sufficiently small amount of text). When there is no unit active (or a city window is open), the regular date is shown (in your case, it wouldn't be the default date string). When there is a unit active, it shows the unit type's name and attack value. I even tested it with moveSpent, and it updated properly.

That's great ! Much thanks for this review ! :)

That's an interresting strategy :) .
I was rather thinking about going with group-building, leaving as few units alone as possible thus selecting wisely targets towards which sending these considering one's objectives.

Magic-wielder (particulary did I find invocators with their summons) are also a strong help when needing to initiate a fight against a fresh ennemy. Maybe can the college of winterhold help you with that, providing an expedition in that direction* playing as the imperial to explore next to it ?

I'd say, you could also look for exploration in Castle Dour* playing as imperial to see if your recruits and volunteers could benefit from it ?

In the end, all units do benefit incredibly from better gear, which can be bought with a forge providing one selected the corresponding forging policies (ending with the dragon bone one). Upgrading gears into dragon bone forging costs A LOT, so a lot of explorations in wisely selected places and in well planned conditions, sometimes with the right kind of units, are needed to gives dragon bone gears to all.

*Indeed, anyone shall play the way he whishes too. Howether, those are quite some benefits hidden there and there for those who take the time to explore, discovering benefits :)
I'd say, even more deep in the sea ... :D

Well done finding this bug.
That's not a problem for your playthrought : It only makes it impossible for one of the illness to be given by wild creatures.

It is corrected for the patch to come ! Much thanks !

I don't really understand there :
Do you mean a menu choice when pressing "2" giving a gear picture and displaying the unit strength (close and shooting for polyvalent fighters), which can be done
or a unit picture for each gear, which can't (each armed unit can have any gear between the 16 ones, same thing with magic users which can have their gear enchanted too and have the choice between 7 school of magic for 4 levels of mastery) unless we could have few hundred unit slots :D ?

Good point about having individual units for all the weapon and gear upgrades - there's far too many to use unit slots!

Thanks for the pointer about Castle Dour exploration - got me some nice upgrades (I presume given the broom message popup?). In fact, you have reminded me that I've been completely neglecting pressing 3 for exploration; I've been far too preoccupied playing it as a conventional scenario and after the first few tries which only yielded a handful of coins haven't pressed 3 since. Now I'm pressing 3 all over the place :D Got me a werewolf and a rather lovely rendition of Ragnar the red :lol:

I'm guessing I need to re-explore some dungeons and try 3 there as well. Neglecting the RPG aspect has seen me lose out a chance on the first quest for the Jagged Crown. Is this significant in terms of gameplay? Also realise belatedly I really should have explored Movarth Lair and put a stop to the catastrophic vampire infestation :lol:

vamps!.png

Neglecting the RPG aspect has seen me lose out a chance on the first quest for the Jagged Crown. Is this significant in terms of gameplay? Also realise belatedly I really should have explored Movarth Lair and put a stop to the catastrophic vampire infestation
About the jagged crown, just glory and a probability about whiterun hold's fate are altered ;).

I missed it too in my gameplay tests. It's far and hard to set for imperials.

About the vampire infestation, you discovered the hard way why neglecting it has a cost (even more once strong units are catching the sanguinare vampiris desease and are not treated :D )

(I presume given the broom message popup?)
You're right. :)

Got me a werewolf and a rather lovely rendition of Ragnar the red :lol:

:D You had spare money to listen to it, which is great !

Last edited:
onGetFormattedDate is checked every time the game needs a date, usually when the status window changes. It is pretty close to a 'when the game is interacted with' function.

Here is the proof of concept that I just tested in my template:
(onGetFormattedDate.lua)
Code:
local register = {}

function register.onGetFormattedDate(turn,defaultDateString)
    if _global.eventTesting then
        --print(turn,civ.getTurn())
        return "Testing Turn "..turn
    end
    if civ.getActiveUnit() and not civ.getOpenCity() then
        return civ.getActiveUnit().type.name.." attack: "..tostring(civ.getActiveUnit().type.attack)
    else
        return defaultDateString
    end
    return defaultDateString
end

From a brief test, it works like a charm for what you would want (if you can fit the info into a sufficiently small amount of text). When there is no unit active (or a city window is open), the regular date is shown (in your case, it wouldn't be the default date string). When there is a unit active, it shows the unit type's name and attack value. I even tested it with moveSpent, and it updated properly.
I'll definitly test some stuff there then.
Thanks prof !

About the jagged crown, just glory and a probability about whiterun hold's fate are altered ;).

I missed it too in my gameplay tests. It's far and hard to set for imperials.

About the vampire infestation, you discovered the hard way why neglecting it has a cost (even more once strong units are catching the sanguinare vampiris desease and are not treated :D )

You're right. :)

:D You had spare money to listen to it, which is great !
Wait, you can cure vampirism? I've been driving them off or occasionally keeping them. BTW, how is vampirism transmitted in the scenario? Is it just by being attacked by a vamp or can vampires you've accepted into your army spread the disease?

Wait, you can cure vampirism? I've been driving them off or occasionally keeping them.
Like in game, it can be cured during incubation (the unit "seems ill" when checking its status) .;)
No quest yet after transformation.

While keeping them is tempting, one shall not forget some factions may not like one having vampires in its army.

BTW, how is vampirism transmitted in the scenario? Is it just by being attacked by a vamp or can vampires you've accepted into your army spread the disease?

Vampirism, unlike lycantropia, is currently only caught on contact when fighting vampires.
It could be interresting to let own vampires spread it on their own out of one's control yep :) . Added to the todo list

Last edited:
how did you do the borders on the main map and territory colours in the minimap??
Simple things there :
-color in minimap is calcultated based on the base tile colors.
-displayed land on map is using base tile which is then hidden by tile layer (beware of dithering which consider base tile borders ! )

Top Bottom