TETurkhan Test of Time (Map & Mod)

Here's what the 2002 edition of TIME Almanac describes Argentina:

......Argentina is a plain, rising from the Atlantic to the Chilian border and the towering Andes peaks..........The northern area is the swampy and partly wooded Gran Chaco, bordering on Bolivia and Parguay. South of that are the rolling, fertile Pampas, which are rich in agriculture and sheep and cattle grazing and support most of the population. Next southward is Patagonia, a region of cool, arid steppes with some wooded fertile sections.

Yea, doesn't really sound like ALL desert to me.

I love this map. But I was wondering if anyone had made this map compatible with the DyP mod. I would like the map without all the cities already in place. So right now, I have to go and delete all those units that are lying all over the map. Why isn't there a 'delete all units' option in the editor?

When I load up the map in the editor all the resources are screwed up, obviously, because I have the DyP mod installed. So wine shows up where fish should be :crazyeye: . So I was going to go and switch all the resources to the correct ones, so that all the resources are still in the correct locations (and certain city sites are still well supplied with food for high population, etc.). But then I realized that the DyP mod has so many more resources that I would have to come up with new locations for those. So I said, to heck with that and after I selected 'restore default rules' (to use DyP rules) I selected 'redistribute natural resources'. Now I get fruit in tundra (because of forests) and Antartica is loaded with goodies. :mad:

Also I noticed in Antartica at the very south there are a few spots with rivers (tiny lakes). Don't know if that was intentional or not.

Bamspeedy- I would like the map without all the cities already in place.
When you download, aren’t there two Mod. Files? In the folder? You could open your editor, then go to import, choose map, then choose GWM, (without the Cities) If you have to place the Resources yourself, maybe you should download the Modders edition. I noticed the 'Rivers' (that look more like lakes) in antarctica to.

Yes, I realized all those extra units are designated as barbarians, as at first I thought they were belonging to other civs. But I see there are barbarian settler/special ops units. I was thinking maybe those settlers where there for the human to capture them and found their own city. I don't want them there as I want to settle my own cities. Maybe those units are actually barbarian warriors/horseman and because of the DyP mod they appear as different units.

Barbarian Workers, these are merely there to highlight the slave trade, they will not force you to found a city where you find them...

There is also an option for you to play without cities and only resources but with my rules set...

I reviewed Argentina.

There are some areas in Argentina that are desert and many maps I have reviewed support this... As for Argentina not being fertile enough - you have to keep in mind that flood plains look just like deserts... infact when I looked over Argentina on my map most it is full of flood plains and thus very fertile...

The look of flood plains is decieving... hopefully in the future the graphic for this terrain will be modified.

it's true that it's a system of plateau and steppes!!
there aren't really deserts!
desertic weather doesn't mean it's a desert! and it's too cold to be a desert, but also there's no tundra.

des•ert

Pronunciation: (dez'urt),
—n.
1. a region so arid because of little rainfall that it supports only sparse and widely spaced vegetation or no vegetation at all: The Sahara is a vast sandy desert.
2. any area in which few forms of life can exist because of lack of water, permanent frost, or absence of soil.
3. an area of the ocean in which it is believed no marine life exists.
4. (formerly) any unsettled area between the Mississippi and the Rocky Mountains thought to be unsuitable for human habitation.
5. any place lacking in something: The town was a cultural desert.

—adj.
1. of, pertaining to, or like a desert; desolate; barren.
2. occurring, living, or flourishing in the desert: a desert tribe; a desert palm.
3. designed or suitable for wear in the desert, as cool, protective clothing: a big, wide-brimmed desert hat.

"An area having an annual rainfall of 10 in. (25 cm) or less is considered to be a desert. Some deserts have no rain for intervals of several years. Deserts and semideserts exist in some regions having up to about 20 in. (50 cm) of rainfall where evaporation is very high and loss by runoff is great. The largest desert regions of the world lie between 20° and 30° north and south of the equator, either where mountains intercept the paths of the trade winds or where atmospheric high-pressure areas cause descending air currents and a lack of precipitation. Other factors contributing to the formation of deserts include the amount of sunshine, rate of evaporation of water, and range of temperature. Temperature ranges in deserts are often extreme.

Plants of the desert have leaves and stems adapted to lessen their loss of water, and individual plants are more widely spaced than those in more humid regions; their roots form a spreading network sometimes penetrating to 50 ft (15 m) underground. Among the animals living in deserts of North America are species of squirrels, mice, bats, foxes, rabbits, and deer; reptiles, e.g., the Arizona coral snake, species of rattlesnakes, the desert tortoise, and the horned toad, gila monster, and many other lizards; a number of birds, e.g., the cactus wren, the road runner, species of owls, sparrows, and hawks; and spiders, scorpions, termites, and beetles."

All information from Infoplease.com

As you can see from those definitions a desert is not restricted to sand and camels.

sebanaj - well what would you classify the terrain as than, in terms of civ3 terrain that is available? Just because we classify it as desert doesn't mean that it is as bad as what people normally think of when they think of 'desert'. Not all deserts of the world are just like the Sahara, for example. Plains I think *might* be giving them too much food for what that area provides.

Good thing we were already discussing that.

I saw you guys mention it briefly. Was anyone seriously going to do it? Right now I got 3 maps opened up. I'm keeping Teturkhan's map and the basic land formations the same (islands stay the same shape and size, for example), but I'm placing resources based on how Kal-El has them on his 180 X 180 map (I keep the # of resources the same, just sometimes a little further apart because of difference in map size), and Marla's map open for some geographical comparisons, and I got my almanac I am referring to.

I'm not going to be too picky on exactly where the resources and some extra mountains/land changes go, as long as they are pretty close. I changed Iceland more to the way Marla had it. Kal-El's was too fertile, while Teturkhan's was too icy. I added some forests to Greenland to allow a couple small cities there, mostly to serve as military bases/resource gathering. I added some mountains smack dab in the middle of Greenland, so maybe some resources could pop up there and you would have to make a colony there to get it.

I haven't invest too much time into this yet, so if anyone else was already doing this, let me know and tell me how soon you plan to have it done, so I don't waste time doing this...

Bamspeedy,

I would hold off on that unless yoiu just can't wait. The next version of DyP has 7 additional resources and the resources have been rearranged in the bic. I am going to have to redo the map to compensate for the new resource order. Any work you do on Tet's map will then be incompatible with the new version of the mod. Sorry.

The next version of DyP will probably be out before the end of the month. It will have all the new techs and a few more units/improvements/wonders, etc.

I thought I had changed Greenland to be more tundra. Didn't I release that version?

I have the v1.8 of your 180 X180 map for DyP that someone had posted in that thread where they fixed the correct starting locations. I downloaded the first v1.8 of that map that you had posted in your first post there, but the starting locations were screwed up. In this map you have Iceland as having all hills, forests (with plains/grassland underneath), and a mountain. I think if there was tundra underneath those forests it would be better. The sheep on the hills, fish and seal add enough food as it is. Greenland you have as mostly mountains with some forests. Some of the forests have grassland underneath. I think there is too much forests there allowing too many cities in greenland. Probably just have some forests in the south where there are today small cities, so the AI can settle on the forests.

I can tell you one thing about resources on my map, they are very precise in their placement (location)... I did everything to ensure correctness on this front, so in my view and I don't think anyone elses will be dramatically different (most of us have the same sources ;))

I think down the road you can expect a mod, which will have elements of DyP as well as mine in it...

anyhow... I got to get back to work...

PS-Bamspeedy, have you looked at the excell sheet and the readme that came with the download of my map? if you get a chance look it over you might find a number of things in there interesting...

(Kalel - I think you should change the name of your mod to Monster Mod - bloody thing is taking over my thread! :lol: )

here are a few points for those of you who haven't had an opportunity to review the readme file yet:

* resources have been altered, so for example as pointed out a few posts earlier, though Iceland looks completely barren and not able to sustain a city, in actuality it does. I have modified the resources to help those cities. Even though there maybe only one fish resource, it probably produces more than the regular fish food output... I even have some resources appear later on during the industrial age etc to make the city grow even further... this as far as I know is the most in-depth effort for city and resource creation... Some resources such as horses, appear in central asia at the begining, later they spread out, into africa, europe and in later Eras the americas... The resources are not only placed right, but they actually move over time to mimic history...

* furthermore, the size of the cities will grow to how what they did in history... this might not sit well with some, so you can of course alter this.. however from a realism point of view, I dont think you are going to find resources, terrain, cities and their sizes come close to as historically accurate as this map... even the resources were researched to great length, not one, not two but multiple sources... then I had a Geologist look them over... IF there are any inaccuracies then it is a limit of the game itself and not error on my part...

To really understand how this map and mod works I highly recommend you look over the readme, glance over the excel sheet... otherwise you will miss many things that are not visually apparent just from looking at the map.. something do not even show up until later in the game....

On another point, where is my main tester??? PCHighway where are ya?

The Patagonia produce food for 300 millions of people.
yeha it should be plains, and according to the desert definition by Kal-El: none of those points describe the patagonia.
Rio Negro, Neuquen, Chubut, Santa Cruz are full of resources and food production.

It's deserted in terms of density of population!
It rains weekly.

Top Bottom