TETurkhan Test of Time (Map & Mod)

Maybe add a couple of spots where you can cross so exploration isn't restricted but there is still some strategic value.

Don't have all wide rivers, just some.

I think there should be places such as where New Orleans, Vicksburg and St.Louis where the river can only be navigated further upstream if cities have been built there.

Same situation with the Great Lakes and the St.Lawrence river going past Quebec etc.

But, that will be easy to change to make it how I want it.

For the 362x362 map that you're making, you said earlier that you'd have different versions with limited "city spots" I'm wondering, will these city spots be placed in strategic locations (like for the idea koC said) or historically.

I'm interested since while I love your M&M but with only 4 civs I can't even get to the industrial ages before unacceptable slowdowns and I think the only version of your 362x362 map will be the 50 city limit one.

TETurkhan said:
  • Pentium 4-1.6 Ghz
  • 1 Gig DDR Ram
  • 64 MB Video Card

If you have a system that is compatible or has specs somewhat close to these then the mod and map should be playable without long wait times between turns. :hatsoff:

:eek: :( :sad:
That leaves me way in the dust...
Pentium II, 450 Mhz, 384 MB RAM, 16 MB Video.....

I am using a Dell Notebook with the specs I listed above, and it is now a few years old which I would think makes it an average speed computer.

Remember also that I am testing the version of the map version which has the most cities. Thus if people have a computer with better specs than I do the game will play quite fast however if you have a slower system then there are 2 other versions you can choose from. Based on your system's specs I recommend you play the version with only 50 cities :)

Will the city spots be placed historically (most important cities, most populous etc.) or strategically (near resources, bridging water tiles etc.)?

BTW, my system specs are about half of the ones you listed so I think I'll be stuck with the 50 city version although I may see if the 100 version will work

This may sound dumb, but where can you check your own PC's specs?
All I know is that I have a Pentium 3 with a 30G harddrive.

Eddy, go to start menu, all programs, accesories, system tools, system information. that should be what you want.

Also, im running an AMD athalon 2200+ 2.4 Ghz 640 Mb DDR RAM on a 32 Mb video card, I shouldnt have too much lag between turns, should I TE?

So...

I have a Pentium III, 800 Mhz 258 Ram on 810 Intel.

Hhhmmm...I guess I'm kind of slow then then.

When I created Test of Time I really thought more was better. More units, more Civs, bigger map etc but it came at a price. I know many people never got through a game simply because the wait times were insane. I will not make that mistake again… :rolleyes:

Test of Time 2.0 promises to be more challenging, but also more fun and most importantly playable. I want to give you all a mod where things happen as it did in history, but so powerful is the direction of the mod that you really have a tough time to resist or alter its direction. I want all of you to tremble in your seats as the beginning of the twelfth century approaches knowing or if you are unlucky enough not knowing the coming of the Mongol Hordes.:mischief: At the same time, even if you are doing extremely with a huge empire you will feel history pushing back at you. Corruption on an epic scale, barbarian invasions, lousy technology and stagnate economy etc whatever history has shown to have happened you will experience. How well you do is dependant on strategy, because in the Test of Time mod you will be Tested through out Time… :D

Replies:
  • The cities are historically and strategically placed – however if strategically placed you can expect some of them not to grow that much if at all…
  • If you have even half my computer's specs you should be fine. Sure there will be some additional wait time but nothing like Test of Time that shipped out with PTW.

Dease said:
Will the city spots be placed historically (most important cities, most populous etc.) or strategically (near resources, bridging water tiles etc.)?

I think you'll find that in most cases strategic locations for cities will historically have had cities in them... if they dont, then the map has been misdesigned to create a strategic site where there wasn't one in real life, as you can be damn sure that anywhere there is a strategic spot for a city, there has certainly been one at some point in time, and probably still is one...

Also, i imagine the map will have locations available for somewhat more cities than will be present on the maps with cities in order to provide some choice and variation for replayability and such... for example in the south of england there are a number of cities which could have all grown into the main city of the area: London, Southampton, Colchester, and a number of towns that have now been swallowed by London. All of which may be buildable on in the map, (indeed from the screenshot, it looks to me like the bonus grassland terrain is the buildable one, though i could be mistaken on that point) but because they are pretty close together, it would only be wise to have one city over all the possible locations...

azazel93 said:
Also, im running an AMD athalon 2200+ 2.4 Ghz 640 Mb DDR RAM on a 32 Mb video card, I shouldnt have too much lag between turns, should I TE?

AZAZEL- Your Computer Has Better Processor For Gaming And Is 2x as Powerful. Video Memory Shouldnt Matter Unless He's Adding Large Amounts of New Graphics(Your Video Mem Size is The Standard These Days) Your Ram Is Slower But the More Powerful Processor Should Even It Out. :nuke:

Doctala said:
I think you'll find that in most cases strategic locations for cities will historically have had cities in them... if they dont, then the map has been misdesigned to create a strategic site where there wasn't one in real life, as you can be damn sure that anywhere there is a strategic spot for a city, there has certainly been one at some point in time, and probably still is one...

Well, I'm sure that a map with only a 50 or 100 city limit can't have all the strategic locations included as well as major(important) cities.

@TETurkhan - will you be releasing the city limit map before v2 (with rules from 1.93 I'd assume)?

Actually no, the map has hardly any rules, except for city limitations. I am utilizing LM terrain as well as making alterations to terrainbuildings and goodyhuts to give the map graphic rich look. Other than this hold up and a few other minor items the map is done.

TETurkhan said:
Actually no, the map has hardly any rules, except for city limitations. I am utilizing LM terrain as well as making alterations to terrainbuildings and goodyhuts to give the map graphic rich look. Other than this hold up and a few other minor items the map is done.

If I wanted to import the v1.93 rules would that mess up the city limit rules?

If so then maybe releasing another version with the 1.93 rules and the city limits would be a good idea (or you could just say what would have to be changed) :)

Top Bottom