TETurkhan Test of Time (Map & Mod)

I am glad to see some feedback now on the map. What would be very useful for me is if some of you could play it and let me know the following details of your game:

1. Number of Civs
2. Number of Cities
3. Wait time between Turns
4. Speed of Your computer (CPU and Memory)

Based on the feedback I will make necessary adjustments to limit cities in the mod.

Thanks!

BTW – You can find out the number of cities by playing in ‘debug’ mode (do this by opening up the map-click scenario-toggle debug mode) OR you could retire at a certain point then count cities when your game summary comes up.

TET, I just started a game with default rules except for the following conditions -
-ALL units except worker have double movement (workers treat all terrain as roads)
-Settlers are unbuildable, but you start with 2 instead of one
-Barbs are sedentary (to eliminate massive stacks on islands)
So, basically I'm limiting the game to 62 cities :)

I have a 733mhz 384mb ram system.
I'm, playing with 31 civs.
The first 12 turns took awhile (~2-3mins) but now I'm on turn 38 and turn times have been consistently ~35-45 seconds, quite bearable IMO.
The attached pic is of the minimap (after i "retired"), there are 61 cities, apparently the second iroquois one got killed ;)

regarding the map, it's wonderful :D but I don't like how you start off knowing almost all the oceans and even some land that's on the other side of the world :eek: I dont think the chinese should/would know the location of the Mayans ;)

Attachments

• turn38map.png
    turn38map.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 627
Dease can you post you version of the map:rolleyes: sounds fun:D

dreamvirus could you post your save game, I would like to study the map and the game you are playing.(you don't have to but I would like it)

ok, now I'm on turn 86, my two cities are totally mined/roaded/irrigated, I just advanced to the middle ages (first civ to do so i think) I've got ~30 units roaming around, the only problem is that I must've forgot to make barbs sedentary 'cause there's barbs roamin everywhere :mad:

the turns are now taking 1min50secs, although that's probably mostly because of the barbs :(

who are you playing as?

TETurkhan said:
The first download I posted had sections of the map revealed. The currrent download does not - I recommend you download the updated version.

could you please tell me how to make that particular change (get the map completely unrevealed again)?

i downloaded your first version, removed the goodie huts and altered the barbarians locations to the historically accurate ones. i used the barbarian tribe list in the editor and looked up all their locations on the internet. and i'm not really keen on doing all this work again just to have an unrevealed map ;)

i also lowered the playable civs to 16, eliminating the historically less important ones (eg zulus, iroquois, americans :D ...) in order to get a slightly faster game. the non-playable civs have been added to the barbarians list.

other than that your map is really great, the size of el mencey but a lot more accurate when it comes to resources and terrain

i'll keep you up to date how the map plays. oh, and one more thing: have you altered the unit ranges yet? haven't had the time to check...

keep it up!!!

Reply to Tim Staes
Just go into the editor and you will see fog of war option. You can toggle it on or off and then proceed to cover what portion of the map you like with fog or not.

I am doing a complete conversion of unit ranges now. I am also looking over the highly anticipated Rise & Rule put on by the DyP crew. I am attempting to merge elements of R&R into ToT.

So, yes it is a lot of work but it will happen.

Hi all,

First off I'd like to say that I wish I had discovered this mod much earlier as I can't get enough of it! :D

I'm totally impressed with the new rules, units, and civilipedia entries.

I thought I'd report on the performance on my system. I have a PIV 1.6ghz with 512mb of ram. I played the giga map of the earth with 24 civs total. I experienced a 3-30 sec wait time between turns (wtbt) for the first 20-30 turns of the game. Up until about 700ad I had a wtbt of less than 2 mins. After that I started getting wtbt of upwards of 7-8 minutes and eventually quit the game after 1200ad or so when I had a 15-20minute wtbt.

Now I have started a new game with a large map and 16 civs using the mod and a random map and so far I barely notice the wtbt!

This is a great mod and map and I'm wondering if addtional ram would speed things up in the giga map?

I've been playing normal C3C rules using the Giga map with 31 civs. I am not sure exactly how many cities. When the game started and for the first few tens of turns it was going quite quickly, however I am now in the early industrial ages and it is taking 20 minutes and upwards per turn. This time seems to be divided evenly between the actual interturn AI moves, and the post-build section of the beginning of my turn (in other words, after I've received all my build messages for the turn, there is an extended period of waiting before I can actually move a unit, I presume this is when things like income, science, culture, happiness for that turn is calculated).

I have a 2.4Gz Celeron processor, 512 Mb RAM. I think the full 31-civ game on this size map must wait for normal desktop PC processing power to catch up with it ;-)

I'd like to unearth an undead topic or two here...

First, about the "strategic rivers"...
just so you know my frame of reference, i live in minneapolis, minnesota. i have visited the headwaters of the mississippi river at lake itasca in the north-central region of my state. i see the river, and the cities (minneapolis and saint paul) on a daily basis. i have also made a point to learn much about the history of this particular river, and especially "my" segment of it.

River travel—first by Native Americans (Lakotah, Chippewa, and others) via canoe, then by early settlers via sail and steam (primarily steam), and finally by today's petroleum-powered tugs and their rafts of barges—has shaped this area more than any other sociological factor. Minneapolis owes its existence to the flour milling industry (General Mills is still headquartered here.) and before that to the fur-traders and the military. As my Twin Cities sit upon the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers, with the Saint Croix joining the stream only miles downriver, this area became an ideal pathway for early commerce. To regulate that commerce, Fort Snelling was built to watch over the Minnesota-Mississippi confluence and surrounding areas. With the advent of steam power, the flour milling industry took hold, and the river offered cheap transport that was, for the most part, in the right direction. As you can see, the river contributed greatly to early development of my region's commerce and industry, by providing a key transportation route south for valuable goods.

Now for the relevant part, how this ought to relate to a realistic C3C mod... I have little issue with the idea of triremes or even caravelles traversing the mississippi river. In fact, they are similar to early methods of transport used here. However, it is quite impossible for an AEGIS cruiser, a nuclear submarine, or really any 20th century warship, carrier, or transport to even attempt traversing the river, its locks and its dams—especially this far north. I would therefore argue that the furthest north that the mississippi ought to be coastal would be Saint Louis. I mean, really, how funny would it be to read in the daily news that yet another Soviet nuclear :nuke: sub had run aground on that sandbar down by the Joneses farm, near Nicollet?? :lol:

My second point, regarding the much-maligned-yet-so-cuddly dinosaurs...

I personally believe that dinosaurs and humans have walked side by side. There is scientific evidence that corroborates this, but most of it has been thrown out, as it doesn't jive with the "majority" of "accepted" and "confirmed" theory. The idea that scientists can be just as petty and manipulative as politicians can [i.e. that they're human too] is not relevant to the topic at hand however...

What is relevant is that people enjoyed facing off with dinos as a sort of challenge. After all, many ancient cultures describe "mythical" animans [the bible's leviathan as much as the chinese dragon] that just happen to jive with the fossil records we have of dinosaurs. Many myths take root from fact. After all, my uncle's five-foot northern pike story took its start from a mess of "irish trout" that stole his favorite lure. To gain revenge for the loss of his lure, he claimed it was a giant pike, thus successfully stealing the glory from an ill-scheming clump of lake-weeds.

Oi, I seem to have inherited my yid Grandpa's talent for off-topic tangents... anyways, I think it would be a suitable compromise to include a few dinos, and simply make a .txt file that lists their location. When people whine about the unrealistic aspect of having dinos in their game, we can simply tell them where the dinos are so they can delete the offending units themselves, via the editor. And then laugh about how they never noticed that, according to the game, their human avatar/leader character lives for thousands of years. And c'mon! I mean, how unrealistic is that?!?

Despite the unrealistic possibility of AEGIS Cruisers and Nuclear subs going up the Miss., I still prefer having it navigable simply so it will act as a natural boundry/stall for western expansion... It will keep the west wild.

And gunburned, we haven't even seen the C3C TET mod yet. TET might very well still be considering people's ideas in the creation of the mod. You can't give nowisforever a hard time for saying what's on his mind. I found his ideas well-though-out and an enjoyable read. ;)

I have made it so that the rivers are navigable to all but the largest ships. I believe it adds depth and a new strategic element to the game. In some cases certain rivers will form barriers and these will likely become border between various civs - not entirely inaccurate.

nowisforever said:
Now for the relevant part, how this ought to relate to a realistic C3C mod... I have little issue with the idea of triremes or even caravelles traversing the mississippi river. In fact, they are similar to early methods of transport used here. However, it is quite impossible for an AEGIS cruiser, a nuclear submarine, or really any 20th century warship, carrier, or transport to even attempt traversing the river, its locks and its dams—especially this far north. I would therefore argue that the furthest north that the mississippi ought to be coastal would be Saint Louis. I mean, really, how funny would it be to read in the daily news that yet another Soviet nuclear :nuke: sub had run aground on that sandbar down by the Joneses farm, near Nicollet?? :lol:

Would it be possible to use the "sinks in sea" and "sinks in ocean" flags to achieve this? Maybe the "sea" tile could be turned into a river tile and you could flag the Aegis Cruisers, etc to sink it in. Then you could keep the coast and sea tiles for the oceans.

According to previous posts, i guess PTW version is much faster, because:
It takes no more than 2 minutes to wait for AI each turn.

i started on random giga map with 32 civs, now there are left only 25 civs, but all map is populated. I'm in the late modern age, and now building lots and lots and lots of nukes :D .

My pc: p4-2.8HT-presscot, 512ram.

Top Bottom