1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TETurkhan Test of Time (Map & Mod)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - User-created Maps' started by TETurkhan, Aug 9, 2002.

1. nowisforever

nowisforever Chieftain

I'm glad to hear about the rivers...

My only question now, would be how far north are you planning on making the Mississippi navigable? For accuracy's sake (which I understand and appreciate to be one of the driving forces behind this mod, the Mississippi is not generally navigable beyond the city of Saint Cloud, MN (for practical reasons, scale would put that on or one tile NW of Minneapolis on your incredibly well-done world map). The reasons for this are two-fold. First, for a long time a natural feature known as Saint Anthony Falls made Minneapolis the northernmost endpoint of any commercially significant river traffic (larger than a canoe, that is). Second, even with lock and dam technologies, the river is neither wide nor deep enough north of Saint Cloud to support even barges, with their (relatively) shallow draft.

And yes, gunburned, I do realize that I can adapt the mod to my own preferences (I confess to having made minor adjustments in the past, for the sake of accuracy and perceived playability); however, my concern in these posts reflects more on my desire to help with the viability and accuracy of the mod as whole so that everyone can benefit from the realism, and not just me :)

And now, that having been said... another monkey wrench: The FormerSoviet Republics

Regarding this topic, and the prevalence of diametrically opposed ideologies and alliances throughout history, how will events such as the break-up of the Communist Soviet state into the smaller Federation and satellite nations occur? Is this considered to be a "powerful force of history" in specific, much akin to Rome's ultimate destruction of Carthage, or is it reflected more on a general level, not specifically related to later-game Russia?

Of course, the Modern-era start would probably have relevant events built-in, now that I think on it. However, would similar "historical gravity" be applied to a player who has played from Ancient or even an Industrial Age start, once they reach a relevant "trigger" or technological level?

Then again, maybe I shouldn't beg for too many plot-spoilers... After all, half the fun is in discovering how it all works out (the mod, I mean) and finding all the surprises in it.

And, by the way, who else thinks that :bounce: looks like a bouncing poo?

2. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Prince

With a little guided imagination, it DOES look like a poo. :mischief:

Sorry, back from a long Civ-hiatus; where's the 2.0 mod again?
    Can't wait to get my hands on it! :goodjob:

3. navman74

navman74 Chieftain

Hmm, ok, perhaps I am missing something, but there appears to be only one map/scenario. Where can I dl the map with cities,etc preplaced? I had the PTW version, but on the first page of this thread it said to erase the other maps/scenarios, then there is not any with the downloads. I had trouble with the downloads as well, and not sure if these are related.
    Ron

4. EddyG17

EddyG17 King

are you talking of the 2.0 version?
    If you are then you must know that there is only one map, 365x365 with no cites and normal rules, the mod is still not done but the map is.
    If you are not talking about the 2.0 version then I don't know what you are talking about.

5. navman74

navman74 Chieftain

No, I downloaded the update to 1.93, there was alot in the update, but not sure what exactly it was as it was a long download, but there is no scenario in the end, in my scenario folder. Everything looks the same after I updated, except I can't play the mod as there is none lol..so I would love some advice

6. navman74

navman74 Chieftain

Ok this is the winrar report, after the 3rd time downloading...! C:\Program Files\Atari\Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Scenarios\tet1.93-update.exe: CRC failed in CIV3PTW\Scenarios\TETurkhan\Art\Flics\kw_D01.flc. The file is corrupt
    ! C:\Program Files\Atari\Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Scenarios\tet1.93-update.exe: CRC failed in CIV3PTW\Scenarios\TETurkhan\Art\Flics\kw_D02.flc. The file is corrupt
    ! C:\Program Files\Atari\Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Scenarios\tet1.93-update.exe: CRC failed in CIV3PTW\Scenarios\TETurkhan\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\resources\AltarCrosslarge.pcx. The file is corrupt
    ! C:\Program Files\Atari\Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Scenarios\tet1.93-update.exe: CRC failed in CIV3PTW\Scenarios\TETurkhan\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\resources\AltarCrosssmall.pcx. The file is corrupt
    ! C:\Program Files\Atari\Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Scenarios\tet1.93-update.exe: CRC failed in ..... etc(repeats with 152 errors ttl)

7. navman74

navman74 Chieftain

There is more also, but wouldn't fit. Any ideas?
    And as soon as someone lets me know I will edit it and shorten it,just trying to give an idea what I mean.

8. Bobisback

Bobisback Emperor

That happens to me, but mine still play's the mod and it works fine.

9. navman74

navman74 Chieftain

Thx I will try. :)

10. gunburned

gunburned Warlord

:crazyeye: :crazyeye: :crazyeye: This mod has got to come out soon! I stoped playing CIV 3 and your Mod some time after. The only reason i haven't uninstalled Civ 3 yet is cause ive been waiting for you mod, thats how much faith I have in this mod.
    Please you got to hurry I dont know how much longer I can wait! :crazyeye: :crazyeye: :crazyeye:

11. rocketman6920

rocketman6920 Chieftain

NAVMAN-Did u dl TET 1.66 first? u have to dl 1.66 and then the 1.93 versions.

12. navman74

navman74 Chieftain

:) Yes, first and second tries were downloading the patch to 1.66, then the patch to 1.93. Third time was downloading the whole mod(1.66) then the patch to 1.93.

13. EddyG17

EddyG17 King

Have you added any of the C3C features to the mod?

14. Jeff Yu

Jeff Yu Prince

Whoa. It's been a while since I've checked this thread, and it looks like the thread has expanded into 49 pages. :eek: Since you've been hard at work playtesting and tweaking the 2.0 version of the mod, is it too late to make radical, game-altering suggestions?

It always bothered me to see some of the more nomadic, roaming civilizations like the Mongols, Zulu, and so on build huge numbers of workers and start turning the Gobi Desert into a blossoming river valley, so I modded my own versions. I made several different versions of workers, so that different civilizations gain the ability to build workers at different times, so that historically agricultural civilizations get a better head start. I also gave the tribes various unique units the 'enslave' ability, allowing the nomad civs to capture barbarians and enemy units as slave workers, so that they need to raid other civs for slaves because they aren't able to build any themselves. I also counterbalanced the disadvantage of having no worker build ability by giving some cheaper starting units, like cheaper horsemen for the Mongols and Turks.

I haven't playtested enough to see how this affects game balance, but it's pretty fun playing as the Mongols to have to constantly launch expeditions to crush barbarian tribes to capture slaves, and to start wars in order to capture workers and resources

;)

15. TETurkhan

TETurkhan Game Developer

Jeff Yu I really like the 'worker' ideas you have come up with - will put it down on the Mod's to-do list.

16. dieselpr

dieselpr Chieftain

Hey :)
    First I'd like to congratulate you T on an AWESOME map!
    I've played two games but I have a huge problem with the "Too many cities" message. After about the 1200's or 1300's there are no more available cities to build and a huge area of the map (some parts of South America and Africa and the whole of Australia) left unsettled. That wouldn't be a problem if it didn't leave one of the main sources of rubber and aluminum pratically unavailable unless one puts an army of workers to the task of builing roads through the jungle in South America. Can something be done about this?

17. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Welcome to CFC [party]

18. EddyG17

EddyG17 King

Well, you can't settle in jungle so you will still need to build roads trough the jungle to get that rubber.

The map is awsome, and england looks gorgeus! I m really looking forward to it.

19. dieselpr

dieselpr Chieftain

Clearing one square of jungle is not quite the same as building 20 squares of road through jungles and mountains and then defending a rubber/aluminum colony. And anyway the whole of modern day Argentina, Hawaii, Australia and New Zeland are still off limits because of the city number limit. This really makes it very hard for European civs to truly expand in any meaningful fashion and, if the whole point of an Earth map is to play history, that leaves out arguably the most significant part development in the last millenium, the colonization of the American continent and Oceania.

20. Reno

Reno The Studio Ghibli Fanatic