The Age of Despair

The cities wouldn't neccessarily have to provide their nation's primary Mana type imo.

Yeah, the unique city ruins would provide one type of mana, namely the one they best represent.
E.g. Ruins of Cevedes would provide an unrazeble supply of metamagic mana. Kwythellar would provide Spirit. Prespur would provide Body etc. Not all Capitals may have been destroyed, but only the Ruins of capitals should provide mana...

Flavourwise to reflect the flowing power that once ran through these huge cities...

The Kuriotate Capital doesn't really have much of a connection to the spirit sphere. Creation Mana would be best there, if it is implemented. Sun, Law, or Nature all seem more appropriate than Spirit to me.

Heya, just noticed this project, looks really interesting, I have two small questions:

1: What would the "natural" reaction of the Kuriotates be if the Golden Dragon was slain by the Infernals? I am thinking that they would be crippled under Cardiths overcareful leadership and would be a small, isolationistic civ, perhaps even denying that the infernals exist, building their own, small, hidden wonderland?

2: Do you need someone to write text/entries? I am not a lorefreak, but I am interested in the lore and in writing my own FfH stories. I could help if needed :)

As someone else mentioned: The general picture is not dark enough - the game is about falling, not redemption :)

As someone else mentioned: The general picture is not dark enough - the game is about falling, not redemption :)

Exactly. I know it is natural that people forget their differences in times of dire need, but this is a dark fantasy setting and I don't think many of the civs are appropriate to that setting.

I, however, like the possibility of redemption.

(shamelessly stealing from someone in the Lore forum, i believe): people don't realize that FFH is not just Despair and darkness. there is also redemption and hope: Decius can choose not to fall, Brigid stays pure even when her creator falls, Sirona beleives that Agares can still be redeemed (which i think should be a theme of this modmod). there are plenty of examples where Darkness is defeated. Just because, in this case, Despair and entropy have gotten a hold of the world, it doesn't mean that all will despair. some will choose to become better people in the face of adversity.

@Diamondeye: Any stories you want to write up would be great: the release of Brigid and her ascension, Sirona's Death and rebirth, The Kraz ke tun's exodus from the underhome, Laroth's overthrow of Arawn... anything, really. and i'm sure that anything that is written up can find it's way in here.

Even when Decius does fall, it seems he gets redeemed. I think it might be more interesting if taking the noble Malakim path is the one that makes him fall in the end.

Spoiler The ascension of Brigid, suggestion :
The orc at the head of the group peeked into the clearing. With a quick gesture, she signalled to the rest of the small group to follow her. One by one, the rough outlines of the few members of the Clan who had survived the Impact showed themselves. They were all as silent as Sheelba, some of them with amazement, some of them with a grimace of indignation.

Finally, an old male orc spoke: "Sheelba, I am sure that you have lead us here in good faith, but must I remind you how much destruction the gods and angels have already wrecked upon this world? I say that we leave this place forever and seek the protection of the mountains to our east, far from the infernals grasp."

Many of the other elders nodded in agreement, and Sheelba saw that she was outnumbered. Only few of the leaders of the clan were young enough to hold the same hopes as she. She moved out into the clearing as she replied.

"Can you not see, Orkthul? This may be the new rise of the Clan, and the return to the glory of the ancient times! And this may be our only chance to stop the infernals. Do not doubt that if you cower under a fortress of mountains as the dwarves do, Hyborem himself will come after you and kill you like a rat."

The crowd murmered at her words. She had insulted one of the oldest leaders of the clan, but she spoke with a passion and vision that wakened the hopes in more than one of the elders. They all knew the stories passed on in the tribes through generations, from when the Clan were favoured by an angel. Perhaps this was their golden opportunity after all?

Orkthul spoke again: "Even if the elders decide that this is a wise move, how would you free her? She is an angel and she is bound here by powers not even within the reach of our most proficient shaman?"

A general murmer of agreement washed through the crowd. Sheelba replied fast, she knew she had to win the mood of the crowd to her side once again.
"I can free her. Let me try. If I succeed, we will be led into a new golden age. If I fail... The tribes are yours to command, Orkthul."

Many of the elders gasped at the young womans courage and audacity. As if one, they looked to Orkthul, a tense atmosphere quickly making the air heavier. Finally, the old orc nodded. "Very well. Whatever the outcome, you will decide our fate, Sheelba. Remember that."

Sheelba nodded and took a deep breath. She turned around and looked at the Ring. She could see the silhouette of the angel in the middle of it. Brigid the Shining, was her name, Sheelba knew. She also knew that the magic prison that kept her imprisoned was called the Ring of Carcer, and was, as Orkthul emphasized, constructed by beings far more powerful than any mortal. She slowly approached the circle. The light that seemed to spring from the gorund itself almost blinded her. Still, she kept walking closer, eyes narrowed against the bright light.

A shock went through the crowd as Sheelba disappeared into the bright circle of sunlight. Another, more disheartened, shock passed through the crowd as the angel descended towards were Sheelba had entered, sword first.

Sheelba almost screamed out in horror as Brigid descended upon her. The blade of the angel stopped only a nailswidth from her throat. A loud and roaming, yet beautiful voice met her: Halt, Mortal. It is my duty to warn you. Step closer and it may cost you your life!
Sheelba opened her eyes and looked at the angel. She was immensely threatening, but behind that, Sheelba thought she saw a small glint of something else... Desperation?

With a nerveous voice, close to breaking, Sheelba answered the angel. "I hear your warning, Brigid the Burning. I have come to free you from this prison."

The angel looked at her across the sword, still resting immovable, close to Sheelbas throat. Again, the voice almost overwhelmed the young woman. "To free me? Who would be so... Tell me your name and clan, orc."

Sheelba nodded. "I am Sheelba of the Clan of Embers. I am the chieftain of my clan and all the tribes under it."

The angel replied instantly, still with a voice that shook what calm Sheelba had left.
"It is my duty to warn you, mortal. Freeing me is no easy task. And even if you succeed, it may cost the life of yourself and every single member of your clan. Do you wish to continue?"

Sheelba had no idea as to whether the elders outside could hear the angel. She hoped that they atleast could not hear her, as she replied. "Yes. It is my last hope. I am willing to free you still, angel."

"Very well. In that case, take this." Brigid removed the blade from Sheelbas throat and handed it to the young orc. The sword felt strangely light, and hot. Sheelba looked at the angel.

"Use it. Destroy what is left of my descended body. But promise me that you will not have pity or mercy left towards me. And only do this if you truly mean it is the best for your people, not only for yourself."

Sheelba stopped. Was she doing this to help her own people? Or to prove to the old leaders that she could? She bit her jaws together and grunted. Of course she did for the best of clans. She took the sword and thrusted it into torso of the angel. Brigid fell back, letting a terrible shriek of pain tear the through the air. It was so gruesome that Sheelba instinctively stepped foward to loosen the sword from Brigits chest, but she saw the despair in the angel's eyes and stopped, staring at the angel who threw herself violently around in the circle, still shrieking.

After what seemed like an eternity, Brigid fell to the ground. And remained there, silent. Sheelba barely noticed that the Carcer dispersed and that she and Brigid was now in plain eyesight of the elders. She stood still and watched the still body of the angel. Had she failed Brigit? Has she shown pity? Or worse still, egoism? What would happen if she had?

Suddenly I violent spasm shook Brigids body. From the corpse, a golden, steamy spirit lifted itself into the air. It looked like Brigids body, but it was younger... And more alive. When comparing this spirit to the now lifeless body on the ground, Sheelba noticed how the angels old body looked filled with despair, almost afraid. This reborn Brigid did not seem burdened by so earthly feelings. Sheelba heard the voice once again and so did the rest of the clan, and most of the forests animals:

"I have been freed! Gods and mortals alike, know that this people of the Ember is under my wings now!"

In a lower voice, she spoke to Sheelba: "Thank you for rescuing me, Sheelba. As a return of the favour, I will do what you asked me to. I will watch over your people. But only as long as they watch over themselves. And remain true to me."

Sheelba nodded. Now she knew why the elders had argued not to deal with the overworldly beings. There was no way back now. The Clan would follow Brigid or decay. A question passed straight from her mind and onto her lips:
"Why did I have to kill you? And why that way?"

Brigid smiled at her. "Those who imprisoned me reasoned that whoever wanted to free me would do so out of pity for me, or to seek personal glory. They cursed my prison so that the only way to free me was to give me a remorseless and selfless death. Perhaps you were the only person who could do that. In any case, I owe you much. I will do my best to aid you."

"Aid me not", Sheelba answered. "Aid my people."

The Clan watched in astonishment as the spirit of the angel ascended and quickly hovered far above the clearing, until it could no longer be seen. Sheelba felt Orkthul walking up to her. "We will soon find out whether you have saved us... Or doomed us all"

very Good. if you don't mind, could you also possibly write a story about the uniting of some of the clan and the bannor under Brigid? (as the Pedia entry for the Braduke Alliance)

Of course :)

Spoiler The Braduk Alliance :
Guided by the angel Brigid, the Clan quickly prospered. For now, Sheelba had decided to stay out of the attention of the Infernals, but she knew that she had to face them sooner or later. And when she had to, she needed strong allies.

It was here the Bannor entered the consideration. Sheelba had experienced how brutal and merciless those devoted warriors could be. But the Bannor the Clan had met had been different. They had not been hostile. In fact, they seemed almost welcoming.

Sheelba turned all this in her thoughts one last time as she walked towards the meeting place. The leader of the Bannor had asked for an audience, and Sheelba had happily agreed. She arrived at the top of the hill. Up there stood the leader of the Bannor, the fair Sabathiel, with a single guard besides her. Sheelba had also brought a single other, Orkthul, whom she had honored with the position of her right hand.

Sabathiel looked up at Sheelba.

"It is with glee that I welcome you, Sheelba of the Embers. It has been ages since I have seen others than my own people and the Infernals." Sabathiel looked worn out, and Sheelba did not doubt her words.
"My people have held their ground the best they could for years. Still, the Infernals are gaining land on us. We will ultimately fail if we fight them alone."

Sheelba felt a surge in her stomach. The sad and almost decreeing voice shocked her, but the subject of an alliance looked like it would be brought up by Sabathiel herself.

"I fear that the gods have left us for good. It looks as if they cannot take act against the Infernals without breaking the Compact. Even in this grave situation, Junil would not do that. Hence, I pledge that your people will join our fight and then, perhaps, we can drive the Infernal scourge from this world."

Sheelba looked at Sabathiel for a long time before replying.

"The gods may have deserted the world, but the angels have not, Sabathiel. Have your people join mine under the guidance of Brigid the Shining, and we can build an empire together that can outlast the Infernals, once and for all."

Sheelba watched as a tear rolled down Sabathiels cheek. Slowly, the Bannor leader replied.

"Still there is hope! Although I doubt Junil will approve of this course of action, I would be willing to pledge a unification of our people under the guidance of this angel. I thank you sincerely, Sister."

Sabathiel looked unsure of herself as she ended the sentance. Then she threw her arms around Sheelba in an embrace. "Let this be the new dawn of the Bannor and the Clan alike!"

Thus, the Braduk Alliance was founded.

Of course :)

Spoiler The Braduk Alliance :
Guided by the angel Brigid, the Clan quickly prospered. For now, Sheelba had decided to stay out of the attention of the Infernals, but she knew that she had to face them sooner or later. And when she had to, she needed strong allies.

It was here the Bannor entered the consideration. Sheelba had experienced how brutal and merciless those devoted warriors could be. But the Bannor the Clan had met had been different. They had not been hostile. In fact, they seemed almost welcoming.

Sheelba turned all this in her thoughts one last time as she walked towards the meeting place. The leader of the Bannor had asked for an audience, and Sheelba had happily agreed. She arrived at the top of the hill. Up there stood the leader of the Bannor, the fair Sabathiel, with a single guard besides her. Sheelba had also brought a single other, Orkthul, whom she had honored with the position of her right hand.

Sabathiel looked up at Sheelba.

"It is with glee that I welcome you, Sheelba of the Embers. It has been ages since I have seen others than my own people and the Infernals." Sabathiel looked worn out, and Sheelba did not doubt her words.
"My people have held their ground the best they could for years. Still, the Infernals are gaining land on us. We will ultimately fail if we fight them alone."

Sheelba felt a surge in her stomach. The sad and almost decreeing voice shocked her, but the subject of an alliance looked like it would be brought up by Sabathiel herself.

"I fear that the gods have left us for good. It looks as if they cannot take act against the Infernals without breaking the Compact. Even in this grave situation, Junil would not do that. Hence, I pledge that your people will join our fight and then, perhaps, we can drive the Infernal scourge from this world."

Sheelba looked at Sabathiel for a long time before replying.

"The gods may have deserted the world, but the angels have not, Sabathiel. Have your people join mine under the guidance of Brigid the Shining, and we can build an empire together that can outlast the Infernals, once and for all."

Sheelba watched as a tear rolled down Sabathiels cheek. Slowly, the Bannor leader replied.

"Still there is hope! Although I doubt Junil will approve of this course of action, I would be willing to pledge a unification of our people under the guidance of this angel. I thank you sincerely, Sister."

Sabathiel looked unsure of herself as she ended the sentance. Then she threw her arms around Sheelba in an embrace. "Let this be the new dawn of the Bannor and the Clan alike!"

Thus, the Braduk Alliance was founded.

I think the leader you wanted was Capria, not Sabathiel.

^yeah.

also, could you write it to be more of a Desperation move (possibly directly influenced by Brigid?)

Sorry, I seem to be lacking knowledge of the Bannor... I meant Capria. That's easily fixable though...

Yes, Thomas, I can do that, I will give it another try later. for now I need to play FfH, I haven't done so in three days due to a stupid school paper... :)

For the Braduk alliance, Capria and perhaps Jonas would make great heroes.

I'm not sure about the lore around Jonas, but an orckic, magic-based hero would be brilliant. Something really different and interesting IMO.

Tasunke could lead a band of bandits, roaming the wastelands raiding whoever comes their way. Or do a bit of mercenary work for whoever pays. (As barbarians that is)

Could be an event that isn't in every game.

This seems really interesting... how much has actually been done or are we just discussing concepts?

Al

I believe they had finished the basic mod, but is looking for more details, civs, and lore to stick on. By the way, it is Brigit, not Brigid (or at least I think it is....)

Top Bottom