The Ancient Mediterranean MOD

Re: English translations

Correct my bad english.

Welcome, [CT_NAME ]. You are before Viriato, whips of Rome, leader of all the iberian tribes. Watch out to enter in our lands, the mountains can be very traitors.

Try this:
Welcome, [CT_NAME]. You stand before Viriato, scourge of Rome, leader of the Iberian tribes. Fear to enter our lands, the mountains can betray you.

For english people this quotes are good ?
<Tag>TXT_KEY_TECH_WOOD_WORKING_QUOTE</Tag>
<English>"There is no worse wedge than the one of the wood."</English>

I'm not personally familiar with this quotation. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me as it reads. If you can give me the reference (ie: who said it) I can try to track it down.

<Tag>TXT_KEY_TECH_VICE_ROY_QUOTE</Tag>
<English>"Land!" - Rodrigo de Triana, sailor of Colon</English>

(seems fine to me)

<Tag>TXT_KEY_TECH_TOOLS_QUOTE</Tag>
<English>"The oxidation by lack of use much more spends the tools that the own work." - Benjamin Franklin</English>

I think the quote you are reverse-translating is:
"Sloth, like rust, consumes faster than labor wears."

Leptomeninges said:

Try this:
Welcome, [CT_NAME]. You stand before Viriato, scourge of Rome, leader of the Iberian tribes. Fear to enter our lands, the mountains can betray you.

Maybe:

Welcome, [CT_NAME]. Behold Viriato, scourge of Rome, leader of the Iberian tribes. Beware of entering our lands. For their mountains may betray you.

Or: Hail [CT_NAME]. I'm Viriato. Care for some Legionary salad? I culled it myself! :hammer:

Leptomeninges said:
I'm not personally familiar with this quotation. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me as it reads. If you can give me the reference (ie: who said it) I can try to track it down.

MMmM, it's popular quote. The "No hay peor cu&#241;a que la de la misma madera."

The worst "cu&#241;a" ( A "cu&#241;a" is a "wedge", A wedge is a small chunk of wood in the shape of top very sharp(long), that if one fixes you in the body damages very much) is the same wood.

Silly example of what I say:

The worst human is the same human.

&#191;This is correct?
"There is no worse wedge that the same wood."

There is no wedge worse than that of the same wood.

But I never heard of such a saying, though it makes sense for the vast woods on the Iberian peninsula ;)

Pvblivs said:
There is no wedge worse than that of the same wood.

But I never heard of such a saying, though it makes sense for the vast woods on the Iberian peninsula ;)

You can write a new quote for "Güiris" ( the people of north-countries) and I put it. If you write it in german and in english better, I rename in the both languages.

Maybe:

"The axe at home doth save the carpenter.", Friedrich Von Schiller, Wilhelm Tell

"Die Axt im Hause erspart den Zimmermann.", Friedrich von Schiller, Wilhelm Tell

"Para nada necesito al carpintero, gracias a mi hacha.", Friedrich von Schiller

Well, actually, there are no real sayings referring to wood work. More sayings playing with wood as metaphor like "Wo gehobelt wird da fallen Sp&#228;ne" - "You can't make bricks without straw" in English. You see, the meaning of it has actually nothing to do with wood but with costs you have when you're working with / on something.

The above quote from Friedrich Schiller is, I think, one of the best known. Not really have to do with wood but rather with tools and is of course some kind of metaphor. But nevertheless it's in the context ;)

Hmm... they don't sound that great really... Who is the first one from, then I could find the original english?

And in general... we need quotes for the new techs. Please come up with quotes, guys!

Spirit_Viriato said:
For english people this quotes are good ?

<Tag>TXT_KEY_TECH_WOOD_WORKING_QUOTE</Tag>
<English>"There is no worse wedge than the one of the wood."</English>

<Tag>TXT_KEY_TECH_VICE_ROY_QUOTE</Tag>
<English>"Land!" - Rodrigo de Triana, sailor of Colon</English>

<Tag>TXT_KEY_TECH_TOOLS_QUOTE</Tag>
<English>"The oxidation by lack of use much more spends the tools that the own work." - Benjamin Franklin</English>

PD: I'm going out to lunch.
PD2: Chelsea 1- F.C. Barcelona 2 :D

I have actually bounced the same thought through my mind. It should be possible, but a LOT of work. The Python scripting itself can't be that difficult, the Greek World mod does similar things.

Let's keep that in the back of our minds for now, and focus on basic gameplay. That would be a great add-on, once we've done the more basic (and easier things).

Let's finish the basic things and then add the fancy bits on. :)

Pvblivs said:
This night I got addicted to TAM, though it is not even final ;-)

I recognized that it is very difficult to start with Egypt. There is just floodplains and grasslands. I wonder how the AI Hatty manages it in my game to be no. 3 of all from the beginning on... I always had serious health and production problems for a long time until I managed to really grow dangerous.

Though it is great. I always wonder if there could be some method to propose for a city founded somewhere the right ancient city name (maybe civ-specific like Constantinople for Caesar and Byzantion for Agamemnon and a default name if some other founds it. If you know a way it could be done and just need someone who's programming it, ask me ;-)

Suggestion: A file with map tile coordinates linked to city names. Founding a city instead of suggesting the next free name in the list the next free nearest city name is suggested. Like when you found a city near the isthmus of Byzantion with Mycaenae, "Byzantion" is proposed as the city name instead of "Athens" ;-)

What do YOU think?

Sid Mier Sid Mier ..... HES EVRYWHERE AHHHHHHHH

thamis said:
I like the Friedrich Schiller quote. But I think we should use it for tools...
Right you are aware that i was refering to the sid mier leaderhead being used for nearly every barberic tribe:rolleyes:

About wood working...

Actually I have a nice quote from Michelango "Frieden findet man nur in den W&#228;ldern."

But I did not find any translation for this one making it difficult to adopt it to the other languages for "wood working".

In English this could be "Peace is only to be found in woods.", Michelangelo.

Who can make it better? Spanish, French, Italian original? ;)

thamis said:
And in general... we need quotes for the new techs. Please come up with quotes, guys!

It would be great to use the Wiki for this. I think it would be easier if someone created a list with the new techs and we can simple wrote down the quotes or other things there afterwards.

Pvblivs said:
It would be great to use the Wiki for this. I think it would be easier if someone created a list with the new techs and we can simple wrote down the quotes or other things there afterwards.

The list of techs would be the tech tree (linked in the main post).

And I agree. Use the wiki (also linked from the main post) and put stuff in there!

Can you put together a list of techs you need quotes for? I might be able to help you out...

Ohhh, 100% Spanish MOD. Tested.

Nowadays the mod are in English,Spanish and German.

Until V.1.3 If anyone wants to play in spanish extract the zip file in: \Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods\The Ancient Mediterranean\Assets\XML\Text.

Attachments

• Text_Corrections.zip
    175.7 KB · Views: 53
Pvblivs said:
This night I got addicted to TAM, though it is not even final ;-)

I recognized that it is very difficult to start with Egypt. There is just floodplains and grasslands. I wonder how the AI Hatty manages it in my game to be no. 3 of all from the beginning on... I always had serious health and production problems for a long time until I managed to really grow dangerous.

Though it is great. I always wonder if there could be some method to propose for a city founded somewhere the right ancient city name (maybe civ-specific like Constantinople for Caesar and Byzantion for Agamemnon and a default name if some other founds it. If you know a way it could be done and just need someone who's programming it, ask me ;-)

Suggestion: A file with map tile coordinates linked to city names. Founding a city instead of suggesting the next free name in the list the next free nearest city name is suggested. Like when you found a city near the isthmus of Byzantion with Mycaenae, "Byzantion" is proposed as the city name instead of "Athens" ;-)

What do YOU think?

Having played Egypt, I think your exact contrary. Having ONLY flood plains ? First off that's a wonderful start, lots of commerce which will make you have a boost in research. Flood plains are only around the start place and anyways on them cottage/workshop is a very good combo.

Top Bottom