The Atlas Project

Hey there! This is a pretty cool program, and I'm glad to see it spring back to life. You asked for requests and comments, so here goes:

I don't know if this is to be part of the new interface, but it would be nice to be able to see where the rivers are. Since the game uses "this tile has a river to the [direction] of it", perhaps just drawing a blue line along that side of the square would do. Also, using colored circles inside the squares to indicate resources would allow you to see where the resources are and what type of land they're on at the same time.

Resource clumping isn't necessarily a problem. In the real world, many resources clump up in some regions leaving other regions without any. For instance, oil is abundant in the Persian Gulf, west Texas, and the North Sea, but almost completely absent from west Africa and southeast Asia. Some areas just have the geology for it and some do not. It adds a major stategic element to the game as well; it's a fun and humbling experience to be the world's scientific leader for millennia, then have the #2 guy win the space race because he has aluminum and you do not. :)

Agricultural resources in the real world tend to spread, but only to the ocean. There are a lot of new world crops (maize, tomatos) that were unknown in the old world until colonial times, and vice versa (wheat and cows are native to the old world). Would it be possible to have some resources spread all over the world like normal, but pick a handful at random to only be placed on a single random landmass?

Thanks!

Thanks Erynon! That's helpful. I especially like the idea of using circles for the resources. I've been thinking about that. Continent-specific crops sound cool and feasible as well.

I intend to include several options for resource grouping; scattered, clumped, etc.

Here's a screenshot of the work in progress. As you can see, I got rid of the big array of buttons and instead I put loads of stuff in menus.
Anyway, I've programmed quite a bit the last days and I'm extremely happy that Atlas can finally load maps. But a lot still needs to be done ;)

Junuxx said:
Thanks Erynon! That's helpful. I especially like the idea of using circles for the resources. I've been thinking about that. Continent-specific crops sound cool and feasible as well.

I intend to include several options for resource grouping; scattered, clumped, etc.

Here's a screenshot of the work in progress. As you can see, I got rid of the big array of buttons and instead I put loads of stuff in menus.
Anyway, I've programmed quite a bit the last days and I'm extremely happy that Atlas can finally load maps. But a lot still needs to be done ;)

Hi Junuxx,

I like your program very much:goodjob:. I had to stop using it at some point, as some of the new resources added by some mods could not be reproduced. (I may be daft at using it, though).

I'm happy to hear you're going to update it. Are you planning to include the ViSa/Sevomod resources?

Thks

I haven't kept up with this thread much, is it now capable of loading and editing maps outside of the game effectively?

@Gr3yHound:
Cool! You really should. I for one still use MapView a lot :)

@civludo:
That's a nice idea! I think I can add support for the new resources of a couple of the more popular mods, sure :)

@riesscar:
I am still working on some functions, but yes, loading maps has been implemented, as well as a few other useful things, like cropping or enlarging the map, cut/copy/paste functionality, and placing and deleting continents with a click. And I will continue adding stuff :)

Junuxx said:
@Gr3yHound:
Cool! You really should. I for one still use MapView a lot :)

@civludo:
That's a nice idea! I think I can add support for the new resources of a couple of the more popular mods, sure :)

@riesscar:
I am still working on some functions, but yes, loading maps has been implemented, as well as a few other useful things, like cropping or enlarging the map, cut/copy/paste functionality, and placing and deleting continents with a click. And I will continue adding stuff :)

great work

Do you have an eta on the next version? I've enjoyed spending many hours creating a custom map but I discovered I do NOT enjoy placing resources. I have been looking for a utility that will allow me to load my map into it and then randomly place the resources for me. If your utility allowed me to load my map it would suit my needs just about perfectly. Perhaps you have a Beta version I can 'test' on my map for you? :) I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the great Atlas Project!

@Gr3yHound:
Yep, it's still Java. By now it is by far my best programming language, and it really is a big project, so switching doesn't seem to be a viable option really ;)

@Bronzeman:
I'm sorry, no ETA, I wish I could have finished this promised new version two months ago. My study is really claiming my time lately. However, the functions you ask for, loading and generating resources, are already working! So putting up a beta version is a good idea. :)

I'll try to remember I have to do so this weekend. :)

You can randomly place resources through the World Builder.

You need to allow the cheat (elsewhere posted), and then hit ~ while in game, or in worldbuilder... then type map.generateBonuses after the curser, enter, leave the cheat console, and your away.

I'll post the correct thread for accessing the cheat code in a few minutes...

What the heck???

Where did junuxx get 0.5?

The 0.43 version is missing a critical feature: LOAD previously worked maps!

I can't go back to a previous map that I worked on. (One particular map, I found out, had too much forest & jungle. I wanted to go back to it to reduce them, but I couldn't.)

Heh. I got it by coding it myself ;)
However it's still not quite finished unfortunately.

I don't mind if the version is still unfinished. Despite that, I'm sure it's got more functionality than v0.43. Can you send it to me anyway, please?

When do you plan to release 0.5? Even if not anytime soon, can you send the unfinished version anyway? If it's risky to use in its unfinished state, I'm willing to take the risk.

This is the first program not working for me on Vista. Running Vista Business.

Is Vista the problem here or something else? Anyone got i working on Vista?

Top Bottom