1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Atlas Project

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Utility Programs' started by Junuxx, Nov 4, 2005.

1. tbear2520

tbear2520 Warlord

Flash1 lets try to keep this project in this thread and others in there own thread. Maybe start your own and post your thoughts there. I mean currently there are probably numerous people that might be interested in helping create an accurate version of the Earth. ;)

Thanks

Tbear2520

2. Flash1

Flash1 Prince

Sorry tbear2520,
    I was lost in thought. As I looking over this map.

3. tbear2520

tbear2520 Warlord

It's OK I think you ment to post on the Flash's Terra map forum. I posted a link you might want to look at there in regards to the Earth map.

Tbear2520

4. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

New version is now available! Try it, while I go get some sleep! ;)

Later guys, thanks for the creative support :goodjob:

5. tbear2520

tbear2520 Warlord

I downloaded ver .21 and it's got some great potential. I think the main layout of the app is pretty much in focus now.

1) I would consider making the Generate Misc to be resources and not the Polar caps. The Polar caps could simply be an off/on check box. As for I am concered. Others might disagree though.

2) I love the X\Y Wrap, that feature this will be very nice for ensuring the map is playable in a round World based game.

3) I wouldn't worry to much about the size. With such a customized map I think the upwards of 150x150 is enough.

4) Can't wait for the mountains and forest to be generated. I think is crucial to be able to see them on the preview. Like you can the desert. Different colors of course.

5) You might do away with the number of islands box. The number of continents and number of islands are kinda one in the same. One or the other would work fine. The purpose of either is straight forward.

6) The speed of map creation and randomization is very impressive! Scary considering how long Civ4 takes to load them.

I can't comment much on the coastal features. I don't know if there up an working yet. I tried several different maps and didn't notice anything different between the types.

Don't forget Forest Ratio on the Terrain Tab!

Curios what the Terrain-Desert\Plain shape and Hill\mountain shape values will do.

As for rivers. I know there needed but I don't think it will be possible to view them on the map preview. Not a bad trade for a totally customized map. Unless of course you can think of a way to put them in.

I know there's a lot to digest.

All in All - All things said :hatsoff: you the man!

TBear2520

6. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

Hey TBear! Keep the comments coming :goodjob:

1) I planned to give Misc resources, starting locations ans polar caps. But maybe those need to be separate as well. Currently the polar caps generated are passable snow instead of the game's usual impassable ice. Good idea to give the user choice on that?

4) Yeah, it really is time for more terrains now. Don't think I'll have time for that today though. And if I do, I like to actually play the game once in a while, too ;)

5) I'm not sure about that. In some settings the islands seem not so important, but try a big map with a few (like, two) big continents. Having 0 or 30 islands is a major difference, and influences exploration and stuff greatly.

6)Yes, the time it takes Civ 4 is scaring me too :lol: I hope it's got something to do with the 3D-ness and all.

Anyway, big thanks. I need to make a credits section ;)

7. Rhymes

Rhymes Drive 4 25 is back

awesome job... Bu How does it affect the Hall of fame? Will the map size be RANDOM or STANDARD by default for example?

8. Rhymes

Rhymes Drive 4 25 is back

By the way this thread should definitely be duplicated or moved to the utility forum

9. Flash1

Flash1 Prince

Junuxx,
    Question, How does your generator allocate resources and "goody huts"?
    I realized I'm going to need some way to figure out how I'm going to allocate them on my maps.

10. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

@ Rhymes:
    I will include something for the highscore size. It will give a map a default size type based on the number of plots. For example, a 30x120 map will get a 'Large' flag ( or whatever is appropriate for such a size, have to look into it yet).

Hm, yeah, the utility forum. Maybe you're right :)

@Flash1:
    For now, you have to place them yourself. I'm going to finish land and terrain type generation first, then starting locations, then rivers, then resources, I think. Might take a while :)

Next version almost ready for release btw. With plains, forests and jungles! :)

11. hajmyis

hajmyis Chieftain

it does not work....it wont installl...i have the lastest java and everything but still wont work

12. Visceral Monkey

Visceral Monkey Chieftain

I've actually got the same problem. Even went so far as to totally remove java, re-install it and re-install the program. Nothing. The shortcut in programs is just a blank square and nothing happens when I click on it. :(

13. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

Oh, that sucks. :(
    And if you open c:\program files\mapgenerator and double click on Mapgen.bat?
    Does that work?

If not, can you please tell me what windows version you have, in what language, and on what drive it is?

By the way, if your firewall or antispyware app comes up with something like the picture below, you should accept. it may be possible that your protection setting is very high, and that it blocks the script automatically. If it's not a directory name problem, I think this is the most likely cause.

Attached Files:

14. Gr3yHound

Gr3yHound Mr.MapView

awesome!!!!
    did you know your projet made me write my own little open gl application to view maps. I m JUST done with the display stuff.

A screenshot is attached

Attached Files:

15. hajmyis

hajmyis Chieftain

still dont work....i have xp-sp2 aand english

16. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

Nothing? What exactly happens when you run MapGen.bat? If you open a command prompt, then go to the MapGenerator directory and start MapGen.bat, it might print an error message that can give me a clue.

17. Alathan

Alathan Chieftain

Gr3yHound, that is awesome! Are you planning on releasing that here to the masses? And if so, any idea when? Also, if you haven't done so, can you make a toggle to switch between displaying the height map, terrain map, bonus map, etc? Even if not, that looks really cool so far. :goodjob:

Back on topic: great job so far Junuxx! I've built several worlds with this so far... it's a great way to get started on a world quickly. I look forward to seeing how this utility evolves.

18. Visceral Monkey

Visceral Monkey Chieftain

Same here. I currently have no firewall in place.

When I click the mapgen.bat file i get a quick dos box that pops up and then closes. So, I open dos from the start menu and run C:\Documents and Settings\me\Desktop\atlas\MapGen.bat and nothing happens, not even an error. If I run install.bat it re copies the files into the already created MapGenerator directory, but still, I cannot execute the file to start it.

19. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

Thanks for the useful information :)

I now strongly suspect it has to do with the path variable for java.
    You can add the path to your java directory to a certain collection so that other programs know where it's located.

Take a look at Sun's installation note, at point 5, to set it:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install-windows.html

I really hope this will solve the problem :)

20. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

I have just attached version 0.22 to the first post. The class files are now packed in an executable jar file. This should prevent the errors some were having from happening.