The Atlas Project

tbear2520 said:
If it doesn't work then just export everything, including unzipping the .jar file and from a command prompt change to the directory that the files are in and type

start /min java Atlas

Hit enter and it will launch. Note: You can put this in batch file in the directory where the app is located and then use a shortcut to launch the program.

Tbear2520

I know im a noob, but it just opens the directory "C:\windows\java" please help a bit more :)

Now I got another problem... it opens and closes a dospromt mentioning something with an error... or something about it cant find "atlas"... it was too fast for me to read :)

:EDIT:

tried running multiple instances and got this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: atlas

Dont know if this error is because I got Danish setup, not english?!?

Dont type: start /min java atlas... just use the shortcut that came with the map.... DOH!

toft said:

tried running multiple instances and got this error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: atlas

Dont know if this error is because I got Danish setup, not english?!?

Well the error listed above about the "Exception in thread" is what I get when I try to run a .jar file. The way to get that to work is to uncompress the .jar file into a directory and copy this MapGen.txt file into the same directory. Rename the file to MapGen.bat and launch the MapGen.bat file. Hope that helps :crazyeye:

toft said:

Dont type: start /min java atlas... just use the shortcut that came with the map.... DOH!

Already tried that, doesn't work for me. :(

Tbear2520

Attachments

• MapGen.txt
    32 bytes · Views: 156
Thanks a lot tbear, I really appreciate your useful feedback. You're critical, but in a good way ;)

1) Yeah, using all Civ's sizes sounds good. Currently the Default and the preset Big are Civ's Huge, and the preset Small is Civ's Small.

2) I tested playing a X/Y wrap and it seemed to work fine. Have you tried one yet?

3) Yep, it's a feature. Playing wacky worlds all the time didn't seem fun to me :)

4) Going to work on the terrain tonight!

5) Great you like it! I'll probably add some more options. Atolls, maybe.

6) I'd like to split them out but I'll have to make more room first... ;)

7) Pangaea should be in, I agree. But I have to redo the continent shaping first, otherwise "The Big Fat Round Blob" would be a better name. :D

8) Could you explain why rivers should be there before resources?

I think you're having problems running the program because WinRAR essentially seized the .jar extension. I think you can get around this by starting with the command "java -jar Atlas023.jar". Could you try if that works? I'll upload a temporary fix with an updated batch file and shortcut.

@toft:
Do I understand it correctly that you got it to work now? How do you like it? :)

Hello Junuxx

1) yea that new batch file with a short cut worked perfectly. Thanks :goodjob:

2) I am currently testing the X\Y wrap. I've noticed something but I must test it out to see if it's the map or Civ4. Of course some video stuff might be about some of the patches they are about to release. I'll post again with my find and details.

3) As for the thing about rivers before resources. Here is how I look at it. The resource for horses is more likely to be by a river\water source than not. While that detail is minor and can easly be tweaked. But also I think the spread of the land will be more life like. But in reality it doesn't matter much. Exspecially if in some way we can see the rivers on the minature map inside the generator(good luck). LOL I just see the resource dispersement as being more evenly and realisticly spread with the other things already being in place. Of course none of this or all of this could matter depending upon the code. If resources are generated on a basis of space between each resource rather than the lay of the land. So I guess it depends upon you and the code. Which way can you get it to work best. ;) For realism though I think that resources based on the lay of the land works best, with of course would also require some sort of calculation to determine even distribution. Which leads me to believe that this will probably be the toughest part to code. And in some aspects even distribution might not be desired. :crazyeye:

Thanks

TBear2520

Junuxx, OK, I have tested out the X\Y bit. Here's my findings. I almost hate to say this. The X (horizontal) works. Y (Vertical Doesn't). It's not your application though. It's CIV4 that doesn't like the Vertical wrap. Unless it's just my video card.

Scenario: I created a medium size map. With noted able land structure that could easily be identified crossing both the X\Y boundaries. Usually where the land crossed it at a given point where I could do my testing. So I started the game. Inserted tanks, bombers and a destroyer. On the horizontal (left-to-right) I had no problems crossing over. On the Vertical I had all kinds. The bomber couldn't even select the range to bomb. The whole south pole as it was was like the edge of a map. I could however move across it with both my tank and ship. But neither one left an uncovered area from a another unit's perspective. Then even centering and using my unit seamed almost as if I went into a secret area that I wasn't suppose to find or something along those lines. I never was able to see my tanks once they crossed. The destroyer though I could see and it would uncover on the big map but not on the main game field area. hehe

Looking at the maps that Civ4 ships with and the kind it can create. It seams only logical to ask if Y wrap should even be an option. You might just put a X wrap on or off.

My PC is a 3.4 Ghz Intel based processor with 1 Gig of memory and a NVIDIA Geforce 6800 Ultra with 256 megs of memory using PCIX. The monitor is a Dell2005FPW(20.5" Flat Panel Widescreen LCD 12ms responce time) Of course I also have two 160gig 10K RPM SATA drives in a RAID 1 array, and an external 80gig Western Digital Harddrive. So I don't feel it's my PC unless it's the video card because capitibility. It's possible I just haven't look into it, seeing how I haven't found an Civ4 map that shipped with game that has Y wrap.

TBear2520

Note: I think both X and Y should be able to wrap according to the BMP to WBS convertor manual. hmmm....

Junuxx said:
@toft:
Do I understand it correctly that you got it to work now? How do you like it? :)

Yeah I got it working... its good! Just hoped there would be some hills and mountains... can it really be that there is no mountains and hills?

Just saw your note about the hills n mountains... sorry :p

toft said:
Yeah I got it working... its good! Just hoped there would be some hills and mountains... can it really be that there is no mountains and hills?

Just saw your note about the hills n mountains... sorry :p

I added snow, tundra and tundra forests last night. I'll put a new version up for download as soon as hills and mountains are done as well

hi everyone

after i was "falling" over that thread yesterday, being fascinated of this idea i decided to sign in here. unfortunately i only can join these discussions without trying out by myself - since situated in austria using a german windows. so there is my question: will there be a "german" version. would be great

anyway i´ll follow this project and will also be here with ideas if wanted ...

hope the best :crazyeye:

Sindelar said:
hi everyone

after i was "falling" over that thread yesterday, being fascinated of this idea i decided to sign in here. unfortunately i only can join these discussions without trying out by myself - since situated in austria using a german windows. so there is my question: will there be a "german" version. would be great

anyway i´ll follow this project and will also be here with ideas if wanted ...

hope the best :crazyeye:

Hey Sindelar,

Your german windows is not a big problem for the program, only for the installer.

I'll add a readme to the download that explains how to install manually.

Tbear,

Yes, I had the same graphical glitches, although the blackness seemedd to disappeared when I moved and zoomed around a bit along the border.
I think it's the game's fault, and I also thnk it will get fixed because Sirian said somewhere that there are additional mapscripts - maybe to download later, maybe in expansion pack- some of which are with X/Y wrapping.

Changed plans, I released a new version although hills and mountains are not done yet. Hope you like it Sindelar ;)

@Portugal:
I fear it's not possible to make C3C maps this way. Those files are not plain text like Civ3 maps, but encoded.

hi Junuxx!

i think you´re doing some great job there. i was playing around a little bit, and it was very nice seeing your own world grow!

i´m looking forward to the next versions - and would like to help in any way you need - though i´m no programmer, i´m a quite good tester :cool:

so if there are themes like forrest locations or anything like that i might be some help

another qustion: did i understand it right that there will be mountains of different hights - and according to that different vegetation?

well thx anyway for your uploading the readme - wasn´t that difficult

I followed up to the install the bat file. When I go to open the generator through programs list, it just opens up more files that need to be unrared. After I unrar them, what should I do?

Hi again Junuxx

just wondering that i can´t see any options under misc. but there are some values there - is this a bug or a feature:eek:

anyway still trying out different settings makes addicted

Sindelar

@dreamcrusader:
Do you have Java installed? You shouldn't further unrar any files, the .jar file is the program.

@Sindelar:
What options do you see in misc? The misc tab is pretty empty for me..
That is, not in the version I'm working on. That's got checkboxes for 'show preview' and 'coastal start' on the misc tab.

Civ 4 implements hills (and forests) as a terrain feature rather than a terrain type. So there are grassland hills, plain hills, desert hills, etc. Makes it a bit more complicated... ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

Top Bottom