Discussion in 'Civ4 - Utility Programs' started by Junuxx, Nov 4, 2005.
I know im a noob, but it just opens the directory "C:\windows\java" please help a bit more
please disregard my post... i didnt have java installed
Now I got another problem... it opens and closes a dospromt mentioning something with an error... or something about it cant find "atlas"... it was too fast for me to read
tried running multiple instances and got this error:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: atlas
Dont know if this error is because I got Danish setup, not english?!?
Dont type: start /min java atlas... just use the shortcut that came with the map.... DOH!
Well the error listed above about the "Exception in thread" is what I get when I try to run a .jar file. The way to get that to work is to uncompress the .jar file into a directory and copy this MapGen.txt file into the same directory. Rename the file to MapGen.bat and launch the MapGen.bat file. Hope that helps
Already tried that, doesn't work for me.
Thanks a lot tbear, I really appreciate your useful feedback. You're critical, but in a good way
1) Yeah, using all Civ's sizes sounds good. Currently the Default and the preset Big are Civ's Huge, and the preset Small is Civ's Small.
2) I tested playing a X/Y wrap and it seemed to work fine. Have you tried one yet?
3) Yep, it's a feature. Playing wacky worlds all the time didn't seem fun to me
4) Going to work on the terrain tonight!
5) Great you like it! I'll probably add some more options. Atolls, maybe.
6) I'd like to split them out but I'll have to make more room first...
7) Pangaea should be in, I agree. But I have to redo the continent shaping first, otherwise "The Big Fat Round Blob" would be a better name.
8) Could you explain why rivers should be there before resources?
I think you're having problems running the program because WinRAR essentially seized the .jar extension. I think you can get around this by starting with the command "java -jar Atlas023.jar". Could you try if that works? I'll upload a temporary fix with an updated batch file and shortcut.
Do I understand it correctly that you got it to work now? How do you like it?
1) yea that new batch file with a short cut worked perfectly. Thanks
2) I am currently testing the X\Y wrap. I've noticed something but I must test it out to see if it's the map or Civ4. Of course some video stuff might be about some of the patches they are about to release. I'll post again with my find and details.
3) As for the thing about rivers before resources. Here is how I look at it. The resource for horses is more likely to be by a river\water source than not. While that detail is minor and can easly be tweaked. But also I think the spread of the land will be more life like. But in reality it doesn't matter much. Exspecially if in some way we can see the rivers on the minature map inside the generator(good luck). LOL I just see the resource dispersement as being more evenly and realisticly spread with the other things already being in place. Of course none of this or all of this could matter depending upon the code. If resources are generated on a basis of space between each resource rather than the lay of the land. So I guess it depends upon you and the code. Which way can you get it to work best. For realism though I think that resources based on the lay of the land works best, with of course would also require some sort of calculation to determine even distribution. Which leads me to believe that this will probably be the toughest part to code. And in some aspects even distribution might not be desired.
Junuxx, OK, I have tested out the X\Y bit. Here's my findings. I almost hate to say this. The X (horizontal) works. Y (Vertical Doesn't). It's not your application though. It's CIV4 that doesn't like the Vertical wrap. Unless it's just my video card.
Scenario: I created a medium size map. With noted able land structure that could easily be identified crossing both the X\Y boundaries. Usually where the land crossed it at a given point where I could do my testing. So I started the game. Inserted tanks, bombers and a destroyer. On the horizontal (left-to-right) I had no problems crossing over. On the Vertical I had all kinds. The bomber couldn't even select the range to bomb. The whole south pole as it was was like the edge of a map. I could however move across it with both my tank and ship. But neither one left an uncovered area from a another unit's perspective. Then even centering and using my unit seamed almost as if I went into a secret area that I wasn't suppose to find or something along those lines. I never was able to see my tanks once they crossed. The destroyer though I could see and it would uncover on the big map but not on the main game field area. hehe
Looking at the maps that Civ4 ships with and the kind it can create. It seams only logical to ask if Y wrap should even be an option. You might just put a X wrap on or off.
My PC is a 3.4 Ghz Intel based processor with 1 Gig of memory and a NVIDIA Geforce 6800 Ultra with 256 megs of memory using PCIX. The monitor is a Dell2005FPW(20.5" Flat Panel Widescreen LCD 12ms responce time) Of course I also have two 160gig 10K RPM SATA drives in a RAID 1 array, and an external 80gig Western Digital Harddrive. So I don't feel it's my PC unless it's the video card because capitibility. It's possible I just haven't look into it, seeing how I haven't found an Civ4 map that shipped with game that has Y wrap.
Note: I think both X and Y should be able to wrap according to the BMP to WBS convertor manual. hmmm....
Yeah I got it working... its good! Just hoped there would be some hills and mountains... can it really be that there is no mountains and hills?
Just saw your note about the hills n mountains... sorry
I added snow, tundra and tundra forests last night. I'll put a new version up for download as soon as hills and mountains are done as well
after i was "falling" over that thread yesterday, being fascinated of this idea i decided to sign in here. unfortunately i only can join these discussions without trying out by myself - since situated in austria using a german windows. so there is my question: will there be a "german" version. would be great
anyway i´ll follow this project and will also be here with ideas if wanted ...
hope the best
Your german windows is not a big problem for the program, only for the installer.
I'll add a readme to the download that explains how to install manually.
wow that would be great
thx for your quick reply
Yes, I had the same graphical glitches, although the blackness seemedd to disappeared when I moved and zoomed around a bit along the border.
I think it's the game's fault, and I also thnk it will get fixed because Sirian said somewhere that there are additional mapscripts - maybe to download later, maybe in expansion pack- some of which are with X/Y wrapping.
Oh this is very nice! Would this be able to work on lets say... C3C?
Changed plans, I released a new version although hills and mountains are not done yet. Hope you like it Sindelar
I fear it's not possible to make C3C maps this way. Those files are not plain text like Civ3 maps, but encoded.
well i´ll immediately have a look on it ..
thx for now!
i think you´re doing some great job there. i was playing around a little bit, and it was very nice seeing your own world grow!
i´m looking forward to the next versions - and would like to help in any way you need - though i´m no programmer, i´m a quite good tester
so if there are themes like forrest locations or anything like that i might be some help
another qustion: did i understand it right that there will be mountains of different hights - and according to that different vegetation?
well thx anyway for your uploading the readme - wasn´t that difficult
I followed up to the install the bat file. When I go to open the generator through programs list, it just opens up more files that need to be unrared. After I unrar them, what should I do?
Hi again Junuxx
just wondering that i can´t see any options under misc. but there are some values there - is this a bug or a feature
anyway still trying out different settings makes addicted
Do you have Java installed? You shouldn't further unrar any files, the .jar file is the program.
What options do you see in misc? The misc tab is pretty empty for me..
That is, not in the version I'm working on. That's got checkboxes for 'show preview' and 'coastal start' on the misc tab.
Civ 4 implements hills (and forests) as a terrain feature rather than a terrain type. So there are grassland hills, plain hills, desert hills, etc. Makes it a bit more complicated...
Thanks for the feedback!
Separate names with a comma.