The big conclusions thread

Magnetron01

Chieftain
Hello everybody,

I have been playing Civ for a long time and I felt the need to review the new aspects of Civ 5

After playing civ 5 on a few maps in different era's with various civilizations I have come to a few conclusions of my own. The punchline is that civ 5 has a lot of potential, though at this stage it is a stripped game with a few great game-play improvements but without the depth of previous Civ games. Lacking many variables that made civ 4 'fun'.

Great aspects:king:

Combat

Combat has greatly improved, the hexes make all actions more fair and tactical. Besides the hexes 1upt is the best and most logical step in CIV yet.

Ranged units

Although ranged units in CIV don't look very realistic shooting arrows *that* far, it helps creating a more in-depth combat system where actual tactics are needed instead of just building as many units as possible stacking.

City defense

The city defense seems to be more orientated on the battlefield itself rather than endlessly defending a city with numerous units. All in all this seems to be a logical choice along the 1upt construction.

Roads

Roads are now used as trade routes and means of transportation between cities, instead of a simple cheap tile upgrade to make transportation less lengthy .. EVERYWHERE. Thus reducing 'spaghetti' road spam and silly animation flaws. 1 gold per road tile seems to be a good upkeep price

Click-able news buttons

Easily overlooked but very important are the news items that pass by at the right side of the screen every round. A simple feature that makes doing your 'tasks' a bit more easy.

Embarking

Great for water oriented maps no more building useless galleys, which you wouldn't be using much only for the sole purpose of transporting, in the early game just to get a few unit across. Less time wasted on having to build ships when you could be building something else.

Unit resource upkeep

A smart decision to make units more valuable, this walks in line with the rest of the concept. No more spam.

Tactical screen
For me the tactical screen is pretty good. Easy to use, simple, effective. No more words needed.

Looks of the UI and diplomatic screen

Some graphical features are really good, especially the diplomatic cinema and I dig the style of the UI, it seems polished.

Not so great aspects:rolleyes:

Social policies

Somehow there seems to be a trend in games in which things need to be 'upgraded'. This is seen in many titles where you can buy/add/win perks/upgrades/etc. to simply improve something. This construction is a bit blend for a civ game. Besides totally missing the realism aspect, the upgrades don't have any downsides whatsoever thus never forcing a player to make real choices. Since whatever you do, it will be good. Or whatever you do will be a bit better than good. But never will it be a bad choice, or never will it be a choice truly defining your civ. This concludes in many civilizations feeling and being the same with only their unique abilities to differentiate them as every civilization will end up with the same social policies with only a few minor choices. Where is the distance to capital punishment for instance? The policies don't effect the cost of placement of your cities at all. Even the civics in Civ 4 had more dept.

No more cultural powers

Since culture has less effect on your border and won't influence the citizens of the rival state culture has been made somewhat absolete and has actually been changed to a form of currency. With that currency you can buy upgrades. But I wonder, aren't the techs the upgrades that the game should have focused on and the policies the nuances of the thing you would have discovered? Now it just seems to be another resource like gold to just simply buy things with the only downside that you cant buy everything at once. (which isn't a real problem since you can't buy anything negative or bad)

City states vs religion

City states are more boring than religion. There is no logical reason why they removed religion and introduced city states. It would've been better to have both aspects in-game. The execution of city-states at this point isn't flawless. Not only is there no real difference between the various city states aside from the city name. They can be 'bought' pretty easily, helping you win the game without ever having to deal with other civs. The assignments/missions they present to you are not very spectacular and usually not worth your time. Kill barb. camp x, we don't like city-state y which basically sums up the interaction with city-states. Keeping relationships good with the states is a dreadful process and it stimulates late-game city-state interaction. To be honest, vassal states were more fun to have in civ 4 then dealing with city-states.

Missing practical and tactical info

I can not seem to find out how long it will take for a tile improvement to finish when workers are already constructing it.

There is no way knowing what techs the opponent has aside from the units and the wonders etc. not the biggest problem but it was nicer to know how well you were doing tech-wise without having to study the enemy closely.

The hover over a tile with a worker to see what i can improve on a tile with the right mouse button seems missing. I have no way of knowing what a worker can improve on a tile he isn't standing on??

When hover over a city with a mouse gives you no basic info, a small detail but a missing feature.

There is really no way of knowing what the opponent is 'thinking', since you - cant see the pros and cons anymore they feel towards you. Plus you cant ask them how they feel about other civs?

The bad :nuke:

No techno-trading

I don't really get why this was removed? It made diplomacy more interesting since you had something to bargain with. At least they should have made techno-trading optional. Techno-brokering was a bad thing in Civ 4, but it would've been fun to see this as an option at least.

Rivers and roads graphics

This really needs no comment.

No scenario's?

The menu's ingame only consist of Single player / multiplayer / mods. But when you choose for singeplayer you can only choose play now and set up a game.. there are no scenario's like in previous civs.. which make the game feel even more unfinished..!!

Graphical glitches

There seem to be numerous graphic glitches in the game. Didn't they properly beta test this??

The combat AI

The AI will never be able to be as good as a human of course, but this really shows now when it comes to tactical battles they don't understand the concept of choke points and don't calculate losses as you can easily use units as bait to lure the AI out.

Civ wide happiness and no more health

Some may like it but I don't think its a good thing. It's adding to the dumbing down and the lessening of variables in the game. It really doesn't matter anymore where you place yours city aside from the potential growth and resources aspect. There are no more 'bad' factors which can make a city fail. With the civ wide happiness it doesn't really matter if a few cities are placed in crappy spots, you won't get punished for it any longer, making the game easier to manage. The same goes for removing health, go place your city in rough terrain, go built factory's, it doesn't matter anymore.. thus dumbing it down.

Slow production, slow production, slow expansion

The production of buildings/units and thus cities feels really slow compared to previous games. Which will leave you with less things to do in the first half of the game. Having to press next round continuously, even more times than in civ 4 just to see some progress is silly. I don't understand why they did make marathon speed slower but also reduced your ability to build more stuff in the beginning of the game at the same time resulting in slower game-play. I would like to build a big empire in the classical era for instance, but this can't be done, not even at marathon speed..

Surely I'll be missing some points and maybe I have overlooked some aspects or miss-interpreted some but since I am not completely done playing and I haven't played any MP yet here is my conclusion for now.

Conclusion for now

Civ 5 is a stripped game. Which didn't have to be a bad thing. As Civ 4 was a stripped game compared to Civ 3 + exp. But the problem is the lack of depth and variables that made civ 4 fun are missing in civ 5. There is a great basis but it lacks the details and some of the fun-factor. In my views Civ 4 minus the stack of doom minus espionage + this combat system + tweaked city states + civ 5 graphics would've made a better Civ 5 than it now is. Hopefully the modding community will repair this hurt game.

Thanks. Must have taken you a while to write that out. I get my game on Friday and I'm half wondering if I'll really enjoy it now after reading all the feedback on these forums.

Thanks. Must have taken you a while to write that out. I get my game on Friday and I'm half wondering if I'll really enjoy it now after reading all the feedback on these forums.

Best is to just play it without reading anything (good or bad). Decide for yourself, and don't let others' feelings taint yours.

It WAS a nice write up though, thanks. It's nice to see the few people that have REASONING behind their love/hate for the game.

I'll get mine on Friday too. I think that we'll still enjoy the game. It's hard to come from civ 4 to civ 5 as it was from civ 3 to civ 4.

Good post, reasonable assessments on all points. Time will tell if these concerns are addressed.

I'm loving it, and if the opinions of the people in Dreddit (EVE related community) are any indication of the overall population you'll probably love it too. Don't worry too much about the currently vocal minority.

They definitely decided early on that they were going to take a lot of the micro-managing out of the game. It makes no sense -- micro managing an empire is what Civilization has always been about.

I agree that there's too much clicking on the Next Turn button with little action in between. You are spot on about there not being a lot of tough choices in Civ5. It makes for boring gameplay that doesn't require a lot of thought.

Besides totally missing the realism aspect, the upgrades don't have any downsides whatsoever thus never forcing a player to make real choices. Since whatever you do, it will be good. Or whatever you do will be a bit better than good. But never will it be a bad choice, or never will it be a choice truly defining your civ. This concludes in many civilizations feeling and being the same with only their unique abilities to differentiate them as every civilization will end up with the same social policies with only a few minor choices.

Very nicely said. This was one of the things I was thinking of when I talked about needing to add depth or meat to Civ5. When there are no consequences of decision making, then such decisions become meaningless.

They definitely decided early on that they were going to take a lot of the micro-managing out of the game. It makes no sense -- micro managing an empire is what Civilization has always been about.

I agree that there's too much clicking on the Next Turn button with little action in between. You are spot on about there not being a lot of tough choices in Civ5. It makes for boring gameplay that doesn't require a lot of thought.

The best tough choices in Civ i have seen to date are the choices in the Rise of Mankind mod for civ 4.. man how I wish this game was a lot more like that..

I can not seem to find out how long it will take for a tile improvement to finish when workers are already constructing it.

Granted you should be able to just hover over the work to find out, but if you click on the worker it will show you how many turns left in the lower right.

When hover over a city with a mouse gives you no basic info, a small detail but a missing feature.

What are you looking for? There is some good info on the city bar like turns to complete item and turns to growth.

There is really no way of knowing what the opponent is 'thinking', since you - cant see the pros and cons anymore they feel towards you. Plus you cant ask them how they feel about other civs?

This point is actually one of the things that really bother me about the game. My understanding is that the creators wanted to make diplo more subtle so that you gauge attitudes from their actions. There is some of that by the way as the AI will tell you when they are worried about someone. However, it is tough to adjust to this when we had so much information before. I'm sure they will change some of this eventually.

Here is my views.

Civ V is in the very early stages (no expansions packs)

Just like Civ IV (before the expansions)

Civ IV just got better with each expansion pack Warlords - BTS

I am 100% sure that as somebody mentioned with each expansion pack/DLC Civ V can only get better.

BTW there are two mods which may interest you.

Legions - Removes 1UPT restriction

Celtic leader Mods.

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/ent...e-Hub-by-Civ-Fans-and-how-to-get-them-to-work

I will be sticking with CIV V, it can only get better I am sure.

Granted you should be able to just hover over the work to find out, but if you click on the worker it will show you how many turns left in the lower right.

What are you looking for? There is some good info on the city bar like turns to complete item and turns to growth.

This point is actually one of the things that really bother me about the game. My understanding is that the creators wanted to make diplo more subtle so that you gauge attitudes from their actions. There is some of that by the way as the AI will tell you when they are worried about someone. However, it is tough to adjust to this when we had so much information before. I'm sure they will change some of this eventually.

Thanks for the worker info, but it should show on hoover over.

Basic info would be nice like in Civ4.. but come to think of it.. there isn't much to show since most useful info that you needed in civ4 was stripped.

I know their intention was to make diplomacy more 'mysterious/subtle'. I can live without the + and - indicators. But I do miss the 'what do you think of' option, some declarations of war now seem just very random to me.

Its a stripped down version of Civ IV. Though I have the hope of expansions and mods, I still think its a lame excuse. Civilization 4 on its own was a fun game to play. This Civ V is way to simple and easy to manipulate.

Its a stripped down version of Civ IV. Though I have the hope of expansions and mods, I still think its a lame excuse. Civilization 4 on its own was a fun game to play. This Civ V is way to simple and easy to manipulate.

I don't understand that the dev team could be pleased with this release while it feels so unfinished and the standard was set pretty high by Civ 4..

Thanks for the worker info, but it should show on hoover over.

I think it's there in Civ5...you just have to hover over the tile (ie, the unit graphic), not the 'unit banner'. It took a while to figure this one out too... :)

I think it's there in Civ5...you just have to hover over the tile (ie, the unit graphic), not the 'unit banner'. It took a while to figure this one out too... :)

Ha I just did it.. you have to stand it for quite a while to have it show up. I almost doubted your comment because of this haha.

Here is my views.

Civ V is in the very early stages (no expansions packs)

Just like Civ IV (before the expansions)

Civ IV just got better with each expansion pack Warlords - BTS

I am 100% sure that as somebody mentioned with each expansion pack/DLC Civ V can only get better.

BTW there are two mods which may interest you.

Legions - Removes 1UPT restriction

Celtic leader Mods.

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/ent...e-Hub-by-Civ-Fans-and-how-to-get-them-to-work

I will be sticking with CIV V, it can only get better I am sure.

I want to be fair and note that 'better' is a subjective term. The player base currently has differing opinions on the quality of 4 vs. 5. Real objective data is still forthcoming as many of our employed/married/busy comrades still won't open the game for a couple of days yet, and those that have opened it may still be holed up in their time-release bunkers for an undetermined amount of time.

As for "It will get better with each expansion," I beg to differ. I played Vanilla Civ4 and fell in love (or at least as much love as a man can have for a game). I played the Warlords exp and was so turned off after bashing my head against it several times, that I went back to Vanilla. Some things about it were good, but every person has different tastes and the addition of certain new controls and what I perceived to be game-breaking mechanics turned me off. I tried out BtS, bought Colonization, but I have experienced neither to a sufficient extent that I can form a balanced and significant argument about either.

What I like about this review is that the OP notes both the good and the bad in a rational fashion without positing themselves as an expert. They tell us where they are coming from and we get a sense of where we can relate to their opinion and where we might not. The review may be a pan, but it's not a frying pan to the head. The review may applaud certain features, but it's not a cacophonous vuvuzela.

It's reviews like these that give those who have and haven't played an example to follow as to how to both read and write reviews. I almost always check with Ebert AFTER watching a movie and while he and I may have different tastes, it's not because we consume fundamentally different products but it is because we are fundamentally unique and different people. It's only fair to review a product both as a pretentious elitist but also to appeal to the sensibilities of the unwashed philistine.

I don't understand that the dev team could be pleased with this release while it feels so unfinished and the standard was set pretty high by Civ 4..

This seem to be the MO for games these days and I would wager it comes from higher than the development teams. But the idea seems to be to create a full game/system/whatever and then chop parts out to sell later.

By contrast, the 'old' way seems to have been to create the best game that you could within the time and resource constraints and then add additional things based on what players wanted or based on ideas that couldnt make it into the initial release due the above limits.

It's a subtle, but pretty real difference in the way games are produced/released these days. And a lot of it can be 'blamed on' the new methods of DLC and micro-transactions.

Top Bottom