[GS] The Black Death -scenario

Haig

Deity
I loved Into the Renaissance -scenario in Civ V and I hope the upcoming Black Plague scenario is something like that.

I wonder about the map, I wonder is it Europe only, or could for example Mali or Ottoman empire feature in it?

The scenario description mentions faith as well so I hope it combines warfare, plague and religion.

I doubt it would feature Mali; probably it will focus more on European nations. I'm hoping we get a sneak peek at the scenarios at some point after the first looks are all done though.

It should be Europe, North Africa and the Middle East at least. I'm curious how far east they go, but Persia should be in there for sure. I hope for parts of Mongolia to be in there as well. Western China, the source of the Black Death, doesn't need to appear though in my opinion.

I wish something like this would not only happen in a scenario - CK2 games certainly are more interesting since the introduction of large scale plagues in the Reaper's Due DLC, as it can shake up a game to quite some extent (even if regional outbreaks of other diseases aren't that interesting and repetitive).

Last edited:
Wait there are announced official scenario for GS already? Or is this a mod?
If official then is there only one so far? Or more confirmed?
I'm really excited because I love Civ5 scenarios (honestly Civ5 might be better at scenario than base game sometimes XD).

I'm really excited because I love Civ5 scenarios (honestly Civ5 might be better at scenario than base game sometimes XD).
GS comes with two scenarios.
Here's the official announcement wording:
  • NEW SCENARIOS:
    • The Black Death: The Black Death ravaged Europe and western Asia in the mid-14thcentury, killing a greater share of the population than any other event in world history. The pandemic killed millions, ruined economies, upended political dynasties and transformed the face of the Western world. Your task is to lead your nation through the calamity: keep your population alive, your economy strong, and your faith unshaken amidst a world of terror and desperation.
    • War Machine: At the outset of WWI, the German Imperial Army had a daring plan: invade neutral Belgium and then rush the French heartland before they could mobilize to resist. If successful, the German forces would capture Paris within a month and end their resistance forever. In counter, the French command prepared Plan 17, an all-out onslaught designed to meet and stop a German offensive. When war was declared, both armies swung into motion and set up one of the most incredible and shocking military campaigns in world history. In this scenario, players take the side of one of these two great powers at this same precipice. As Germany, your task is to capture Paris. As France, your task is to prevent its capture. The clock is ticking, and the enemy is moving. Advance!

Yes, there are 2 confirmed scenarios that will come with Gathering Storm that are detailed on the Gathering Storm official page:

NEW SCENARIOS:
  • The Black Death: The Black Death ravaged Europe and western Asia in the mid-14thcentury, killing a greater share of the population than any other event in world history. The pandemic killed millions, ruined economies, upended political dynasties and transformed the face of the Western world. Your task is to lead your nation through the calamity: keep your population alive, your economy strong, and your faith unshaken amidst a world of terror and desperation.
  • War Machine: At the outset of WWI, the German Imperial Army had a daring plan: invade neutral Belgium and then rush the French heartland before they could mobilize to resist. If successful, the German forces would capture Paris within a month and end their resistance forever. In counter, the French command prepared Plan 17, an all-out onslaught designed to meet and stop a German offensive. When war was declared, both armies swung into motion and set up one of the most incredible and shocking military campaigns in world history. In this scenario, players take the side of one of these two great powers at this same precipice. As Germany, your task is to capture Paris. As France, your task is to prevent its capture. The clock is ticking, and the enemy is moving. Advance!

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-skin civs, it's likely that it could very well include Arabia/Saladin with reskinned Mansa Musa as a leader of Morocco or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if they re-skin civs, it's likely that it could very well include Arabia/Saladin with reskinned Mansa Musa as a leader of Morocco or something.
They'd just go with flags i guess as that's how dlc scenarios have been.

They'd just go with flags i guess as that's how dlc scenarios have been.
The Vikings scenario has wooden statues, I'd hope they go with something more elaborated than flags again. As long as the statue of Wilhelm II finds a good pose for his left hand...

I'm actually really excited about the two scenarios. The Black Death sounds great . . . wish they had included it in the base game. And the combat system in Civ VI should really suit a WWI scenario. And finally a reason to use forts!!

Top Bottom