"The Cambridge Illuminations ~ Ten centuries of book production in the medieval west"

Rambuchan

The Funky President
I've been getting my teeth into the splendours that Cambridge has to offer since moving (t)here recently. I used to study (t)here, but that was 10 years ago now and much of the town has changed. One place that hasn't is the immortal Fitzwilliam Museum.

I went there to see an exhibition entitled "The Cambridge Illuminations ~ Ten centuries of book production in the medieval west". It still has almost a month to run, so if you get to Cambridge - catch it! (and give me a PM, I'd love an excuse to go again).

Anyway, I thought I would share with you all some wonderful highlights from the booklet I picked up. This is also as a design and info reference point for certain folk I am developing a medieval fantasies scenario, which I hope will bring much of this fine work to your civ games.

Without further ado, the title page, an intro and some notes on the making of 'Illuminated Manuscripts' - the first real books, as we know them today, to exist in Europe. Enjoy! :)

[Any modding artists who want big, clean, detailed versions of these pics need only PM me]

Intro

And here are some notes on the more secular texts which were produced throughout Europe in the Middle Ages, hardly the Dark Age we get put before us usually!

This is the section of particular note to those I'm discussing this scenario with, especially the second section of text.

And here are their contacts details to look up more:

If those scans are not too good do please let me know. I've tried to strike a balance but some pics will no doubt be too small. I can lay out some unresized versions if folk want.

Oh and anyone who has seen the outstanding "Monty Python's Holy Grail" will recognise where they got all the delightful and mischievous designs for those animation sequences :D.

I leafed through a priceless exact replica of the Irish "Book of Kells", composed by monks. It's basically the Gospel of John IIRC. The celtic designs were amazing, to say the least. The images were really quite something, and incorporated motifs I never would have suspected. I had to wear gloves and had a nazi librarian watching me the whole time :p

:eek: Where? When? Who? How?

EDIT: In a way, I was actually quite frustrated in this exhibition. Although there were all the wonderful things outlined in the posts above, I knew that there were some very important and outlandish maps in pages of these books which I couldn't turn to. :mad:

At my university. I had to get express permission from my Professor, because the book (which is an exact replica) was literally worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. It was quite something to experience though.

I agree though, seeing those books in a glass case would just be frustrating. The Book of Kells had some really amazing motifs that I did not expect at all. I remember thinking they almost looked like they came from the Near East or something. It was pretty wild.

Aye, the graphic design these guys came up with knocks the socks off the material we put out on paper (2d stuff). It's late now, so I'm off to bed soon. But let me know if there was a particular part of the exhibition or topic that you're interested in and I'll try and get down and write more about it, if I can't do it already.

Excellent stuff!

They have a wonderful permanent exhibition at the British Library of illuminated manuscripts from throughout the world - not only medieval Christian texts but a lot of Muslim and Hindu ones as well. The exhibition showcases many important texts, not just illuminated ones, so they're sitting next to first edition Shakespeares, the Magna Carta, and Jane Austen's autographs... Pride of place of course goes to the Lindisfarne Gospels, but they also have the Codex Sinaiticus, the oldest known complete copy of the New Testament (and therefore one of the oldest codices, that is, "books" as opposed to scrolls, in existence). From an illumination point of view, of particular interest (at least to me) is a version of Beatus of Liebana's commentary on Revelation, which was one of the most popular texts for illumination throughout the Middle Ages. I'm sure you can guess why.

I've sometimes wondered how one goes about looking at these things in closer detail. The oldest book I've ordered in the British Library was from the middle of the seventeenth century, I think, and there certainly wasn't anyone watching me or a need for gloves! Most disappointing. Presumably there are a few more formalities to go through before they'll let you get your hands on the Lindisfarne Gospels. I once came very close to ordering up the Lacnunga and I might even give it a go when I'm back there in December...

Slight thread jack this, but if anyone wants any images from the Book of Kells I have a complete digital copy, just PM me if interested.

EDIT: Sorry! Offer expired!

Asclepius said:
Slight thread jack this, but if anyone wants any images from the Book of Kells I have a complete digital copy, just PM me if interested.

I'd love to see them again... we should start a Book of Kells thread :D

What with all of this thread jacking I think I should at least thank Ram' for posting this thread in the first place. Nice summary with some great images, you have put together some really interesting threads around here :goodjob:

Visited the exhibition with Rambuchan yesterday, and it was well worth going! The apocalyptical illustrations were incredibly strange, with many-headed creatures with hideoulsy grinning faces spitting blood. The seven-headed dragons looked a lot like Chinese or Tibetan illustrations of dragons, which surprised me.
Some of the stuff was also outright hilarious, like men with faces on their bums or donkey-birds, or a hare and a dog jousting. Funnily enough these illustrations lined the margins of Bible texts.
Many of the illustrations were incredibly intricate and must have taken a very long time to produce. Some of the figures even looked somewhat realistic, whilst others resembled modern comics in an uncanny fashion.

Glad you liked it Ciceronian. Thanks for coming along. :)

It should be mentioned that the exhibition is FREE.

I had a big post drafted for this thread comparing these books with their contemporaries around the world. I lost the whole damn thing when my browser crashed. But you can expect to see and read about the following sometime soon (or just go off and do a search yourself). Here is some of it put together:

Persia:

Firdozi's "Shahnama" (The Book of Kings) ~ c. 1000AD

The Shahnama شاهنامه (The Book of Kings or The Epic of Kings, also written Shahnameh and called by Ibn al-Athir the "Persian Quran"), was written by Ferdowsi around 1000 AD, is the national epic of Iran (Persia) and a classic of world literature. It is based mainly on an earlier prose version which itself was a compilation of old Iranian stories and historical facts and fables. The language used in composing the Shahnama is pure Persian with very few Arabic loanwords used.

The Shahnama of Ferdowsi, an epic poem of over 60,000 couplets, is based mainly on a prose work of the same name compiled in the poet's earlier life in his native Tus. This prose Shahnama was in turn and for the most part the translation of a Pahlavi work, a compilation of the history of the kings and heroes of Iran from mythical times down to the reign of Khosrau II (590-628 A.D.), but it also contains additional material continuing the story to the overthrow of the Sassanids by the Arabs in the middle of the 7th century A.D. The first to undertake the versification of this chronicle of pre-Islamic and legendary Persia was Daqiqi, a poet at the court of the Samanids, who came to a violent end after completing only 1000 verses. These verses, which deal with the rise of the prophet Zoroaster, were afterward incorporated by Ferdowsi, with due acknowledgements, in his own poem.

After Ferdowsi's Shahnama, a number of other works similar in nature surfaced over the centuries within the cultural sphere of the Persian language. Without exception, all such works were based in style and method on Ferdowsi's Shahnama, but none of them could quite achieve the same degree of fame and popularity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shahnama

China:

Wu Cheng En's "Monkey" ~ (1510-1582)

I don't know what copies of this looked like when it 'hit the shelves' but it rocked the boat somewhat.
Wu Cheng'en (1510-1582) of the Ming Dynasty was author of the 100-chapter novel based on the Tang Monk Xuanzang's journey. He imbued it with the colorful, fantastic adventures of Sun Wukong, a monkey that springs into existence out of one stray stone of many earmarked by Goddess Nuwa to patch a hole in the heavens. Born from a stone that is the essence of Heaven and Earth rather than of a mother and father, Sun Wukong is unbound by the fetters of temporal human relationships. Neither impressed not intimidated by order, ritual or hierarchy, he causes havoc in Heaven, the Dragon King's Palace, and Hell. His refusal to collude with evil forces makes him a hero and embodiment of righteousness in the eyes of the Chinese people.

India:

Goswami Tulasi Das "Ramacharitamanasa" or "Tulasi Ramayana" (1547)

EDIT 1: A helful way of saying these long Indian words is to recognise that they are often three words put together in classically annoying Sanskrit style. So "Ramacharitamanasa" breaks down to 'Rama' (he's the main character), 'Charita' (don't know what this is) and 'Manas' (story / law / message / history).

EDIT 2: This was originally written / composed in Telugu - a southern Indian language.

This was sung, performed in theatre and also appeared in book form. It is a reworking, of a Vedic classic telling of the heroic Rama conquering the evil demon Lanka, hooking up with Hanuman (the monkey god) in order to do so. It is also a book about love more than anything. For Rama does this all on behalf of Sita. Together these two are held to be the ideal couple in Hindu tradition.

I hope to find some pictures of it. I'm sure there were some lavish copies made.
'Tulasi Ramayana' is a very famous and great epic of North India. It relates the story of Sri Rama.

It was written by Goswami Tulasidas. (Goswami means one who has renounced the world and has become a sanyasi, that is, an ascetic.) That is why it was popularly known as Tulasi Ramayana.

Tulasidas gave it the title, 'Ramacharitamanasa'.

Valmiki, the first poet, told the story of Sri Rama in his 'Ramayana'; after him hundreds of poets have retold it in their own way. 'Tulasi Ramayana' is one of the most popular and venerated Ramayanas.

Many poets of our country were saints. They were great scholars as well as great devotees. They lived as rishis. Goswami Tulasidas too was a great scholar well versed in Vedic lore, philosophy and mythology. People say that Tulasidas, by virtue of his perfect devotion, was so fortunate as to meet Anjaneya, the renowned servant of Sri Rama. It is said Anjaneya helped him to see with his own eyes Sri Rama and Lakshmana. Tulasidas declared: 'Bhakti is the only way leading to God's grace. Sri Rama is the Supreme God (Parabrahma). He is the ideal man. And he is the Lord of this world. His words and deeds themselves form the code of human conduct in this world.'

In his 'Ramayana' Tulasidas has narrated the story of Sri Rama; he has also taught the principles of right living through different characters. The lessons taught in that work are valid to this day.

Lame site but fair and concise intro.
http://www.freeindia.org/biographies/greatpoets/tulasidas/
And you cane read about his life here, a very long one at that!! He was born about 1487 and lived upto 1623. He lived for 136 years. : http://www.dharmakshetra.com/sages/Saints/tulasi das goswami.html

For anyone living within reach of New York City - There is currently a FREE exhibition of Illuminated Manuscripts on at the Public Library. Check it out!!!!!

Rambuchan said:
Glad you liked it Ciceronian. Thanks for coming along. :)

It should be mentioned that the exhibition is FREE.

I had a big post drafted for this thread comparing these books with their contemporaries around the world. I lost the whole damn thing when my browser crashed. But you can expect to see and read about the following sometime soon (or just go off and do a search yourself). Here is some of it put together:

Persia:

Firdozi's "Shahnama" (The Book of Kings) ~ c. 1000AD

China:

Wu Cheng En's "Monkey" ~ (1510-1582)

I don't know what copies of this looked like when it 'hit the shelves' but it rocked the boat somewhat.

India:

Goswami Tulasi Das "Ramacharitamanasa" or "Tulasi Ramayana" (1547)

EDIT 1: A helful way of saying these long Indian words is to recognise that they are often three words put together in classically annoying Sanskrit style. So "Ramacharitamanasa" breaks down to 'Rama' (he's the main character), 'Charita' (don't know what this is) and 'Manas' (story / law / message / history).

EDIT 2: This was originally written / composed in Telugu - a southern Indian language.

This was sung, performed in theatre and also appeared in book form. It is a reworking, of a Vedic classic telling of the heroic Rama conquering the evil demon Lanka, hooking up with Hanuman (the monkey god) in order to do so. It is also a book about love more than anything. For Rama does this all on behalf of Sita. Together these two are held to be the ideal couple in Hindu tradition.

I hope to find some pictures of it. I'm sure there were some lavish copies made.
And you cane read about his life here, a very long one at that!! He was born about 1487 and lived upto 1623. He lived for 136 years. : http://www.dharmakshetra.com/sages/Saints/tulasi das goswami.html

Awesome stuff!:goodjob: U must feel privledge to be living in an area that is rich of such materials,man i wish i had free access to these things.I would bury myself in these things and never ask for a life perserver.

Yes I do feel privileged CartesianFart (although I can only ever make it to these places on weekends and evenings). But there are others in an equally lucky position. I never made it to the parallel exhibition at the New York Public Library but that place is full of such wonders also. I am sure there are many others around the world. Check it out:

Here is the NYPL Digital Library link.

With the following relevant notables within it:

Illuminated Hebrew Manuscripts & Medieval and Renaissance Illuminated Manuscripts from Western Europe

EDIT: Simply click 'Collection Contents' to see the full collections.

Here's a very interesting excerpt from one:

Text and drawings of Ethiopians, with dark skin and one large foot to shade themselves from the sun. You can enlarge the images of this manuscript to see this in more detail.

Top Bottom