The City Site Versus thread

The reason why you fail in building wonders and researching techs first is because you're trying to do everything at once. Even overpowered Germany can't do this while also conquering all its neighbors, so no reason to use inappropriate language (again), you need simply more focus.

But I want to build wonders in their correct locations. I can't build Notre Dame until I control Paris, and I can't build the Sistine Chapel until I control Rome.

As for Liberalism, yes, I got distracted with Civil Service and Engineering because I needed to build up my killer awesome uber force of Macemen and Trebuchets.

1660 - Have I mentioned how much I f***ing HATE plagues?

Crap.

1580 - Every time I take Moscow, I keep thinking "We need only kick the door down and the whole rotten building will collapse", but Russia is amazingly stable. This will be another very, very long war. I also have four vassal states now (England, Portugal, Netherlands, and Mali), which will be great when I'm ready to switch to Viceroyalty.

1600 - Damn, Mali just collapsed for some reason :undecide:, and there's a plague in Peru that should be spreading to Spain (Peru's master) any turn now. Well, at least I knocked out Russia's second capital.

1620 - The plague in Peru stopped without spreading anywhere, I'm 200 points ahead of my nearest rival, and I just razed Russian capital #3. They're willing to trade peace for Aesthetics. Too bad for them that they're about to collapse anyway.

1625 - Yup, they collapsed. This time, we were only at war for 75 years. I wonder... can I perform espionage and sabotage missions against my own vassals? Maybe I can collapse England that way...

1630 - The Vikings want to peacevassal to me. Seriously, WTF? Why do all of my enemies want to be my buddies?
The plague in Peru is most likely a conqueror's plague, which is something all Old World civs are immune to.

Your enemies likely want to vassalise because you have a huge military advantage - they are afraid of you and want your protection. You should find the AI civs most likely to vassalise are the ones with powerful neighbours.

You can perform espionage missions against vassals.

I don't bother with civil service early on in the game. Crossbowmen are good enough for me - consider trying them :)

Crossbows can't be given City Raider; they're actually inferior to Swordsmen for attacking cities unless your opponent is defending mostly with melee units.

It tried fomenting unhappiness in Viking cities, but to no effect. The folks there are just too happy.

Hmm, I actually can't remember why I liked using crossbowmen so much. I think it is because once I'm done taking Rome, Athens, and Istanbul I can then use the same crossbowmen as very effective city defence thanks to their bonus against melee units.

Well, I suppose that if you were using Barracks + Vassalage or Barracks + Theocracy, you could pump them out with Combat I and Cover, which might be enough for them to consistently beat Longbows with City Garrison...

Rome has a serious number of Pikemen in though. Also building every wonder in the game in the 'correct' city having already conquered it is impossible.

Well, I suppose that if you were using Barracks + Vassalage or Barracks + Theocracy, you could pump them out with Combat I and Cover, which might be enough for them to consistently beat Longbows with City Garrison...

Barracks+Vassalage+Theocracy+1 Instructor=Drill I+II+III AKA "2-5 FS" and if you have three more Instructors=Drill I-IV AKA 4-7 FS

A Drill IV Crossbowman will kill most things of equivalent Era in the field

Remember, stack the instructors in Faustindorf, one unit per turn!

Also building every wonder in the game in the 'correct' city having already conquered it is impossible.

Not impossible, just improbable.

Barracks+Vassalage+Theocracy+1 Instructor=Drill I+II+III AKA "2-5 FS" and if you have three more Instructors=Drill I-IV AKA 4-7 FS

Great Generals don't spawn so frequently...

If you want to disable them: Click me

I'm trying to play by the rules this time around.

If you win a lot of battles, they do.

Nothing is technically impossible, only very very improbable. The existence of fairies and pixies is possible in that if I was presented with enough evidence I would accept them as being real, however, I really don't think they exist. The existence of these beings is impossible in the sense that it makes sense to assume such given what we know about the world (same for God). In the same way the game does not provide enough time and resources to, with stability intact, invade the entire globe and build every wonder. So it is safe to assert this as an impossibility and to attempt it is foolish. Also, even if it is just extremely improbable (say probability is one over a google), it would be better for you to assume impossibility and try something else than make foolish attempt after foolish attempt at something that, technically possible or not, will still never happen. In short ,if you do this (without cheating), I will post you one of my legs.

How can you assert this when not given a time frame? I have had 3 great generals before switching out of medieval civs before, so I know that it is possible. Maybe you just aren't fighting enough wars? You do know that they are linked to experience gained by your units, right?

Good. First learn to master computer game rules and then you might master the social rules of not being a word censored by me to save the mods a job

You can't build every wonder in historical location - the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Sistine Chapel can't exist unless you build the leaning tower in Pisae, raze it, then settle Rome ;)

Do you build the Statue of Liberty in Paris or New York?
Do you build the Channel Tunnel in Calais (settled as England, remember - the French don't have that name in their city list) or in Folkestone (the English don't even have Dover in their list, let alone Folkestone ;))?

What I actually wrote:

I want to build wonders in their correct locations.

What everyone else apparently read:

I want to build every single wonder in the whole damn game in its correct location.

Also...

You do know that they are linked to experience gained by your units, right?

Moderator Action: *snip* Don't troll other users here.

We have the full rights to read it that way. It is all or none, not just the Eiffel Tower and the Notre Dame, but as many as possible. Otherwise it would make no sense at all to be honest.

We have the full rights to read it that way. It is all or none, not just the Eiffel Tower and the Notre Dame, but as many as possible.

No, it's every wonder in the territories that you're supposed to conquer: Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame if you're France; Kremlin for Russia; those three plus the Sistine Chapel for Germany; Hanging Gardens if you're Babylon; Coliseum if you're Rome; Great Wall if you're China; Great Wall for the Mongols if the Chinese haven't built it by the time you conquer them, etc.

Note that this is basically impossible for Greece, as there's simply not enough room on the map for Athens (Parthenon), Delphi (Oracle), Rhodes (Colossus), Olympia (Statue of Zeus), Halicarnassus (Mausoleum), AND Ephesus (Temple of Artemis).

No, it's every wonder in the territories that you're supposed to conquer: Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Sistine Chapel, Kremlin for Germany; Hanging Gardens if you're Babylon; Coliseum if you're Rome; Great Wall if you're China; etc.
Leaning Tower of Pisa, while Rome exists is done how?

Leaning Tower of Pisa, while Rome exists is done how?

Not at all. Just go for Historical Victory. The Leaning Tower wasn't finished until 1372 and the Romans only need to hold out until 1000 AD.

Top Bottom