The Civ V wish-list!!!

I would love to see the following in CIV V

1.3D world with hexagon spaces, no crummy attempt like in civ 4
2. Applied resources sort of like in rts games. A player would have basic symbols for things like energy, metal, food, wealth and would have counters showing how much a player has. Resources like oil and coal would add to energy stockpiles where as grain and rice would go to food. This would enhance the overall realismof the game instead of an entire national railroad being buit from one source of iron and coal. Or a country the size of the USA running on one source of oil. They should have supplies and outputs
3. I want to see expanded territory options. like explorers laying claim to land without a city and having tiles not within city radius add to a counties strength and city production.
4. Seasons would be nice and natural disasters.
5. Maybe make the game like an rts with days or weeks constantly going past but with the obvious ability to pause the game.
6. Dynamic terrain not cheap blocky construction. Give the game depth with high platues, river basins and caotic unscripted coast line. Make the game like a real planet.
7. Large armies with actual manpower counts and have these armies subtract from populations of cities.
8. Dynamic political system with rebellions civil wars, and new nations coming into the game.
9. Maybe hundreds of civs both fictional and historical to give the game depth.
10. Dynamic upgrades, railways, roads, highways, wind mills, dams, solar arrays, workshops.
11. Large cities that encompas several tiles with high detail.
12. In game editors to allow the palyer to create their own style of civilization, from government, history, architecture, and religon.

i wouldn't wnat seasons in real time that would be crazy but they change every ten minutes of playing something like that. They could effect food levels or battle combat in war or simply unit movement.

Now Wait, 3d is cool, But there's got to be a simpler way to do 3D (by simple I mean it doesn't need a supper computer to run)

And now, about the faulty civ IV combat system:

I like the unit premotions, but I don't like that Attack & Deffense are merged into one number, that is changed or altered depending on what premotions the units have. I sugjest bringing back the Attack & Deffense numbers, but the premotions can stay.

The Civ IV combat is also faulty in the actual combat: When I attack, or I'm attacked, and when It looks like I didn't take damage, once combat is over, I find that my unit is down 3/4 health. What's up with that? I, for one, want to see the actual attack that reduced my unit, and know that for future refrence.

The Victory videos definitly need to be upgraded, and by the way He1kki has described, the Diplomatic Victory is a laugh.

Oh, there's another page!

I'm okay with seasons; It could last two turns before rolling over to the next one. And there effects would be noticable: Unit stats cut in half (Winter), Increased food value (Spring, Summer) High probability of Huricanes (Fall), Altered Gfx (All seasons, but this is not a reqirement)

Anyways, I'll update the front page tomorow...

I'd like a way to get reasonable results while actually using the governors, and get some real value out of it. Maybe you get an extra happy face if the governor is on, because the governor doesn't feel like you are looking over his shoulder.

there should be better geopolitics
like blocking the suez canal could slow all global trade
or extra commerce from cities located in important locations

Over on our sister thread (See my first post) they are talking about transporting naval units accross continants. This idea is of cource silly, (because if it were posible, then Collumbus would have sailed around the world, not Magellen [ <- spelled right?])
But instead, A way of crossing continants is an intresting thing to think about. I say that workers be given a new job, call it 'Dig Canal'. This would only be an option when the worker is near a coast tile, or another canal. Naval units could pass through these canals, and land units could cross the bridges spaning the canals. I'm not sure what tech would enable this (Electricity?) or how it would interact with terrain and improvements, but it's a start.

Also, In Civ IV BtS, naval units can blockade an enemy port, stopping all or most trade through that port. (Maybe this could be done naturaly, so all you have to do is fortify the boat at a choke point, and sea trade automaticly stops, You know, like civ III)

BTW: I like the Governor idea, Teller. I have therefor added it.

Don't know if anyone has posted any of these yet, but...

-Natives! Not barbarians (the Sumerians, being the first to develop a form of writen communication and advanced for their time in mathematics, can hardly be referred to as barbarian). Natives that build small villages and spread over seas short distances without naval units. They don't improve the land (maybe irrigation or something, nothing major), and have to be assimilated into your peoples before you can claim their land.
-Terrain Improvement Levels. Path->Road->Highway->Superhighway, or something of the like. Farming, 'workshops', and fortresses should work the same way.
-Land Transports. Usable land transports... APC, anyone?
-Immobile Weapons. Cannons, trenches, barricades, mines (especially), traps, et cetera. Units buildable in the field.
-Actual Slave Trade. Without courts, a certain portion of a city's pop. growth would turn to crime. Depending on the number of units 'policing' the city, you automatically produce a or multiple slave units. These can be sold to other empires or used for your own purposes.
-Mercenaries. Be able to put your units up for hire, at a price.
-Orbital Weapons. Stations, shuttles, sattelites, et al.
-Resource Que. Each resource you're harvesting produce a few points of that resource a turn. Each unit requires a few to build. Hence you stockpile iron 'till you need to make swordsman, then you use it. Seems more rational than this indefinite supply idea.
-Federations/Real Empires. With a high enough diplomatic setting, and enough of a power gap, you should be able to convince other, smaller countries to join a federation or a union (USSR, EU, USA, et cetera), where they act semi-autonomously.
-Civ III Functionality. A/D/M, armies, volcanoes and marshes, THE EDITOR! A comprehensive tech, civ, unit, terrain, experience, diplomacy, et al, editor! No more pain-in-the-arse hopping between inumerable text files to get a single unit to work, or scrolling down several hundred lines of text to a 20 characters. You've made a huge, influential, and quite succesful TBS series, I think you can handle a text editor.
-Genocide. Racial war, religious war, 'cleansing', concentration and work camps, actual oppression for certain religions/races through military force. Why I have no choice but to allow africans to live in London seems very inaccurate. When the AI seems to have no xenophobic tendancies what-so-ever also seems inaccurate.
-Revolutions. Look at the revolutions modpack and you'll know what I mean.
-Migration. Starvation, war, plague, persecution, ideological difference. These should create autonomous 'migrants' that make their way toward the nearest/most preferred civ and attempt to join their cities.

Much more, but I have to go to work now.

Some of this stuff is already in Civ4-
-Health Bars are a toggable Option
-Tactical Nukes came in BTS
Also, a lot of this stuff would crank up the rating
-Genocide: Um, yeah. No. This alone would make it M.
-Actual Slave Trade-Barbaric. Historically accurate, yes, but it would alienate kids (parents would NOT want a game with slave trade) and most of the African-American population

My suggestions
-Hexagon grid; is this hard to implement? if not hexagonal, at least staggered squares, to reduce movement biases on diagonals...
-Specific Wartime Improvements-could be built by Soldierss: Barbed Wire, etc
-Machine Guns become Gunpowder Units, and can attack; they sure did a lot of attacking in the World Wars, and supply Guerilla warfare.
-Revolutions and Civil Wars (option? Mod?)
-Extended tech tree-Next War supplements this, but for core gameplay, techs like Hydroponics or Radar would be nice.

If someone has posted this, sorry, but it would be cool if there were more privateer units. in civ 3, there are privateer ships that don't cause war if you attack. it'd be nice if there were like, pirate musketmen and cannoneers. it would be interesting if privateers surrendered if they were about to die and the victor could either execute the criminals and gain culture or enslave them.

Civlization Specific Heroes-
These powerful units are built in the civilization's real counterpart's 'golden age'. (i.e. Soanish would be around astronomy, greeks near aesthetics). Some would be strong warriors (like the mongol hero, Tamerlane) or boost the city they are in stats (Greek hero Aristotle would increase a city's science and culture ouptput by 50%)

Yes, heroes, yes!:drool:

Do you mean:
  • Paris
  • Cromwell
  • Patton
  • Bismark
  • Joan of Arc
  • Napoleon
  • Alexander the Great
  • Caesar
  • Vercingetorix
  • Achilles
  • Odysseus/Ulysses

Well, I'm not doing mythological leaders(Achilles, Ulysees) or going for leaders(Alexander). More for smaller people, whom have a large impact, but not as alrge as leaders. Each civ would get one, whom could only be built once.

Some would be:

SunTzu- China
Aristotle- Greece
Imhotep- Egypt
Gaius Marius- Rome
Von Richtofer- germany
etc.

Hmmm... I think that the leader of a country should change with the ages. Like if your starting leader was elizabeth (if you were britain), you would stay wity her until the rennaissance. then, you could get edward or something.

Top Bottom