The Civ V wish-list!!!

1. Allow ships to travel along rivers. Galleys should be able to transport troops along rivers. Ironclads should be able to patrol rivers. The Roman empire had an entire fleet assigned to the Danube and another one on the Rhine. Great rivers need ships. Ships should also block enemy land movement over the river.

2. Allow ships to bombard coastal units, like aircraft can. They might need a special upgrade in order to do so, but the sailors should not sit there twiddling their thumbs while the soldiers die.

3. Allow coastal archery and artillery units (catapults, artillery, etc.) to engage adjacent naval units. (Imagine frigates and a port city's cannons duking it out, or an ancient archers and cats vs. triremes. Units boarded in the naval stack should be able to defend, so now there's a reason to put archers and cats on galleys -- to defend your fleets.) A ship could destroy enemy units but not take a city, much like helicopters work.

4. Allow missionaries to possibly convert barbarian cities without just getting eaten for lunch as they approach. Barbarian tribes may have a "hostility" factor. Some may attack the missionary. Some might just attack the missionary 50% of the time. Some may peacefully accept the missionary among them. You should be able to get converted barbarians to join through a culture pop -- shared religion, proximity, and even possibly trade. I think of them more as "minor powers" rather than "barbarians".

5. Separate the concept of a "nation" from an "ethnicity." Rome became Rome not by spreading around Italians, but by allowing Nubians, Greeks, Britons, Gauls and Hispanic tribes to all consider themselves "Roman." Two different civilizations might even share the same "ethnicity" but be separate nations. For instance, imagine a game set in medieval Europe. There might be a lot of "German" ethnic states, but with different leaders. Your ethnicity and religion might be the same as your rival, but you have different leaders. This might aid you if you attack and take over your rival, and it might thwart you both if you are both trying to attack and control the areas of, say, a Russian enemy, who had a different ethnicity than yours.

6. Division of Territory. Civil War. Allow a player a chance to "break their nation." Often in history, from Alexander the Great's successors (along with countless other divisions between heirs) to the division of the Latin west and Greek east of Rome, or the Rescript of Honorius which made Briton independent of Rome ("Seek to your own defenses..."), there have been times when a nation has sundered itself. A nation should be able to undergo such radical change. Sometimes peacefully and purposefully. In such a case, a player might choose to purposefully alienate lands and say "Assign a new AI to it." Other times, it might be inflicted on the player, leading possibly to revolt or civil war. A civil war might even divide a nation, its cities and units, based on the popularity of your leader at the time. ("Greetings, [PlayerLeader]. I am George Washington. I now represent the United States of America. We're taking some of your territory and leaving your glorious nation to start our own." [Show minimap] Do you agree to divide your nation along these lines peacefully, or will there be war between brethren?") The civil war might be along cultural, religious or political lines. Cities, for instance, might have a "favorite civic" based somewhat on what they are used to, and somewhat based on what the AI might think would make them most profitable. Hence you could actually model the conditions for the American Civil War, if the Southern states preferred Slavery as a means to their economic prosperity because of a lack of ore, and the heavily-cottaged North preferred Emancipation. The ebb and flow of history should allow a once-profitable colonial empire to switch tactics and abandon owning territory -- instead, letting it go independent politically, but maintaining corporations, religions, and even foreign military bases in those former imperial lands to continue a cultural presence. You're not alone in the world of possible schisms and civil wars -- allow the AI to fracture as well. In fact, allow a player to put pressures on opponents to get their rivals to fracture.

7. Effective spies far earlier in the game. You should be able to foment unrest in other cities -- sparking cultural dissatisfaction or satisfaction. Or use them internally to "root out opponents to your regime" and make your people secure and happier without noisome foreign opponents. Of course, such use of spies domestically might be improved with Police State, and the effect of foreign spies might be lessened with things like Free Speech. Your spies might also even cause cities to rebel, and might have upgrades that allow them to sabotage buildings and entire cities at advanced levels. The "spy with a suitcase nuke" is the classic fear of Cold War and Post-Cold War thrillers. Allow them in Civ. Also allow spies far earlier in the game. Rome, China and Japan used them extensively. Spies might also help lower or obviate an enemy city's defenses for besieging troops -- allowing them in through the postern gate, as it were. Spies and counterspies should be part of the arsenal of all leaders from the Classical era onwards.

8. Always ship maps of the real world. Always. Different areas. Different scales. The entire world. The Fertile Crescent. The Med. The Indian Subcontinent. China. Japan. The Americas. British Isles. Europe++ (spanning to North Africa, the Persian Gulf and the Caucuses).

9. Religious and corporate suppression. It happens. Religions and corporations get banned or expelled from cities or whole nations or at least driven underground. You might send a missionary to a city not just to add a faith to a city, but to drive a rival belief out of it. It might hurt you later in the game when Free Religion comes along, but for the short term (or the nature of the scenario), it may keep your opponent from having a chance to make inroads in your cities. Such suppression might have a price in Unhappiness, and the attempt might fail yet still produce the Unhappiness effect. It might even backfire, reinforcing the strength of a religion in a city. Hearts and minds have been swayed by strong regimes and firebrand zealots. Allow your players a chance to do better than Diocletian or the Spanish Inquisition.

In sum, I see three "bars" for a city:

1. The "Culture" bar, which is presently presented (eg: 85% Austria-Hungary, 10% Prussia, 5% Turkey)

2. An "Ethnicity" bar (eg: 30% German, 25% Slav, 25% Croat, 15% Hungarian, 5% Turk), and

3. A "Religion" bar (eg: 60% Catholic, 32% Orthodox, 8% Islam).

There are scenarios with seasons. Check out the old Desert War scenario, in which turns are a weekly basis, or the Pirates! mod, which plays seasonally.

It would be awesome for things like freezing over lakes to allow troops to cross in winter, but a pain for the sudden recalculation of economies. Aieeee! It's winter and my people are freezing to death! But maybe there is a way to do it which is balanced.

Seasonal effects might also be something long-term like "mini ice ages" or "global warming" over time. It might affect coastal cities, for instance -- the sinking of Atlantis anyone?

A rise or drop in sea levels might be gradual and noticeable if your keep your eye on it. Not precisely continental drift, but continental shift?

Likewise, I would love it if there were river deltas that silted up and added territory slowly over time. The mouth of the Mississippi, or the Tigris/Euphrates Delta have progressed about 100 miles during the course of human history because of silting. An extra spot of floodplains or jungle at the mouth of a river delta after a long, long, long time might be a curious natural phenomenon. It was something I noticed when I was doing my work on a game about ancient Rome and noticed how far the Tigris/Euphrates delta advanced over time.

The main effect I can see with weather might be a need for decreased activity and movement during harsh seasons, and massive combat penalties and even wounding troops (through attrition) that kept up combat operations regardless of the weather. It depends on the terrain, the timescale and the desire of the designer of the scenario to say whether you will take attrition loss, for instance, marching through the desert of North Africa during a hot summer, or over the snowy steppes of Russia during brutal winter. You might even be able to get promotions to troops ("Desert Rats" -- do not suffer attrition in desert. "Snow Trooper" -- do not suffer winter attrition effects. etc.)

5. Separate the concept of a "nation" from an "ethnicity." Rome became Rome not by spreading around Italians, but by allowing Nubians, Greeks, Britons, Gauls and Hispanic tribes to all consider themselves "Roman." Two different civilizations might even share the same "ethnicity" but be separate nations. For instance, imagine a game set in medieval Europe. There might be a lot of "German" ethnic states, but with different leaders. Your ethnicity and religion might be the same as your rival, but you have different leaders. This might aid you if you attack and take over your rival, and it might thwart you both if you are both trying to attack and control the areas of, say, a Russian enemy, who had a different ethnicity than yours.

I can't agree more. My idea was not to separate ethicity from culture, but political influence from culture influence. For example, basic settlers would not be able anymore to make an empire grow, but would only create independant colonies that would be easier to incorporate or even conquer because their culture would be the same. Along those terms, there would be another phase along with the pahse of expansion: the phase of colonization.

In fact, the settlers produced are only here to allow the player to locate the cities the way it suits him, because if not that, settlers would not even pop up but the cities appear directly near the capital.

In the phase of conquest, the player could choose to rally the colonies by weapons or diplomatically. This last option would depend on his level of political influence, obtained with buildings and judicious city placements, and even a political influence bar along the science, money, cultural and espionnage ones.

What is interesting in this is that the player would spend much time and effort in order to unificate his civilization, neglecting the other ones, what would make simply another great goal to reach during the game, other than simply conquer a whole continent and go upward the second. Tensions would be maximum, and the game would be to play with them rather than conquering the whole world with only 2 or 3 civs remaining which is fairly unrealistic and most of all, unfun.

6. Division of Territory. Civil War. Allow a player a chance to "break their nation." Often in history, from Alexander the Great's successors (along with countless other divisions between heirs) to the division of the Latin west and Greek east of Rome, or the Rescript of Honorius which made Briton independent of Rome ("Seek to your own defenses..."), there have been times when a nation has sundered itself. A nation should be able to undergo such radical change. Sometimes peacefully and purposefully. In such a case, a player might choose to purposefully alienate lands and say "Assign a new AI to it." Other times, it might be inflicted on the player, leading possibly to revolt or civil war. A civil war might even divide a nation, its cities and units, based on the popularity of your leader at the time. ("Greetings, [PlayerLeader]. I am George Washington. I now represent the United States of America. We're taking some of your territory and leaving your glorious nation to start our own." [Show minimap] Do you agree to divide your nation along these lines peacefully, or will there be war between brethren?") The civil war might be along cultural, religious or political lines. Cities, for instance, might have a "favorite civic" based somewhat on what they are used to, and somewhat based on what the AI might think would make them most profitable. Hence you could actually model the conditions for the American Civil War, if the Southern states preferred Slavery as a means to their economic prosperity because of a lack of ore, and the heavily-cottaged North preferred Emancipation. The ebb and flow of history should allow a once-profitable colonial empire to switch tactics and abandon owning territory -- instead, letting it go independent politically, but maintaining corporations, religions, and even foreign military bases in those former imperial lands to continue a cultural presence. You're not alone in the world of possible schisms and civil wars -- allow the AI to fracture as well. In fact, allow a player to put pressures on opponents to get their rivals to fracture.

I wholeheartedly agree with this too. Nations should divide. The challenge of the game would not be anymore "conquest the whole world", which is kind of moronic, but "survive the more longer possible in one piece". Once the player defeated, he could choice to join one of the winner. I think that the vassal state is a good representation of it, but at a multi-civilization scale. I would want it to be applied to a single civilization scale.

A civilization could divide under various factors. The more evident is culture. Let's say one civ conquer another. Then the cultural assimilation would not be evident, far of it. If it fails, then the country would rebel after a certain time. Now a civilization frontier. Let's imagine that the culture of frontier city have mixed up with the neighbour, so well that it declares the independance. Maybe that this declaration would encourage others.
Another factor is the religion. Polytheism could stongly encourage city states as a different god to be worshipped in each city.

There should be other factors of disorder in order to make the game a mess where it would be difficult to be kept in one piece. For example, Völkerwanderungen (barbarian migrations) could submerge the players, who may lose many places, of barbarian units. The challenge would then be to survive to all those events, more than conquering the whole world. In the case he fails, he could remain as a vassal or as a cultural faction, ready to make a revolution to take the power back. I know that this last thing does not seem quite good, but it deserves more thinking in order to make a more realistic game.

Okay, I'm back. River transport has been talked about already, and is even in The List!
What civ are you playing? Naval units can bombard cities & units, right?
About Civil war, I don't think the player should be able to start a civil war; it should happen automaticly.
Spies already have been put earlyer in Civ 4 BTS, and work great.

Anyway, I sugjest that you all read through the first post at least! almost everything in this thread is there.

BTW, I personaly think the election thing is un-civ-al, but I've put it up anyway...
#28 of Chapter 3: Gameplay.

Back to 'nationalism' vs. 'ethnicity' for a bit.

Sparta and Athens are both Greek. That means that they hate each other because of their internal cultural rivalry, but love each other when threatened by Persia.

There should be similar issues of cultural cooperation and/or competition between, say, Celtic or Germanic tribes.

There should be cultural and periodic issues of expansiveness and embrasiveness mixed with cloistering and abrasiveness. Xenophobia at times (say, feudal Japan), vs. xenophilia (how post-WWII Japan became quite enamoured on copying and incorporating American pop culture as their own in their rebuilding and modernization era). For instance, Rome was expansive and inclusive of other cultures -- until, somewhere in the 3rd Century AD, it really wasn't any more. It had sort of grown to a maximal extent, and then they started building limes to keep the barbarians out.

At the dawn of time, "my tribe" is "my nation." Anyone not of your ethnicity is obviously not of your nation. In fact, at the dawn of time, anyone not-of-your-nation was not even human. It was perfectly alright to hunt them down just like they were an animal to be killed. This idea that the "stranger" was also human is somewhat the basis of civilization.

Separating one's own ethnicity from one's nation only happens when there are recognition of other tribes as human, acceptance of a number of them within your community -- for instance, allow open borders to enable migration -- or conquer other lands -- and cultures mix.

There's an entire category of civics that need to be developed around this:

Somewhere down the technology tree, a brilliant person in your nation needs to invent a few things.

Proposed New Ethnic Civics

Racism
Upkeep: Low
Required Tech: None
Effects: Cultural influences are positively maximized when interacting with other nations and cities of the same ethnicity as your nation, but penalties are increased when dealing with nations and cities of different ethnicities. Cities with the same predominant ethnicity as your nation are happier. Cities in your nation with a majority of its population of different ethnicities as your nation's will be more unhappy. Other ethnicities in your cities will slowly diminish over time, possibly leading to depopulation.
Quote: "Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears!" - Shakespeare, Julius Caesar

Xenophobia
Upkeep: Low
Required Tech: Mysticism
Effects: Keeps outside cultural influences minimized, even of the same ethnicity (including spread of other nation's borders encroaching on your territory and hampering the spread of nonstate religions and corporations). Also minimizes your nation's cultural, religious and corporate spread into other nation's areas. (Does not affect cultural expansion into uninhabited/unclaimed land.) Cities in your nation with a majority ethnicity the same as your nation will be happier. Cities with a majority of its population of other ethnicities will be far more unhappy. Other ethnicities in your cities will quickly diminish, likely leading to depopulation.
Quote: "Assembling arms where there are no gaijin..." -- Heike Monogatari

Cosmopolitan
Upkeep: Medium
Required Tech: Philosophy
Effects: Enables happier management of cities with multiple ethnicities and faiths, and eases the assimilation of cities which do not share the same predominant ethnicity or religion as your nation. Cultural influences upon mutual borders will be greater. (Be careful applying this civic when neighboring states have a far stronger culture than you.)
Quote: "I am a citizen of the world (kosmopolites)" -- Diogenes of Sinope

Irredentism
Upkeep: High
Required Tech: Nationalism
Effects: Keeps external influences minimized upon your own borders, but neighboring cities sharing the same ethnic majority as your nation will be more prone to the spread of your cultural influence. Nearby cities with majority populations different than your nation's main ethnicity will react somewhat negatively to your culture. Cities within your nation with a majority population different than your nation's primary ethnicity will be unhappier.
Quote: "Indeed, whenever two Italians happen to meet, no matter if the one be an ardent royalist and the other a red-hot republican, they quickly forget all their political differences in order to unite in the cry of 'Evviva Italia irredenta! Evviva Oberdank!'" -- New York Times, October 29, 1889

Okay, I'm back. River transport has been talked about already, and is even in The List!
Thought so. Just wanted to pipe in with my support of the idea.

What civ are you playing? Naval units can bombard cities & units, right?
Yes, bombard, to lower the defense value of a city, to zero. Then what? They cannot, for instance, take out the cannons defending a port. What good is a frigate that cannot silence the guns of a harbor? Likewise, it would add a lot more to the 'coastal defense' concept to allow a cannon on the coast to blast away at a passing frigate. However, there might be a modifier, so that land units are -50% vs. naval units. Seem reasonable? See what I am getting at?

About Civil war, I don't think the player should be able to start a civil war; it should happen automaticly.

A player might want to split their empire peacefully on their own. It would then be out of their control -- and it might be a friend or an enemy in the future. But alienation of territory is always in the right of a nation. I think it should be a player's choice, just like gifting cities to another power.

Spies already have been put earlyer in Civ 4 BTS, and work great.

Hrm. I'm on a Mac, and BtS is not ported to it yet. I'll have to give it a whirl when it's ported.

4. Allow missionaries to possibly convert barbarian cities without just getting eaten for lunch as they approach. Barbarian tribes may have a "hostility" factor. Some may attack the missionary. Some might just attack the missionary 50% of the time. Some may peacefully accept the missionary among them. You should be able to get converted barbarians to join through a culture pop -- shared religion, proximity, and even possibly trade. I think of them more as "minor powers" rather than "barbarians".
I’m not 100% sure on this, but I seem to remember playing a game where I did send a missionary into a barbarian city and convert it to Judaism, IIRC.

Civ3 had this to a degree, in that each pop head had its own nationality, which was really cool, not sure it that’s in civ4 or not. Change nationality to Ethnicity and there you go.

I can't agree more. My idea was not to separate ethicity from culture, but political influence from culture influence. For example, basic settlers would not be able anymore to make an empire grow, but would only create independant colonies that would be easier to incorporate or even conquer because their culture would be the same. Along those terms, there would be another phase along with the pahse of expansion: the phase of colonization…. SNIP
I wouldn’t remove settlers that found new cities for you. That’s a big part of the game and having that is essential to the civ experience. However, adding migration to the game via a Migrant unit, that is AI controlled and goes out and founds independent cities, which you could then go conquer or another player might, would be a great idea IMO.

1. The "Culture" bar, which is presently presented (eg: 85% Austria-Hungary, 10% Prussia, 5% Turkey)

2. An "Ethnicity" bar (eg: 30% German, 25% Slav, 25% Croat, 15% Hungarian, 5% Turk), and

Personally, I like actually seeing the population heads like in civ3, and then each head would have a culture, ethnicity and a religion.

What do you do if you want to represent fractions smaller than a head? Most cities are <30 size, so each head could, at most, represent about 3%, with most heads in cities size <10 representing 10% or more each. It would be nice if there was more granularity in the system. I prefer simple %'s for this. Though it would be cute to see that your first priest was an Aztec Hindu, and the second a Mayan Buddhist, etc., it doesn't work when things shift over time or need to represent small fractions.

True, more ganularity would be welcome, especially in a shift toward true population. I guess it's just the fact that it's more definitive. I mean, using straight percentages, how would you know which percentage of Prussians are German Catholics, using your example? It's an almost trivial thing for gameplay, I know, but it would bug me nonetheless. If you put it into a matrix rather than simple bars as you'd shown, where every combination was accounted for and percentages shown for, that would be better than the pop heads.

• A fairer but smarter diplomacy system (sick of getting multiple -1 for turning down stupid demands which do not equally apply to the AIs).
  • With better diplomacy, gives the builders a chance. Currently in too many games early rushes are required. Stop the AIs from insanely moving 20 tiles and settling right near my capital.
  • Have the AI considering the distance a bit more smartly. Historically in ancient time most wars occurred between civs that were nearby because this means competition for resources/lands. Also this is logistically much less likely somebody DoW on you from thosands miles away (even today, otherwise US won't need a mutliple billion budget for their Iraq war).
  • As I said, have a better system taking logistics into consideration. Not just some additional maintainence. In fact history will be totally revised if logistics is not a big deal.
  • More dead-end tech branches (e.g. techs leading to stronger bows, stronger mounted units) that allow specialization and hence diversification (usually resulting in short term gain but long-term disadvantage)
  • Make wars less tedious in the end game.
  • More rewarding when we win a game or annihilated a civ, not just a fine print of "Civ ABC has been destroyed" popping up somewhere on the screen for two seconds.
  • More choices of level of barbarian activities (not just agressive, standard, no), resources in the map etc.
  • Give free religion a bit of boost.
  • Stopping tagging most East Asian leaders protective
  • Can the system remember my choice of leader, sealevel etc from the last game?

Seriously, I think that meant things can and should be done to improve this next series. Those things being...

The allowance of travel, improvement and even settlement on mountains.

The getting rid of the cartoons leader head figures. They all seem to have lost something from the Civ 3 games in which the leaderheads were better.

Less Western Eurocenterism, in the fact that the nations chosen are based on how well they did on western standards and values. Notice the glaring lack of Native North and South American, African, South/Southeast Asian and hell, even central and eastern European civs for that matter.

The silly groupings of the Native Americans in Civ 4 into one faction. It's quite disrespectfully to have all these people who may have hated each other long before we came here into one nation. In some ways it's more logical to put the Zulu and Chinese into one civ. This is what made me stop buying any civ games.

I don't know why but, I personally prefer that they improve upon the old graphics of civ 3 and make those look nicer than continuing to have this crappy civ 4 graphics. It's just another taint if you ask me.

Along with the Western Eurocentericalism there seems to be a lack of wonders and a general efficacies on the rest of the world. A great deal of the wonders you see are ether from Western Europe, modern America and the Middle East. There's not a whole lot of other world locations that has as many wonders in the game.

Another idea, is that natural landmarks could be set after discovering some tech. You would be able to have to the option of setting several tiles of land to protect in which your workers wouldn't be able to destroy. There would also be some placed natural wonders that would be able to provide extra happiness, wealth and culture.

More to come later.

Couldn't agree with you more. Civ4's culture model is terrible, but for a different reason. It makes conquest almost impossible. Even if you conquer a city, more often than not, the city rebels and rejoins the original civ because it would be totally enveloped by the other civ's culture. The only way to prevent that is to thoroughly destroy the other nation. Yet another reason wars in Civ4 just plain sucks. No city's value should go to zero if it is conquered.

7. Effective spies far earlier in the game. You should be able to foment unrest in other cities -- sparking cultural dissatisfaction or satisfaction. Or use them internally to "root out opponents to your regime" and make your people secure and happier without noisome foreign opponents. Of course, such use of spies domestically might be improved with Police State, and the effect of foreign spies might be lessened with things like Free Speech. Your spies might also even cause cities to rebel, and might have upgrades that allow them to sabotage buildings and entire cities at advanced levels. The "spy with a suitcase nuke" is the classic fear of Cold War and Post-Cold War thrillers. Allow them in Civ. Also allow spies far earlier in the game. Rome, China and Japan used them extensively. Spies might also help lower or obviate an enemy city's defenses for besieging troops -- allowing them in through the postern gate, as it were. Spies and counterspies should be part of the arsenal of all leaders from the Classical era onwards.
Agreed. I miss those units.

9. Religious and corporate suppression. It happens. Religions and corporations get banned or expelled from cities or whole nations or at least driven underground. You might send a missionary to a city not just to add a faith to a city, but to drive a rival belief out of it. It might hurt you later in the game when Free Religion comes along, but for the short term (or the nature of the scenario), it may keep your opponent from having a chance to make inroads in your cities. Such suppression might have a price in Unhappiness, and the attempt might fail yet still produce the Unhappiness effect. It might even backfire, reinforcing the strength of a religion in a city. Hearts and minds have been swayed by strong regimes and firebrand zealots. Allow your players a chance to do better than Diocletian or the Spanish Inquisition.

Ethnicity, I'm not so sure about. The other two seem plausible.

Almost forgot this lovely idea that was in SMAC and hasn't been in any Civ game yet... but is way over-due.

Blind Research

Bring back Blind Research from SMAC.

True, more ganularity would be welcome, especially in a shift toward true population. I guess it's just the fact that it's more definitive. I mean, using straight percentages, how would you know which percentage of Prussians are German Catholics, using your example? It's an almost trivial thing for gameplay, I know, but it would bug me nonetheless. If you put it into a matrix rather than simple bars as you'd shown, where every combination was accounted for and percentages shown for, that would be better than the pop heads.

How About a pop head\ percentage hybrid?:scan: A pop head With percentages? Each head would represent a set number of people, say 10. When you hover over the head, it shows you what percent of the population it represents are 'whatever'.

Therefore, a new city that you just built would have one pop head, and the percents as follows*: 100% Yourciv Culture (meaning 10 out of 10), 100% Yourciv Ethnicity, 100% Christian (meaning 10 out of 10).

Now, on the other hand, an old city that's been tuged on by nearby civs, could look like this*: 60% Yourciv Culture, 40% Otherciv Culture, 100% Yourciv Ethnicity, 80% Christianity (meaning 8 out of 10), 15% Islam (Meaning 1.5 out of 10, .5 means 1 is changing\converting) 5% non-religious (meaning 1 is converting\changing)

Another city, which has been captured and captured back some time later may look like this*: 35% Yourciv Culture, 60% Otherciv Culture, 5% Anotherciv Culture, 15% Yourciv Ethnicity (1 out of 10, 1 is mixed, 70% Otherciv Ethnicity (7 out of 10), 15% Anotherciv Ethnicity (1 out of 10, 1 mixed), 5% Christianity (0 out of 10, 1 converting), 75% Islam (7 out of 10, 1 converting), 20% Non-religious. (Everyone got the point? good.)
Missionaries then convert either all people conected to one pop head, or one from all. Heads may or may not reflect the majority of the people they represent, and can represent less than 10 people when the total population is greater than or less than an increment of ten (???) (or whatever number of people a head is chosen to represent.)

So, is this going to be the new Civ List that gets sent to Firaxis? If so, and you're leading it Logitech, I'll volunteer to help you with it.

So that Firaxis can remain religion-neutral, not offending anyone and so that religion has a greater role than a simple culture and happiness bonus, which many people are clamoring for, I propose the following system. Note that I very strongly believe that, as much as possible in civ, all buildings, civics, units, etc. (basically everything except wonders) should have both a positive effect and a negative effect, forcing players to balance the pros and cons of their choices, rather than simply deciding whether or not the bonus is worth the time spent on it, and this system reflects that by having both bonuses and penalties tied to religion. The system could work without the penalties with very minor modification. Rather than balancing cost to 0, you&#8217;d simply pick some arbitrary value such as 6 to balance the cost to.

Religion founding stays as-is, that is a specific real-world religion is founded when a specific technology is discovered (it could change, but it&#8217;s not necessary to make this system work). Upon founding though, a new Build-Your-Own Religion popup screen appears, giving the user the option to customize their religion&#8217;s bonuses/penalties or select pre-defined packages. The pre-defined packages aren&#8217;t &#8220;Christianity&#8221;, &#8220;Islam&#8221;, etc., but rather packages such as &#8220;Militant&#8221;, &#8220;Pacifist&#8221;, &#8220;Hedonistic&#8221;, &#8220;Artful&#8221;, etc. This allows Firaxis to remain neutral on the religion front, by not tying specific bonuses/penalties to specific religions, but allowing players to do it themselves (of course, there&#8217;s the random option too for those who want it).

Each religion package has to balance to a cost of 0, with each bonus or penalty having a cost (positive for bonuses, negative for penalties), and no religion package can have more than 4 each of bonuses and penalties (to prevent absurdities like taking all bonuses and all penalties).

Example Bonuses
+1 Happiness in each city with state religion
+1 Culture in each city with state religion
+1 Gold in each city with state religion
+1 Beaker in each city with state religion
+1 Health in each city with state religion
+1 Food in each city with state religion
+1 Espionage in each city with state religion
+10% Defense in each city with state religion
+5 XP to each unit built in city with state religion
+1 Missionary
+25% Spread Rate
+50% Spread Rate
+100% Spread Rate
-50% Cost Missionaries

Example Penalties
-1 Happiness in each city with state religion
-1 Culture in each city with state religion
-1 Gold in each city with state religion
-1 Beaker in each city with state religion
-1 Health in each city with state religion
-1 Food in each city with state religion
-1 Espionage in each city with state religion
-10% Defense in each city with state religion
-5 XP to each unit built in city with state religion
Double Cost Missionaries
Triple Cost Missionaries
No Missionaries
-50% Spread Rate
No Spreading

These are just a few small and simple examples of possible bonuses/penalties. There can be a much larger and more varied list in actual gameplay.

It's not The one, but one of the multipul ones that will get sent, acording to all the other threads on Civ 5. And any help is greatly appreciated. As of now, I know of no solid ways on contacting to actual people who make the game. We will need to do some research to find that out.

And that reminds me, Has anyone actualy heard from the companies that Civ 5 is even planned\in the works? Me and stormrage both created threads on the rumor that they were going to, but no solid evidence.

My first wish is "Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V". :coffee:
Second: Beyond the document proposed by Dom I suggest we sub-contract or something. Perhaps a new site to handle this.
Third:Game set-up screens for all, or most of these ideas.
4th: Vanilla Civ V would be a result of near consensus and ability to implement.:smoke:
more later...(Civ V icon here!)

Top Bottom