1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Devil is Six

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by nocho, Jul 22, 2011.

1. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Vassals are definitely on. ;)

2. Sengir

Sengir Chieftain

That should help out a bit I suppose. Cap them early and try to make use of them (it also helps in keeping the number of garrison units down).

3. Ororo

Ororo Chieftain

We definitely want a tech superiority before engaging into a war. Otherwise we'll just run out of troops that we can't replace.
    However, I'm not saying we shouldn't start our first war in BC's. We need to find a unit that has a high survival chance. Our UU seems like a crap for this due to 1 less base strength. Jumbos might do. Not sure it all depends on the map.
    FIN is a great trait for us imo. CHAR too has an appeal as we'll be able to get well-promoted troops quicker. And well-promoted troops = higher survival rates. Civics like Theo and Vassalage might also be worth our while when pumping out our sixes.
    GGs might be very interesting in this game. Attaching them to a unit seems like a best option.
    And so on...
    If we can't have quantity (which is the way I normally wage wars :D), we shall have quality.

4. nocho

nocho Chieftain

So, I went ahead and rolled a start. I got this:

Admittedly I did regenerate a number of times as I wanted at least a decent start, although didn't necessarily have this in mind. Maybe too nice for your liking? :) If it is, I can roll a bit more. On the other hand, with all the upgrading we'll have to do some money cushion is kinda nice. :p

Went for pangaea in the end, normal sea level. I did figure boats and especially work boats may be a bit too much of a pain on fractal. High sea level seemed to give really too few land, so normal it was.

We start with fishing and mining by the way.

Attached Files:

5. vranasm

vranasm Chieftain

@nocho
    hehe... thanks for map to shadow :) definitely will try

6. Ororo

Ororo Chieftain

A little bit of starting position analysis.
    Blue lines indicate how the rivers flow.
    Red arrow is where I would move the warrior.

The start offers many possibilities.
    We have a wet Corn and some Sugar for fast growing.
    We have double riverside Gems which are food neutral and thus don't delay our growth.
    We have 4 Grassland hills. All of them are forested unfortunately.
    We have 1 unforested riverside grassland tile + 3 forested riverside grassland tiles. This means total of 4 riverside cottage if we choose to cottage them. Moving 1E would raise the number of them to 6.
    We have a lake, although it's not that appealing since riverside grassland Gems have the exact same yield.

Gonna do some work around the house now. When I'm back I'll try to do some maths.

7. nocho

nocho Chieftain

You mean 1E I presume? :)

I'd personally settle in place, not any major reason to lose a turn (and possibly a hill) with moving. Obviously worker first and Agriculture first. With all the forest around I guess BW next is logical. Worker would farm the corn first and then mine the gems. Sugar could be farmed too. Would this be a good case of 2 workers of the bat? Or worker-warrior-worker at size 2? Mmm, mining a second gem won't make sense actually if we're not size 3 yet, so maybe first worker can chop second worker.

On another note, Cam requested to be skipped, so I'll move him down the roster, which now looks like this:

nocho - Up
    Ororo - On deck
    Sengir
    FlyingSwan
    shyuhe
    Cam

8. Ororo

Ororo Chieftain

Yep, I'm sorry :D I would probably SiP too, I just listed this as a possibility.

9. FlyingSwan

FlyingSwan Chieftain

I agree with this.Ive been working on a strategy after reading Marigoldrans thread on GG ele-pulting in the S&T.The idea bieng to get into Theocracy asap to get 2 promotion cats.Ive been doing this by bulbing Theology about turn 75(this was with Monty though-oracle+temple got me that time).With this start I would consider oracling Feudalism,but thats hypothetical till the lands been scouted out.

10. Ororo

Ororo Chieftain

One thing about slingshots: We don't want to tech too fast. We always want to build 6 of a kind first. So no spears before we build 6 warriors etc. It's true that we can trade away our metal but imo that makes things more complicated...

11. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

You can pillage your metal resource to re-allow warriors. It's not that hard.

I'd settle in place unless a warrior move shows otherwise. I'd move the warrior 1NW if people are serious about settling 1E since that will show us the tiles we'd give up to the west for moving.

12. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

Also, it occurred to me that we're going to have a very large standing army so markets and courthouses may be more useful than normal. Same with vassalage.

13. nocho

nocho Chieftain

If we move the warrior 1NW we will just see 2 grass forests, if Ororo is right... So if we wanna move the settler, warrior 1E at least shows what we'd gain by moving. Still I'm for SIP.

We can indeed disconnect metals, but a feudalism slingshot would obsolete ordinary archers (I suppose). Finally a game here where I'm actually quite willing to research archery. ;) With the gems we obviously have some more room in the research department anyway.

Vassalage with our standing army size does sound interesting. And being CHA that should mean 2 promos of the bat. Then again this cap would be pretty good with bureau. Well, we'll see.

Yes to markets and courthouses, but of course we can only have six if the AI don't build them for us. I'd leave at least 1 CH unused for the FP in some AI capital.

14. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Based on Ororo's fog gazing, thought it better to move east than west. Zooming in the tile 2E of settler indeed seemed a hill and the one south of it grass, so decided to move SE with the warrior as both these tile should be uncovered.

So we have an extra sugar in the BFC if we SIP. Moving 1E or 1SE gives more river cottages, but I'm not sure if that's worth the move lost. In any case, any objection to a tech path agri-BW, worker-warrior?

15. Ororo

Ororo Chieftain

Agri->BW and Worker->Warrior is fine by me. Otherwise I agree with SiP. We keep 4 Hills, we keep both sugar tiles, we don't waste a turn by moving, we can improve corn right after worker is finished. It's a shame that we won't be able to build Levee though...

16. FlyingSwan

FlyingSwan Chieftain

This is an amazing start if we SiP,potentially 4 riverside cottages(although the tile 1NE of the settler looks a bit stategic resourcy)and with CHA and gems we can grow to size 7 to work all of them off the bat.

17. nocho

nocho Chieftain

Okay, enough votes for SIP, so went ahead and played. We seem to have quite decent land around as well.

Note stone and rice in the south. We met all AIs but Justinian, on t4 we met Izzy already from the SE, on t5 Saladin from the SW, so neither can't be too far. I'm at least happy to see our north, which looks like decent land to settle into.

Researched Agri and BW, no bronze in sight though. Tentatively queued AH. Worker farmed the corn and mined the first gem, has 1 turn done of mining the 2nd gem. We just grew to size 3 and our 2nd warrior can be online next turn. Our scouting warrior is still alive and met 2 animals that gave him woody1, still had to heal for some turns though (he's 1.9 strength).

Ororo is up, Sengir on deck. However, Sengir won't be available till Thursday he said in another SG, so if Ororo is relatively quick, FlyingSwan can take it after him. No hurries whatsoever, though!

Attached Files:

18. shyuhe

shyuhe Chieftain

2N of the cows looks decent. Is this emperor?

19. Ororo

Ororo Chieftain

Got it! I'll check the save tomorrow as it's really late here. Feel free to make any suggestions in the meantime.

20. nocho

nocho Chieftain

No, immortal. Pangaea, medium sea, temperate, standard size. No huts, nor events.