The Different Design Philosophies of Orbis, RifE, and Wildmana?

CaptTightpants

Chieftain
I'd like some feedback on what seems to be an overly-complicated choice.

My basic problem is this (and I'm sure it's shared by many others): I love FFH2 to bits, but since it's no longer in development I don't want to miss out on the improvements to AI and gameplay that have come from the modding community ever since.

So what can people share about the overall design goals of the different modmods? Also, what has been your experience actually playing them? (How do they 'feel', etc.?)

The purpose of the thread topic is to keep the discussion focused on overall differences, what type of gamer a particular modmod is suited to, etc., etc., without turning this into a pointless "my game is better!" argument.

And hopefully this can be a resource for future "modmod shoppers" like myself. :)

(Sorry I didn't include all the modmods in the title - I just see that these 3 are highlighted within the Modmod Forum right now. If you'd like to add commentary on other modmods, please do so!)

Thanks in advance!

download them all, try them all. They are free to play after all.

I agree with Sephi, just download, install, and try them. At the very least, you can browse the 'pedia for each one to get an idea of what's changed from base FfH2, and decide what sounds interesting for you.

basically, WM focuses on AI and stability

Orbis changes a lot and is very polished

RifE adds a lot of cool content

have fun ;)

One thing to consider is playing speed. I tried RiFE and it was painfully slow on my (seriously underpowered) machine. WM is as fast or faster than vanilla. I've never tried Orbis.

Gekko, thanks - that gives me something to start with. And thanks to everyone else too, I'll take it all into consideration.

For me, I value AI and stability and so I think I'll try WildMana first. It's cool that we have so many options, but it makes it hard for modmod noobs like me to decide where to begin. What I would love is for a chart to be made that focuses on the strengths of each mod. A guy can wish, eh? :)

I also want to check out the scenarios in FFH2. I assume those are incompatible with the modmods, and that I have to run them from "vanilla" FFH2, right?

Gekko, thanks - that gives me something to start with. And thanks to everyone else too, I'll take it all into consideration.

For me, I value AI and stability and so I think I'll try WildMana first. It's cool that we have so many options, but it makes it hard for modmod noobs like me to decide where to begin. What I would love is for a chart to be made that focuses on the strengths of each mod. A guy can wish, eh? :)

I also want to check out the scenarios in FFH2. I assume those are incompatible with the modmods, and that I have to run them from "vanilla" FFH2, right?

Correct.

Top Bottom