The Early Game

Phoenix Master

Chieftain
I am currently playing warlords and want some good tips and advice for dominating the early game. I am an average player. I have beaten civ 4 vanilla twice and warlords once on noble. Please keep the advice in simple language as much as possible.

i don't know it's a right thing or ont but i usually do this in the early game:
- Get a tech for worker's job. Then beeline to Bronze Working.
- Build a worker, wait for pop 2 then build a settler.
- Then chop all of the forest to rapid expandsion (if there's a vulnerable target, go for horseback riding (if have horse) or have an axerush). Meanwhile, reasearch Pottery to cover the economy and make each city has a worker.
- Then beelining to Currency and starting to plot an early war by using to magic of slavery.

Worker first build.
Grow to size 3-4 pending what resources you have.
Focus on food resources early on.
Do use slavery and whip builds.
I normally build a second settler directly after first.
Don't be afraid to chop forest.
Don't expand based on what Ai do. Keep growing your empire to 7-8+ cities before 1ad.
Always try to settle food resource in first ring.
Don't be afraid to settle cities closer to capital to help with cottages and share food resources.

Play BTS - it is the definitive version of IV.

Play on Noble level at least. Playing anything lower is not helping much. Noble is neutral bonuses for AI and human. Below normal the Human gets bonuses and AI maluses, so it gives you false impression. If you want to learn you need to step up the game now.

Get BUG/BULL mod here - use Single Player/Custom Assets install (no need to load the mod):

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/download-bug-and-bat-here.274636/

mod is for BTS

FOOD is king!
Worker most important unit!
Granary most important Building!
Slavery most powerful mechanic in the game!

You can learn quick and get much more specific advice by playing a game with us here.

-Worker as the first build is usually a good starting move.
-It may go without saying, but never work unimproved tiles if you can help it.
-You can't get hammers or commerce without food. The newer the city is, the more you need to focus on getting it food.
-Build a granary in every city. More food; see above.
-Whipping away population with slavery is a really good way to produce most things.
-Know how you intend to stop barbarians; axemen are generally best if you can get them.
-6 cities by 1AD is pretty much the minimum you can get away with.

DT

Warlords was also good, nothing wrong with playing it as well before moving to BTS.
By now there are so many good YT videos out there, and here you could jump into Old Dude's Monarch thread i.e.
Honestly i think a sticky thread of some kind with basic info would be much better than new ones on repetitive topics.

Honestly i think a sticky thread of some kind with basic info would be much better than new ones on repetitive topics.

Did I just hear you volunteer? ;)

Since you don't want us to respond in that thread, I'll thank you here. A link to it when noobs come will save many much effort.

Top Bottom