The Emperor Series #03: Asoka

played a bit further yesterday going for domination

Spoiler :

As of 1510 AD I have capped Romans, have something like 15 cannons and 15 mix of muskets, rifles, next target is Monty.

@ABCD
let hear us about your progress, you should have some quick domination on this map.

I got a 1909 AD Domination. That makes 2 Emperor wins in a row. Full report tomorrow :)

gj! in my game:

1060AD
Spoiler :

Still developing peacefully. I built up my defensive forces to match most AIs. Am researching Liberalism now, should be np, even though my rate actually is pretty bad. mini world war brewing with the target bieng mansa musa.

relations
Spoiler :

map
Spoiler :

techs:
Spoiler :

Round #1 - To turn 103
Spoiler :

Warrior 1 SE didn’t reveal anything major, so I opted to SIP for what looks to be a strong Buereu capital. I completed bronze working on the same turn that I met Monezuma(!). Lack of bronze at this stage prompted me to head for AH next to see if I could locate some horses.

Build: worker > warrior > worker > warrior > settler … can’t remember any more.

Research: agriculture > BW > AH > TW > Pottery > Writing > alphabet

I settled the horse/corn/banana city to the west to provide early defences against barbs. My next 2 cities were planned to be way down SE on the Rice/Gold/Clam site, with a cottage filler for valuable commerce in between on the river. Unfortunately an errant barb archer delayed me settling the gold site and by the time I was ready a barb city had spawned. I opted instead for a cow/corn city to my immediate NW as my workers were able to pre-improve the cows.

Lack of happiness was already proving quite a drag, so I prioritised monarchy ahead of currency. Dehli looks to be an absolute gem of a site, and I want to get it big enough to work all the riverside cottages asap. It already has an academy, so should be providing plenty of beakers by the time civil service comes around. I have a couple of decent hammer cities already, and have eramaked the pig/corn site to the South as my GP farm.

I’m hoping to play a peaceful opening while cottaging up the jungle if my neighbours will allow it. If I can block over to the barb corn city to my west I should be able to get to 10+ cities while unlocking the heroic epic from the barb cities. There is some great land to take advantage of if I can stay alive long enough to mature it! At this stage I have no grand strategy beyond cottaging up my cap, and just staying in the game until I can make late game cottages bear. My lands and provisional dot map …
Spoiler :

Round #1 - To turn 103
Spoiler :

Warrior 1 SE didn’t reveal anything major, so I opted to SIP for what looks to be a strong Buereu capital. I completed bronze working on the same turn that I met Monezuma(!). Lack of bronze at this stage prompted me to head for AH next to see if I could locate some horses.

Build: worker > warrior > worker > warrior > settler … can’t remember any more.

Research: agriculture > BW > AH > TW > Pottery > Writing > alphabet

I settled the horse/corn/banana city to the west to provide early defences against barbs. My next 2 cities were planned to be way down SE on the Rice/Gold/Clam site, with a cottage filler for valuable commerce in between on the river. Unfortunately an errant barb archer delayed me settling the gold site and by the time I was ready a barb city had spawned. I opted instead for a cow/corn city to my immediate NW as my workers were able to pre-improve the cows.

Lack of happiness was already proving quite a drag, so I prioritised monarchy ahead of currency. Dehli looks to be an absolute gem of a site, and I want to get it big enough to work all the riverside cottages asap. It already has an academy, so should be providing plenty of beakers by the time civil service comes around. I have a couple of decent hammer cities already, and have eramaked the pig/corn site to the South as my GP farm.

I’m hoping to play a peaceful opening while cottaging up the jungle if my neighbours will allow it. If I can block over to the barb corn city to my west I should be able to get to 10+ cities while unlocking the heroic epic from the barb cities. There is some great land to take advantage of if I can stay alive long enough to mature it! At this stage I have no grand strategy beyond cottaging up my cap, and just staying in the game until I can make late game cottages bear. My lands and provisional dot map …
Spoiler :

how do u plan your cities with the white BFC? is it included in BUG or BULL?

Domination win, 1909 AD.

Spoiler :

After capping the Romans, I directed my empire toward a brief period of consolidation: rush buying temples and granaries in the ex-Roman cities, for instance.

Oh, and building Mausoleums everywhere. I was going to need the happiness and war weariness reduction :)

In 1715 I kicked off what would prove to be almost 200 years of constant warfare.

I'd always planned for Mali to be my next target - we shared a long land border, and I need to get through him to reach Monty and Alex.

But even if I'd been thinking of someone else as a target, Mansa gave me reason to choose him:

I'm wise to your little culture push, Mali.

I had pretty much all my cities pumping alternate cannon and riflemen. Infrastructure was ignore outside of a few key builds in the new Roman conquests (libraries, barracks and forges).

Gao fell quickly, and I headed on to Timbuctou, but Mansa bribed Suleiman into the war. I'd suspected this might happen, and moved troops to invest his nearest cities and block any land attacks.

Suleiman really didn't show up with anything, just a few dribs and drabs. So the immediate result of his declaration was for me to capture one of his cities, as my main stack continued working on the Mali.

And just in case Mansa wondered what a stab in the back felt like:

I teched to Assembly Line, while dropping my tech rate slightly. This meant I would get the tech 1 turn later, but also that I would have enough gold to upgrade most of my main stack immediately.

This I did, while the tide of rifles heading for Suly became a tide of Infantry. As he was nowhere near Assembly Line himself, needing about 20 turns to tech it for some reason, this was bad news for him.

Mansa sniped a weak ex-Roman city from me, but I took five of his cities (razing two of them, but keeping three; including two that were stacked with wonders). He saw the writing on the wall.

I kept on grinding Suleiman off the continent - a slow process as his cities were along a long peninsula and the seas were entirely his - that was one area that he had me - and my two triremes - totally outmatched.

Meanwhile, I built up my forces, and:

Which pretty rapidly prompted:

Monty vassaled to Alex a short time later.

For myself, I continued using my main stack to crush Monty, while building a second stack in my new Malinese holdings. By now, artillery, tanks and fighters were coming off the Indian production lines. This was bad news for Alex. He had Infantry, but not much else. So he'd march towards, and I'd air strike him as he came, then hit him with pinch tanks.

He only lost two cities in the war, but he lost a lot of units, and so:

With his master gone:

I took my foot off the unit spam pedal for a little while here, quickly pumping out the Pentagon, a bunch of levees and factories, and drydocks. By the time Alex and Mont capped, all my coastal cities were spamming 5 XP ships, while my inland cities produced fighters (for the carriers), bombers, tanks and marines.

I'd briefly had peace with Suly after kicking him off the continent and attending to Alex. Now I turned on Suly's colony, Sitting Bull. I figured it would need to go before the Ottomans would capitulate.

SB had 4 cities. And then he had none.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Suly capitulated, but in the mean time I had a big stack of land units with nothing to do, so ...

The Ottomans gave up.

And Nappy lost 3 cities (2 to me, 1 to Mansa), which quickly led to:

You can see the degree of warring I did here:

A fun game, and I'm very pleased with the result.

just finished space race (earliest to date for me) 1894

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
In the reneisance, once I started building all the universities, banks etc... it was already over. There was no way anyone would catch up to me in science, and in fact, I had to tech to space by myself.... in retrospect, maybe giving the AIs at least some leading techs would be good so I get more than simply artillery from the internet. In

I could have easily dominated everyone with my tanks... this didnt' seem like a standard sized map tho, and my computer could barely handle taking turns to finish the game once I had my spacesip in flight... ugh.

at end:

Spoiler :

final thoughts:

Spoiler :
This map was slightly too easy imo haha --- way too much land :p. i will definatley be checking out more of these emperor games, which is my current level, although the margin of victory on this map (and my other emp games) makes me wonder if maybe its time to try immortal.

You guys are fast. ^_^

The next game, starring Ragnar, will be a completely different experience. Think this map has too much land? How about too much water? ^_^ Lots of island hopping... kinda like playing a Pirate game in the Caribbeans.

Let me know when you guys are ready for it, and I will upload it.

@ABCD
let hear us about your progress, you should have some quick domination on this map.

I'd like to, but work and stuff has been too busy in the last week or so for me to play hardly at all. :sad:

When I do get a free moment I may try to complete the war just to see how fast I can do it. But given how strapped I am for time recently I'm not totally sure I want to invest a couple more hours in an Emperor domination just for the sake of it. My main aim right now is getting better at Deity :goodjob:. But who knows, maybe I will get the itch to run over some hapless Emperor AI.

Top Bottom