The end of DLC?

September 21 - Babylon (Release)
October 25 - Mongolia
December 16 - Spain + Inca
March 3 - Polynesia
May 3 - Denmark
August 11 - Korea

If you look at that, it's been as late as three months before. I'd say wait until December to be sure (plus, December DLC is more logical in case people want to buy it as a Christmas gift).

Or one could come up this month and a double in December

If you look at that, it's been as late as three months before. I'd say wait until December to be sure (plus, December DLC is more logical in case people want to buy it as a Christmas gift).

Sure, but I mean we're not heard any news about anything lately. I don't think 2kgreg has posted anywhere in a while.

Yeah, that's what I think too. Maybe even December to be close to Christmas.

Sorry, but I disagree with all of this. Why are you limiting DLC?

DLC Civs so far are most certainly not an "expansion pack" but that does nothing to stop them from releasing such content in the future.

Steam games get downloadable "expansions" all the time.

Give me one reason why Firaxis can't make a game changing "expansion pack" available for download? By definition, that pack would be "DLC".

I don't think he is limiting anything. Plus he never said Firaxis can't or won't make a real expansion
Semantically you're right, anything you download for the game is Downloadable Content.
But that is not what he means. Compare the DLC for Civ5 with the expansions for Civ4. All the DLC combined for Civ5 would not add as much as BTS did.

anyway, i hope they are working on a traditional expansion pack, and would include all the DLC released so far in it (since i haven't bought them yet)

I don't think he is limiting anything. Plus he never said Firaxis can't or won't make a real expansion
Semantically you're right, anything you download for the game is Downloadable Content.
But that is not what he means. Compare the DLC for Civ5 with the expansions for Civ4. All the DLC combined for Civ5 would not add as much as BTS did.

anyway, i hope they are working on a traditional expansion pack, and would include all the DLC released so far in it (since i haven't bought them yet)

That'd be bad business. If I was holding the thick end of the stick I'd release a complete DLC compilation along with the expansion pack. 50% off of the DLC pack if you buy the expansion pack.

Sure hope they don't read this :p

I asked 2KGames on Twitter today:
@2KGames Can we expect an announcement for the due upcoming Civ5 DLC soon?
To which they answered:
@anandus no word right now - we will update here with any news, though!

Which in my interpretation is more like "maybe there is something in the works, but we can't tell you yet".
I might be optimistic, but it at least isn't a straight denial or something like that.

That'd be bad business. If I was holding the thick end of the stick I'd release a complete DLC compilation along with the expansion pack. 50% off of the DLC pack if you buy the expansion pack.

Could even be only one version that includes all the DLC. The DLC would be a "free bonus", perhaps with a fun story about how the expansion couldn't be balanced\programmed correctly unless all the DLC was in there (up to that point). I kind of doubt they'd be that harsh to DLC buyers (i.e. biggest supporters) though, at least not from day 1.

Could even be only one version that includes all the DLC. The DLC would be a "free bonus", perhaps with a fun story about how the expansion couldn't be balanced\programmed correctly unless all the DLC was in there (up to that point). I kind of doubt they'd be that harsh to DLC buyers (i.e. biggest supporters) though, at least not from day 1.

if the already released DLC is not included, it would be hard to fill the feature list, unless they are going to give us another 10 civs ;) on top of religon, espianage and a new era :crazyeye: or whatever

i dont know why the DLC buyers are going to feel "ripped off" if an Xpac is released with included civs, if only u had held off 18 months from getting the extra content, u could have saved your cup of coffee

Of course there are two reasons for them not to included already released civs:
The first is that they'll cut into the GOTY-sale, as someone can buy vanilla Civ5 and the Xpac and be done with it.
The second is that they'll cut into future DLC-sales, as people (not all, but definitely some) will forego buying DLC and will wait for the next Xpac instead.

This, of course, doesn't mean they can include other civs in the Xpac.

That's true, but if they were to do something like say, change the way City States behave, or add espionage or religion, it could be DLC, but it would probably cost more than a couple of wonders. Whether they call it DLC or an expansion pack is largely semantics; probably better for them to call it an expansion pack to placate the DLC haters, and of course to better charge more money for it.

The first several patches almost completely changed the game, certainly much more so than something as simple as changing CS behavior or adding religion. It has been quiet for a while, however, so it makes sense that they're planning something big. My bet is that the "expansion pack" is just a very large dlc with 5 or 6 civs + major CS overhaul + lots of scenarios + some added content (ie, overpowered junk that makes the game easier again). And I'll buy it just like everybody else... :)

Give me one reason why Firaxis can't make a game changing "expansion pack" available for download? By definition, that pack would be "DLC".

Can they make an expansion pack available for download? Yes, they can.

Will they? No, they won't.

I should clarify. Not, no they won't release an expansion via download but rather, they won't release an expansion, period.

If they were to make a game-changing expansion, all subsequent DLCs would either

A) be built only with requirements that are unchanged by the expansion (i.e., you don't need the expansion to use the DLC; it uses nothing added or changed by the expansion) or

B) have to be released twice with Version 1 for those without the expansion and Version 2 for those with the expansion.

Come to think of it, all prior DLCs would also have to be modded to accommodate the expansion's changes as well, else they'd go boom whenever someone buys 'em.

Why wouldn't any release from now on solely be downloaded, regardless if it's a main game, add-ons or expansions? But it is semantic, you can call it a DLC or just simply a downloaded release. Maybe there is already a mindset that DLC can't be more than $9.99? I don't think Steam really cares what it is called. Purchasing a $49.99 game, $29.99 expansion pack or a $9.99 DLC is all exactly the same thing.

Top Bottom