The evolution of flags in your country.

French soldiers wasn't worse than the English, American or Russian at all. England survived because of the channel, Russia because of it's vast lands and huge population.

Actually, French soldiers fought really good as smaller units integrated in the allied forces. This happened in North Africa, in Italy and of course in France it self, and many allied comanders regarded them with high esteem.
________
Infants Zoloft

Flag of Bosniaks in the Ottoman Empire

Flag of Bosnian Revolution Against Ottomans in 1830

Independent Bosnia -1878

Bosnia in the Austria-Hungarian Empire

Bosnia in Yugoslavia

Flag of Independent Bosnia's Official Goverment

Bosnia Today

Originally posted by Mr Black
Amenhotep7,

Dude how could you ignore the Betsy Ross flag!

EDIT: Does the color officially change from blue to dark blue???

no. it has always been dark blue. i believe we had the union jack in our flag in 1776. i'm not sure if one of the the snake flags was ever our national flag(one of these is our naval jack), but I'll post them anyway:

a site on our naval jack:

http://www.navyjack.info

@Steph:

"There is a small omission in the list of flags for France. During the Napoleonic wars, two Flags were used. The standard one, with three vertical bars and another with a white diamond in the center, with two corners red and two others blue. I'll try to find a picture. This flag was used mainly by the Imperial army, and I'm not sure if it was used in other occasion, but given the importance of Napoleon's army, it's worth noting."

These were military flags and were issued to regiments in 1804. the style was altered in 1812 and again in 1815. Many times the center of the white square listed the battle honors of the particular regiment that carried it: Marengo, Austerlitz, Jena, Waterloo (oops!) etc. I do not believe that this configuration replaced the tricolor of the Revolution. They are shown frequently because much of Napoleon's ceremonial activities had a military orientation.

http://web2.iadfw.net/napoleon/eagles.htm

The first time Brazil had a flag for itself was when we became the United Kingdom of Brazil, Portugal and Algarves. The capital of this Kingdom was Rio de Janeiro, and it was the only time in history where the capital of an european kingdom was in the Americas.
(1816-1821)

Then when we becam an independent monarchy in 1822, the Emperor Pedro I decided that the following flag would be the flag of Brazilian Empire
(1822-1889)

When we became a Republic, in 1889, we adopted a flag that was a cheap imitation of the american flag. Fortunately it lasted very little.
(15 - 19 of November, 1889)

And now the current one. It changed slightly with time, since we got a new state, Acre, from Bolivia, and we also "prometed" severall territories to states, so they got their stars. But since the changes were small, I'll only post the new one.
(1889-Present)

@luiz: I thought the stars were a picture of the nights star as seen in Rio the night the Republic was proclaimed. I didn't know that each one represented a state.
Btw, that 1889 one is truly the worst...flag...ever.

@ Rolo Master: There are several flags missing there, and about the first one you posted, there is really no evidence that such flag was ever used, and if it was, it was just for a brief period during the rule of Afonso Henriques.

Originally posted by MCdread
@luiz: I thought the stars were a picture of the nights star as seen in Rio the night the Republic was proclaimed. I didn't know that each one represented a state.
Btw, that 1889 one is truly the worst...flag...ever.

It is a representation of the night in Rio when the Republic was procalimed, but the republicans selected the most bright stars and made each of them represent a state. When new states were added to the Federation, other stars that were also visible from the day of the Proclamation were icluded in the flag.

The way they assigned each flag for ecah state is incredably complicated. For exemple, the onle star above the motto represents the state of Pará, but don't ask me why. I always thought it would be more logical if it represented the Federal Distrcit, but I guess thare are intricate atrological reasons that explain it.

About the 1889 flag, it's truly an awful, awful flag. No wonder it only lasted 4 days.

Oh, and I forgot another thing: there used to be a third word in the banner right? "Ordem, progresso e..."

Originally posted by luiz
The way they assigned each flag for ecah state is incredably complicated. For exemple, the onle star above the motto represents the state of Pará, but don't ask me why. I always thought it would be more logical if it represented the Federal Distrcit, but I guess thare are intricate atrological reasons that explain it.

Maybe the motto represents the equator and parts of Pará are above the equator (but so are other states, or perhaps they were not yet states at the time and Pará was the northernmost full state then). Maybe it a tar from the northern sky, more visible in Pará.

I never heard about a third word in the motto. It was inspired in the Positivist motto of Auguste Comte: L'amour pour principe et l'ordre pour base; le progrès pour but

As for the starts, I found this explaining pic

The star that represents the Federal District is Sigma Octantis, and its position near the south celestial pole makes it visible across almost the whole country, year round. Also, given its polar position, all the other stars depicted on the flag trace appear to rotate around Sigma Octantis. Choosing this star to represent Brazil's capital is therefore particularly apt (although it is a much fainter star than any of the others).

I knew there was some kind of astronomical explanation!

Maybe the motto represents the equator and parts of Pará are above the equator (but so are other states, or perhaps they were not yet states at the time and Pará was the northernmost full state then). Maybe it a tar from the northern sky, more visible in Pará.

By the time of the Republic we already had Roraima, a state completely above the Equator.
Your second guess seems right, though. the star must be visible all year from Pará, or something along those lines.

Originally posted by luiz

I knew there was some kind of astronomical explanation!

Corrected your sentence. :p

I read that about the third word somewhere a few years ago. But it would be fun "Amor, Ordem e Progresso" ;)

Choosing this star to represent Brazil's capital is therefore particularly apt (although it is a much fainter star than any of the others).

DF is also a much fainter place than most other states. Unless you're on architect :D

Well, I'm a physicist. I can be angry with you if required. :cool:

Well, I'm a physicist. I can be angry with you if required. :cool:

Let's just forget that I confused the astronomers, who are scientists, for astrologists, who are...charlatains :p :D

Originally posted by storealex

Acording to legend, this flag fell from the sky during a medieval battle between Denmark and Estonia. It gave us victory, and has been our flag ever since. I think it's the oldest national flag still in use.

1219 when Denmark conquered Estonia.

There where propably some hospitaller knights along with the danish army. If you know what I mean!?

This is an model of ancient Chiense flag, in use since the 1200 BCE. The number of stripes indicate the rank.

Imperial flag of the Ching dynasty.

Flag of the Republic of China, 1911-1927. The five colors represents the 5 biggest ethic groups in China:
Han, Tibetan, Muslim, Zhuang, Manchu.

Flag of the Republic of China, 1927-1949, and still in use in Taiwan today. Blue color presents the blue sky, symbol of justice and red color symbolize revolution. The star figure in the center of the blue is symbol of the Nationalist party.

Flag of the People's Republic of China. The red color again represnets revolution, and the big star is the Communist party. The four smaller ones represents the population of China

Top Bottom