The Forgoten War...

Korea certainly isnt the forgotten war, I did lots of it for my GCSE history exam.
Its an interesting war, in that its the first one where the UN took part, and you can see the ramifications today: communism vs capitalism: the direct result. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that more people died in Korea than in vietnam.

Its very similair to vietnam in many respects, and the chinese fought it in the same way, by stealth, they didnt actually shoot the US or british soldiers (though they came close) however they supplied troops to fight the south koreans and weapons to the North: a very tricky way to fight a war

In terms of fame, Korea was a forgotten war. But that does not mean it is not an interesting war.

If the Koreans had been more careful and had guarded against McArthur's landing, North Vietnam would have won. If the USA had been more cautious later and didn't make the mistake of chosen resevoir, then I think Korea would be all democratic by now.

just a bit of useless information that you probably already know,

The Korean War has not technically ended, no treaty or cease-fire has been signed and nothing to any effect of oficially ending the war has happened except for the obvious stoppage of military action.

By the way, if you go to N. Korea(you have to take a tour startign in S. Korea) don't pick your nose, you may be shot.(The wierd information you learn in 7th grade Geography when your teacher forces you to watch video's for at least a week straight)

Afghanistan used to be known as the forgotten war in the 1980s, but I don't think many people will be forgetting it for a while now. (And as a consequence, 'Afghanistan' was given as a nickname to an Australian cricketer - Mark Waugh= the forgotten waugh, but i don't think many of you will know much about that...)

As for Korea, what do you want to know? Military history is one of my major areas of study and postgrad research, so I'd like to think I know a leetle bit. An interesting war, in some senses.

There are many forgotten wars, even today. There are low-level wars in Africa which don't even have names and are being fought with hatchets, knives and other kinds of primitive but effective weopans. Like the civil war in Zaire/Congo, the wars in Angola and Mozambique and the wars betw Tutsi and Hutus ..........
These are the real forgotten wars. I would hardly think that the 50 plus yr old Korean War is forgotten.

Also forgotten wars are the drug wars ,like on colombia.And all the time's that the U.S did secret covered action's with special troop's were forgotten wars too.

I dont think that war is forgotten in Korea! (where both sides are armed to the teeth). Or in the minds and hearts of those who fought there.

Truly forgotten wars are those that the loser is so vanquished, that nobody cares any more. Look at the plight of the native American - that war essentially isnt even mentioned in schools! I remember discussing the Korean War in school, at least....

One vet here, ME, Sinai, 1982, Grenada, 1983
Originally posted by Graeme the mad
Korea certainly isnt the forgotten war, I did lots of it for my GCSE history exam.
Its an interesting war, in that its the first one where the UN took part, and you can see the ramifications today: communism vs capitalism: the direct result. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that more people died in Korea than in vietnam.
For the US, 57,000 in 10 years of Nam, 53,000 for 3 years of Korea.

Its very similair to vietnam in many respects, and the chinese fought it in the same way, by stealth, they didnt actually shoot the US or british soldiers (though they came close) however they supplied troops to fight the south koreans and weapons to the North: a very tricky way to fight a war
Hmm, sorry, very wrong here.
The first year of the war was extremly fluid, and the second two years resembled the First world war more then anything else.
The Chinese fought nothing like the Vietnamese, and and did indeed shoot and kill many US and Commonwealth, as well as UN nation troops.
Start your study with the Chosin revosior, where 250,000 Chinese attack the US 1st Marine division, and cause the entire US 8th army to retreat.

For the Brits and Canadians here, your major formation was the Commonweath brigade, which fought with 8th army in the eastern part of the line.

My Father was in Korea twice. In the occupation of South korea following WW2, and during the war. In 1946 the army, with some foresight or more likely lucky contigency planning, had him and another officer survey a hypothetical defense perimiter around the ports of Taegu & Pusan.

The Korean war was definently the forgotten war...

Angola and Mozambique? Zaire and Congo? Who cares?

So what if a ten-dollar camel was killed by some religious fanatics in a jungle somewhere?

Then, there were the Indian wars...the Sioux fighting the Chippewa or Cherokee or some other group that you really can't tell the difference from. Well, maybe ten people died of arrow wounds...but teachers (in America) like to cram that crap down kids' throats for three years.

"Angola and Mozambique? Zaire and Congo? Who cares?

So what if a ten-dollar camel was killed by some religious fanatics in a jungle somewhere?"

The death toll from the fighting betw the Tutsis and Hutus ran into the hundreds of thousands. I am also fairly sure that the casualties from those other wars ran into the tens of thousands. It's because of people like you who don't care that such things passed unnoticed in this age of the Internet and realtime TV. Sad.

Okay, I apologize if I offended anyone with my post - but I think it's high time people realized that Africa has been at war with itself for hundreds of years, and will continue to be no matter how much intervention we (the United States, and other industrialized nations) provide.

There's no forgotten war in Africa, because that war is still being fought and will be until one group has suffocated the rest of the continent. Sad, but true.

Originally posted by rmsharpe
Angola and Mozambique? Zaire and Congo? Who cares?

Then, there were the Indian wars ... but teachers (in America) like to cram that crap down kids' throats for three years. [/B]
I, too, don't wish to let this go. Listen, you foolish 16 year old boy, your ideas are painfully misinformed. What is being crammed down your throats is true history - the indian "wars" (often whites massacreing unarmed indians) had many tens of thousands of victims. Who cares? Any respectable human being. That the victims are not bigoted white minnesotans does not mean they don't matter. The US and state gov'ts all had policies to wipe out indians. Your grand first governor, among others, ordered the killing of any indian on sight. That's called genocide - mentioning it as a part of your history is simply making you aware that even this great country has some dark pages in its past.

Originally posted by rmsharpe
Okay, I apologize if I offended anyone with my post - but I think it's high time people realized that Africa has been at war with itself for hundreds of years...
Apology accepted.

Actually, most of the wars being fought in Africa are a direct result of colonialism. Besides, europe has been at war with itself far more than Africa in the past few centuries. And on a grander scale. Before colonialism, Africa was just like any other continent - waxing and waning kingdoms, wars here and there. Current borders resulting from colonialism, the elimination of traditional leaders (royal families, for instance), disruption of trade, etc, have exacerbated problems. Yeah, they must sort it out themselves, but others are not free of responsibility.

I read yesterday in one of the British newspapers that on an island called Anjouan between Mozambique and Madagascar, there have been 24 coups in the last 24 years. While it is very rare that anyone is killed in these attacks, it is worrying that this sort of thing can go on and we know nothing about it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4267403,00.html

Top Bottom