The Gang of Four - FRFR Redux

In that case, if no one objects I will re-play my turns.

Go ahead, even better.:D

Preturn:

We go for conquest victory.
Switch all temples, court and libs to trebuchets and caravels.
Switch all harborless cities to wars.

1480:
Stavanger makes zerk, starts zerk.
Molde makes zerk, starts zerk.
Karasjok makes caravel, starts trebuchet.
Ivoristad makes trebuchet, starts treb.

Picking up our good troops and replacing with wars/spear/pike.

Preparing for the assault on Babylon.

Revolt to anarchy, we get 6 turns revolt.

IBT:
Vet crusader kills babylon longb.

Nippur has revolted, he gets a free musket.

1485:
Siege of Nippur
Elite zerk kills reg musket.

IBT:
barbarian uprising near Zohak.

1490:
Hidana makes war, starts war.

Siege of Babylon
Elite zerk kills vet musket.
vet zerk dies to vet musket.
Elite zerl kills elite musket.
vet zerk dies to vet musket.
vet zerk kills reg musket.
vet zerk kills vet musket, we burn babylon to the ground for 2g and 6 slaves.

IBT:
Dutch building newton's.

1495:
Land our troops against Akkad.

IBT:
our worker dies to barbarian horse, 10+ bar horse appears near Hamadan.

1500:
Shuppak makes spear, starts war.

Siege of Akkad
Elite zerk kills vet musket.
Vet zerk kills vet spear, we raze Akkad for 0g and 3 slaves.

Vet caravel kills barbarian con galley.

IBT:
4 barbarian horse appear near Tyre.

elite crusader kills bar con horse.

1505:
Siege of Samarra
vet zerk kills vet musket.
vet zerk kills vet musket, promotes, we raze Samarra for 0g and 1 slave.

IBT:
vet pike kills bar horse, promotes.
elite pike kills bar horse.

Egyptians completed JS Bach.
Dutch completed Smith.

1510:
We get monarchy.

Moving caravels toward Iziba.

IBT:
Portugese completed Newton.

1515:
Tyre makes war, starts war.
Jinjan makes trebuchet, starts war.

Siege of Izibia
Elite zerk kills reg musk, we get a MGL, so here comes our FP at Nanking.
Elite zerk kills reg spear, we raze Iziba to the ground for 0g and 3 slaves.

Troops land alongside Nimrad.

Forbidden Palace I chose Nanking over Hammerfest because Nanking is more centralised on the map and the boosted production of the 2nd core can be mobilized more easily.

1520:
Siege of Nimrud
Vet swords kills reg spear, we use our own governor.

Vet caravel kills bar galley.

Troops approaching Larsa.

1525:
Gemfjiord makes caravel, starts trebuchet.
Odense makes zerk, starts market.
Alesund makes zerk, starts market.
Itakhr makes trebuchet starts treb.
Svolvaer makes spear, starts war.

Vet pike sacks bar camp, +25g.

Siege of Larsa
Elite zerk kills reg spear, we capture city.

Summary
(1) We have a number of caravels moving between islands to pick up MI, swords, trebuchets, zerks and crusaders.

(2) We have a MGL bound for Nanking, rush FP. Another possible location is Bodo, or we can also reconsider Hammerfest. The team can make a choice.

(3) We have a task force destroying Babylon holdings, going counter-clockwise on Babylon main island (we can tell by the 3 stacked caravels with 4 zerks, 3crusader and 1 MI).

(4) We need to rush a settler on the empty dye spot south of Ellipi.

(5) I did not do any tech trading because this time we were not in any risk of losing gold from barbarian uprising. The next player can decide to do the trades i did in the previous version (see early post), or to leave it. I would leave it so as not to encourage AI tech research. We do not need the techs at all.

(6) There is an on-going task to remove roads and improvements so next player please continue.

(7) We have a caravel with 1 trebuchet, 1zerk and 1 swords bound for Karana. It should be enough to take out the city.

(8) I suggest we skip harbor on new cities unless (a) it needs the happiness and (b) it has a value luxury or resource. The lack of resources is an advantage not a disadvantage (allows cheap warrior production).

Next better player.

The save

Gots it, I'll be playing after finishing up my duties in GK2. I'll try to get it played, logged & posted before the forums go down.

Here's the log, pictures & the save will be up when we get our uploads back.

PT MM some cities.
Drop our 25gpt for furs & horses deal with Portugal, he wouldn’t even accept 1gpt.
Trade Ivory, Gems, WM & 600g for Magnetism from Henry.
Trade Economics & Mag for Theory of Grav with Gandhi. We’re now in the IA.
We’re at tech parity with everyone, except for Democracy.
Start a min gambit on Medicine.

If I can take out the Bab on my turn we should go after the Dutch next, Rotterdam happens to be a coastal city that contains Smith’s, that would be a HUGE boost to our economy.

1-We need some more ships, 12 boats isn’t nearly enough for this map. Put a rush on some.
Rush a couple settlers.
Drop off Leader in Nanking.
Troops moving into place.

2- Rush FP in Nanking.
Troops waiting for a settler before attacking Abob(dye city).

3- Complete FP, Egypt finishes Shakespeare’s in Elephantine.
Two settlers should be arriving in a turn or so.
Capture Euldabar, I’m leaving it undefended, if someone wants it they can have it but at least it will keep the Dutch from taking it for awhile.
Lose a Zerk on the siege of Ashur.

4- Capture Ahur. 0 losses.

5- Capture Niveniha, which just happens to be strategically place on Saltpeter. We’re keeping that one!
Babs down to single city, settlers will arrive next turn to settle on dyes.
I’ve already started sending troops towards Netherlands.
Our long forgotten army has been picked up as well & is in transit.

6- Take out Abor, settler in place to found dye city next turn. Babs are still alive, hmmm, oh they have 1 last city off our mainland.

7- Elipi culture flips.:wallbash:

Sorry but I have to disagree with gorm about one rather substantial thing. We currently have 43% of the land mass, and 30% of the population, plus we have a lot of unclaimed land around, gaps between cities, and 50% of our cities are below pop 4. In order to get a Domination win all we’ll have to do it take the Dutch cities, then rush some aqueducts/temples and hang on. Since our only advantage is about to be negated with Rifles, I don’t want to to go to war a single time, much less 3 times. I think that while a more boring approach, this will be a cake walk compared to war VS 3 different Civs when they have Rifles & Cavs.
I’m going to start moving towards a domination goal. Ex-Persian cities get switched to temples to grab those tiles between cities, and a couple cities with markets in them get aqueducts, some settlers ordered up to fill in gaps & claim ungrabbed land.

Lillehammer is founded, I immediately disband a sword there & rush a harbor. (dye city)
Still nothing new on the tech front. :thumbsup: A nice slow tech pace is our best friend right now.
We’re currently pulling in +65gpt, while that’s absolutely horrible, it’s pretty freaking good considering we don’t have any roads & our Lux tax is at 40%, once the dyes are online I’m gonna bump that back a bunch.

Retake Elipi. Found Elverum.

8-

Ha! That’s the last city that culture flips to those punks.
Lux tax back to 0. A few cities have to get taxmen clowns, but it’s a lot better then flushing 70gpt down the toilette.
Keep sending troops towards the Dutch mainland, while setting up small forces outside their colonies.
Cash rush away about 800g worth of temples/Zerks/settlers & galleons…….. well mostly temples.:lol:

And in really horrible new, Nationalism has hit the scene. Everyone but Gandhi has it, we’re going to want to attack before William can mass produce rifles.

9- More troop movement, a bit of rushing.

10- Trade Williams TM for our WM so we have a better idea of his roads & such. He doesn’t have saltpeter, and only 1 source of iron which I’m lining up my first strike for. After that it’s just a matter of praying his production is shot so we don’t have to deal with rifles, but on the plus side William was kind enough to place EVERY single city he has on the coast.:D

Renegotiate our Furs deal with Cleo for 13gpt & 16g.
Renegotiate our Iron deal with Cleo for Incence, 14gpt & 3g.
Sell horses to Portugal for 20gpt & 27g.

Found Falun to grab some land.

The Save!

Now some pictures for the lurkers.

The only thing that has me worried, our newly hard earned and poorly defended cities are awful close to the front line.

Woo HOO! No more image limit.[dance]

I disagreed with going for Domination, as I feel we can kill off AI quickly. Unfortunately, after your trades for techs, you have sped up AI tech speed so rifles will definitely be an issue. However, if you noticed I have already started production on trebuchets which should be more than sufficient to overcome AI's rifles. Victory is at hand, and to me, it doesn't really matter which way. I just think Domination is very troublesome, since we do not have roads to move our settler quickly and this is an arche map. But again it doesn't really matter. :D

This is off-topic, but the vikings are the first civilization which I find that the unit matches the chinese. Berserks+seafaring+militaristic+amphibious attack is about the most deadly combo after the militaristic+roads+riders. I definitely give it 2 thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Since I'm not sure of Stapel's status, let's give him 24 hours to grab the game. If he doesn't show up in the next day, we'll let Brother Bede step up to the plate

Gengis - Just played
Stapel - UP
Bede - Alternate UP
Strider - On 15 day DL with lots of prayers
Bugs - On Deck
gorm

Ruh-roh
Just noticed I'm up as Stapel hasn't checked in. Will play tonight.

Also, should my turn come round again next week, please skip as I will be out of town and out of time until next Friday

Not sure what to do to move this one along.

Sell Cleopatra a renewed ferry ticket for 4gpt
Sell Henry a ferry ticket for his treasury of 59g
Sell Gandhi a renewed ferry ticket for 38g+3gpt and his WM
Sell Willie four Chinese slaves for 115g and Saltpeter for 123g and 23gpt.

We now have all the spare cash in the world

Take the new funds and crank up the research to Medicine in 13 -9gpt.

Henry wants a Mutual Protection Pact, Nope!

T1 1580
After thinking about it realize that building settlers will be the faster and cheaper (only cost unit support and when the new town is founded reduce our unit support out of pocket) route than culture to filling in the holes in the domination matrix. Accordingly all culture builds are switched to settlers. A new town takes nine tiles immediately at one-third the cost of a culture building. And taking settlers out of corrupt outlying towns costs nothing in terms of lost gpt or prduction. (Don't forget that you can short-rush through a worker to get a 50% discount)

Once the towns are in place we can let them grow to get the population. The home island will continue to build military in order to capture the outlying colonies. Going after the home islands of the opponents will not work, IMHO.

Settlers will also help with contentment issues.

Portugal and Egypt sign an MPP

So, from 1575 to 1625 I carried out the plan outlined above and placed the new settlers in the most readily reachable spots in Old Persia, and Old Babylon and continued to build military as we are not within ten of our unit support limit. It also makes sense to pull the workers we have into the capital and sell them. They can't add anything useful to the new territories as the corruption is pretty awful out there and we don't yet have the technology to make the new lands taken from Perisa and Babylon very productive (need Nationalism and Replaceable Parts). The sale of saltpeter made sense because building muskets is just not sensible with the low shield output. It makes far more sense to build pikemen or spears and upgrade when the saltpeter comes back to us. The advantage of the map in this situation is the AI's demonstrated inability to mount water borne invasions effectively so a cardboard cutout defense makes as much sense as trying to accumulate the shields to build the more expensive unit.We can get gold much faster to do upgrades at the right time.

The rush to Medicine is apparently working We will be able to use it to get Nationalism, if we want it, and all the cash that is out there. If we can bleed the opponents of their

cash with lux and resource deals and the sale of non-military techs we can push our way into the scientific forefront and keep our Treasury in the deep black. In keeping with that approach I amde another lux deal with Willie for all his gold. I know that ties our hands when it comes to warfare, but, I honestly don't think we can win by conquest.

Domination is emenently doable, if we keep rushing settlers and settling the open coastlines and the interior once the coast is covered.

In other news, in 1605 we finished the Heroic Epic.

Sorry about the lack of details and pictures but I'm runningout of time here. Will do better next time.

Now if I can just remember to attach the save...

Pre-flight – 1625 AD – We have the strongest military in the world, although everyone has nationalism. We’ll be facing rifles soon. Our window of powerful zerks will be closing soon.

City counts – India has 11. Egypt – 16, Portugal – 14, Netherlands – 19. I think I will set up for a blitzkrieg from the sea on Gandhi. All but one of his cities are on the coast.

On further investigation, it appears Bede has set me up to attack the Dutch. But we have a saltpeter deal for 10 more turns. :hmm: And we have a ROP with India for another 10 turns. :hmm: And we have two deals with Cleo for another tens turns. Looks like the window for zerks is now officially closed.

It looks like if we can get the unclaimed land plus India, that would put us at 62+%. So my plan will be to collect as much unclaimed land as possible, and set the next player up to take India.

Switch taxmen over to scientists and drop the science slider to 90% - Medicine still due in two.

IBT _ Trondheim: Zerk=>Zerk (yeah, we’ll keep making them. Since we may not be ready for regent yet.)

1. 1630 AD – Found Gormhagen. Science comes down 10%. Hurry a settler.

IBT – Medicine comes in. Steam next. Not that we’ll be building any railroads. :rolleyes:

2. 1635 AD – Sell Medicine to Portugal for nationalism, 46gpt, 109G & WM. Hurry another settler.
3. 1640 AD – Found Bedevik.
4. 1645 AD – Found Striderheim. Rush two more settlers.
5. 1650 AD – Hurry another settler. Found Gengisborg.
6. 1655 AD – Found Bugstad.
7. 1660 AD – Found Stapelhaven. Found Charisvik (In honor of the first FRFR players). Hurry two more settlers. We’re at 40% for domination.
8. 1665 AD – Found Sirianstad.
9. 1670 AD – Found New Copenhagen.
10. 1675 AD – Get attacked by a Portuguese pirate. Found New Reykjavik. Found New Oslo. Found New Stockholm. Found New Birka. Found New Aarhus.

After Action: Zerks are set up to assault seven cities. There is a main force off the east coast of India. See screenshots.

We can probably rush some temples to claim some of the unclaimed land. But we probably have two more wars to fight.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/Go4,_1675_AD.SAV

Gengis - On Deck
Stapel
Bede - On holiday
Strider - On 15 day DL with lots of prayers
Bugs - Just played
gorm - UP

Looking through the save, our biggest mistake was to trade for techs. Unwittingly, we have sped up tech progress of everyone. Also, for a civ who is desperate to overcome riflemen, we sure do not seem to have any significant bombardment units, 7 miserable trebuchets. Whether we wanted to win via domination or conquest, tech trade is a no-no. Well it's too late to cry about that.

Here is the plan. Re-vamp all our cities to mass-produce trebuchets (cannons if we can get the damn saltpeter back), more galleons for war. I am really concern about cities having long production queue, why would we want a rifleman in 50 turns????? I will abandon some of our cities to get saltpeter.

We want artillery, nothing else. using artillery and berserkers, we should be able to win.

My 2 cents.

On 2nd thoughts, we don't need techs at all, if we want any techs, we get it from war only. Nothing else.

Oh brother!!!! Why are we building rax in a city that is in the middle of the continent? We have no roads and the city is corrupt, what are we planning to build in large numbers, riflemen? Build a rax for 20 turns to make vet riflemen every 80 turns?!!!!!

Also, why are we building aquaducts in corrupt cities? what are we hoping to achieve? Harbors in size 1-3 cities?? For what???? It is more important to get the warrior garrison first!!!!

Sigh.

Before I do my turns, we need to decide on our objective. In 40 turns, we have switched from conquest (which meant almost total war production) to domination (which meant settler production at the expense of our diminishing zerk window) to tech race(??? from what I understand from Bebe's write-up). The game has taken a 180-deg turn. What are we aimming for?

There is no sense in me going for a war if I know that some turns later someone is going to pull the plug. War needs to be fought with perservence, not switching objectives at first sight of difficulty. At worst, zerk vs rifle is a 50-50 chance (without any other factors), but everyone seem to be afraid to continue. Please tell me what everyone wants.

BTW, IMHO, switching to tech race is the worst thing we could have done. For a civ that had the strongest army, militaristic trend, almost non-existent research improvements, it seems to me that we are taking our weakest trend to compete with AI's strongest trend. It makes no sense whatsoever to me, so I need someone to explain to me.

Man, I have never been so upset about a game b4.

@ Bebe

lux trades do not equal to bleeding AI's treasury. more happiness = less $$$ spend on happiness = large population = more taxation = more $$$

I was completely going for domination, I set up ex persian lands to expand and some settlers to grab new land. I set our mainland up to producing war units. Then I positioned our troops for the next person to strike/take out the Dutch(including his island territories) all hopefully within his 10 turns. Those 300 or so tiles, plus our tiles claimed through expansion would have put us within a breeze of the Domination limit. I even drew out dotmaps outlining how I'd carry out the invasion.

You're not the only one that set plans in motion, only to see the them swing drastically in another direction the very next turn. I take as much of the blame for this as anyone else, we've all been playing the last 100 or so turns as individuals instead of a group effort and the game is hanging in the balance, at this point because of it.

Only thing we can do at this point is decide on a common goal, and all work towards it. At this point I see no other feasible solution other then domination. We're going to be hard pressed to take out 2 Civs, much less 4. If we can take out India(since our troops are headed that way now) then Egypt or Portugal we'd cross that limit.

However I will go all out with whatever goal the group decides on.

Top Bottom