1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gang of Four - FRFR Redux

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Sir Bugsy, Jan 23, 2004.

1. gormdragan

gormdragan King

I apologise if I sounded too critical, needed to let off some steam.

2. Bede

Bede Deity

Sorry if I blew it, guys, but..

..when I looked at the situation I just didn't think we had the horsepower to take and hold any Dutch towns. Taking them would have chewed up the forces we had and any counters would have finished them off.

That said, all I can offer as a contribution to the cause is to go after the weakest nation out there and endeavor to keep the money out of the hands of the others any way we can. Fill in the territories we already hold. Build improvements that will grow the population.

Controlling the yet unclaimed will put us over 50% of the land area, taking down the Indians will add another 9% and Portugal or Egypt or the Dutch next will put us over the top for terrain controlled.

If I am way out in left field in this analysis I will gladly accept banishment to the polar wastelands, otherwise known as Greenland.

3. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

We can take out India in 7-10 turns. India is pretty weak. The hardest part will be getting to the inland city. We can then roll on Egypt, the Dutch or Portugal. I'd choose the Dutch. The amphibious assault is still very powerful. Granted we might need more zerks, but the surprise element is huge. Let's just stay at war with someone. We might want to get Egypt and Portugal to fight each other.

4. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Don't sweat it at all Bede, I was simply using that as an example. I'm sure anyone could come up with numerous others(like me throwing Gorm's Conquest without talking to the group & switching full steam to Domination).

None of us individadually blew it, but we've all been treating our turns as simply that..... "our turns." This game is still very winable, we just have to agree on a plan and all work together towards that common goal.

5. gormdragan

gormdragan King

I totally agree with GK. Let's see if we can whip up something. Why dont' we all look at the save and discuss our goal. Will post my thoughts in a while.

6. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Just a friendly bump. I tend to agree with bug's game plan.

7. gormdragan

gormdragan King

I originally intended to play this SG during Memorial Day weekend. Unfortunately, I am called off for work. Will be away for about 2 weeks in Louisiana, not sure if I will have internet but if I do I will play while I am there. Sorry guys.

8. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Roster Check:

Gengis - Up
    Stapel - On Deck
    Bede - Alternate On Deck
    Strider - On 15 day DL with lots of prayers
    Bugs
    gorm - Off to Louisana

9. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Got it, might be a day or two because I've got to finish off Bugs1 first.

10. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Don't worry guys havn't forgotten about this one, just a bad week with finals and all. I'll try to get it played tonight.

11. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Sorry about the delay guys, brutal week.

Flight Check: War is inevitable, the sooner the better too.

IT We lose our incense/14gpt for iron trade with Egypt.

T1- Since we’re caught up in tech, noone really has that much gpt to spare so crippling them through selling Steam is out, and being the first to research it will just lower their costs……. I turn off our research, that 100+ gpt is much better served in cash rushing an saving it to buy alliances then it is toward railroads we can’t use.

Noone has a MPP with India, why put off till tomorrow what can be done today. Cancel our RoP with India & declare war.
    Take Kolhapur, Karachi, & Jaipur(all cities in the island W of our mainland) without losing a Zerk.
    Take Hyperbad.
    Lose our first Zerk in the siege of Bangalore.
    Take Chittiong & Bengal. India is left with only their 4 main cities & 2 others on that same continent.
    Say a quick prayer to the RNG gods for no culture flips.

IT Nada.

T2- Take Bangalore(next to Delhi), say a big prayer to the no CF gods.
    Take Calcutta, at the loss of a single Crusader.
    Take Lahore. Barring Culture flips, India is down to 3 main cities & 0 others.

IT Massive resistance quelling.:D

T3-
    But……. We raze the city, chance of a CF is too great & that will relieve the flip chance of Bangalore greatly. I have a couple settlers enroute.

IT More resisters quelled.
    India drops 3 war elephants off next to Stockholm.

T4- Capture Madras.
    Good thing I have some Zerks in the area, take out 2 of the elephants & wound the other. Unfortunately, taking them out” involves losing 2 Zerks.
    Dutch & Portugese have Steam, they’ll give it to us for either iron or ivory respectively. We get 0 from Steam & they highly benefit from those, hmmm. I’ll pass.

IT
    No biggie saw it coming, we lost 3 crusaders though.

T5- Found New Harold.
    Have some D troops sitting outside Delhi with Zerks on the way. Have I mentioned how much I hate non-coastal cities this game.

IT Not much.

T6-
    I’m going to stop my turns now, I have umm I think 2 settlers in the area with more on the way.
    We have active deals with everyone, but I haven’t renegotiated any of them so they’re all expired except for with Portugal(3 more turns).

We’re currently at 48% area, & 51% population. Can everyone download the save & suggest a course of action at this point? Where we go from here is pretty important.

And one last thing, we have 13 settlers ready for pick up……… I think that’s enough.;)
    Save

12. Bede

Bede Deity

Okay, it's calculator time.

According to trusty CRpMapStat, there are 235 unclaimed tiles. Thirteen settlers at 9 tiles each will gives us just over half that and put us at 53%. Rushed culture at 280g apiece will cost 3640g, we don't have that much cash...

Taking and holding Egypt with culture expansions or settlers to fill the gaps in the towns will deliver an addtional 15% for 68%...

or the same approach in Portugal will put us at 65%....

or back to the Netherlands for 66%...

Which of the these three are closest and weakest?

And BTW, way to hurt the Indians, Gengis.

13. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Thanks, but I can't take the credit. Bugs set me up masterfully, I just gritted my teeth & declared war sooner then most would.

Egypt/Portugal are the closest(about 50% of our total troops are surrounding ex-egypt), but both would be sketchy, especially Portugal.

My vote is head back for the dutch: All coastal cities, no one on those islands to try to beat us to the locations, and probably the biggest plus..............they have Smith's. Our gpt will jump by about 100+ if we don't have to pay maintnence on all our harbors.

14. Bede

Bede Deity

The reason I backed off the Dutch the first time was the proximity of their towns. The invasion force would have gotten hit from at least two sides right out of the box.

Don't be bashful, Gengis. Even a poor plan, masterfully executed, is better than a good plan adequately executed. A good plan and masterful execution, that spells success, or at least an island.

15. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

In regards to the dutch, their non-mainland holdings will fold very easily. A couple Zerks each should be more then enough to take care of them. The island will be another matter all together, but shouldn't be "too much" of a problem. We really only need to hold 1 city, we can raze the rest as long as we have settlers on the way.

But whatever we decide to do, we have to do it before Iron Clads hit the scene, I'm dreading that tech getting passed around like no other. Nothing like watching a couple dozen galleons full of zerks get sunk to make you :wallbash:.

16. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Gengis that was great! I thought I had a pretty good plan set up, but you executed to perfection!! :beer: all around!

I think the Dutch would be the easiest target with their coastal cities, although we are probably closer to being able to hit the Egyptians and Portuguese. If we hit Egypt, we had better just raze all of the cities. Lahore didn't flip back to the Indians, it flipped to the Egyptians. That is some serious culture.

Roster Check:
    Gengis - Indian Slayer takes a break
    Bede - UP
    Bugs - On Deck
    gorm - Off to Louisana

Disabled List: Still on the team but out of action (just pipe up when you need the game gents):
    Stapel - On 15 day DL
    Strider - On 15 day DL with lots of prayers

17. Bede

Bede Deity

Got it.

Play today.

Hurt the Portugese and build towns.

18. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

The problem with going after either Egypt or Portugal, is for every town we raze or take, whoever we're not fighting is going to take free land as well. Getting them against each other won't work, because while they'll kill each others units, whoever we go after is going to lose & the other will just start taking cities.

That's the main reason I'm for going after the Dutch. We can raze/or take cities based on how the wars going, not because we have to get it before someone else.

19. Bede

Bede Deity

Noted.

Brevity is the soul of wit, but not on CivFan.

20. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

:lol: Not to often you hear Shakespeare quotes in here, that's for sure.