1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Gang of Four - FRFR Redux

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Sir Bugsy, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Bede

Bede Deity

And there are days around here when I feel like Polonius.

2. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

"Defend your reputation, or bid farewell to your good life for ever"
    M W of W Act iii, Sc.2

3. Bede

Bede Deity

FRFR

0-1720
    I study the map and calculate the best chances.

I am going to set us up for Egpyt. They are closest to our land-based military, "compared to them we have a strong military", they hold the most territory, and are only three percentage points behind the Netherlands in population, we can get some help from the Portugese who share a landmass with Egpyt, there is a Dutch town between them and our towns in old Babylon, they have no staging bases near the homeland, the cities on their primary landmass are more spread apart than the Dutch homeland, though they do have cavalry....they have only one source of horses and I can't find their salpeter, they have fewer outland towns closer to our offshore towns....

Given all that...

What does the original GoF think?

I know this is taking longer than it should but I am really sailing in uncharted waters here.

4. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

I'd get some defenders down there to reinforce those towns we're building in ex-Indian land before going after Egypt.

Good luck & take your time, I'd rather it take 4 days each & us win then rush through it.

5. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I agree with Gengis, take your time and set it up. We will probably need to raze most of the Egyptian cities since their culture is so strong.

6. Bede

Bede Deity

FRFR

0-1720
    I study the map and calculate the best chances.

I am going to set us up for Egpyt. They are closest to our land-based military, "compared to them we have a strong military", they hold the most territory, and are only three percentage points behind the Netherlands in population, we can get some help from the Portugese who share a landmass with Egpyt, there is a Dutch town between them and our towns in old Babylon, they have no staging bases near the homeland, the cities on their primary landmass are more spread apart than the Dutch homeland, though they do have cavalry....they have only one source of horses and I can't find their salpeter, they have fewer outland towns closer to our offshore towns....

Given all that...

Forget all that.

Portugal and Egypt signed an MPP in 1745 (turn 5) and I really don't want to see the hard-won Indian lands go to one or the other of them.

So....

Prior to that time I was loading the troops at the Indian cities after pillaging the countryside. Since then I have been putting settlers into any little corner I could find. Between that and border expansions (rushed temples) we picked up 3% (from 48 to 51%). In addition I tried to put some force close to the Dutch outlying towns closest to ours.

The ships at old India can sail up the coast of Egypt right past the Dutch capital to try and find an appropriate landing spot. The one thing we have going for us is that everybody seems to lack an important resource, like iron or saltpeter, I can't see the coal because we don't know Steam but I don't think we have to worry about ironclads.

I have been using Bergen as the jumping off point for troops from the homeland.

There are galleons at sea with settlers heading for a desert coast line north of Larsa. There is room for at least two towns if you want to push it.

Of course, there is always the alternative, getting Cleo to declare and attack,then getting Portugal on our side. The ships are in a position where they can go either way, onto to the Dutch mainland, or the Egyptian.

The Invasion Force

Fishing in the Desert

7. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Roster Check:
    Gengis - On Deck
    Bede - Just Played
    Bugs - Up
    gorm - Off to Louisiana

I'll pick it up in the morning and have it played in 36 hours. Open to all suggestions.

8. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I have the game now. Probably have it back by tomorrow afternoon. Has anyone heard from gorm or stapel lately. Any word on how Strider is doing?

9. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Gorm is out of town on business, havn't heard from or about Stapel/Strider in awhile.

Good luck!

10. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Gengis, just so you know, it looks like I'll try and set you up like at time. 14 of 16 Dutch cities are on the coast. Rather than a long drawn out war, I think the blitzkrieg tactic will work best. I don't think that Gandhi knew what hit him. Neither will Willie.

11. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

:worship: :worship:

12. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Pre-flight – 1758 AD – Need to pillage some tiles in our new Indian lands.

This time the war won’t be a clean as the Indian war. I will prepare to take out the Dutch. Hopefully, I’ll be able to start it.

Cancel a saltpeter for gpt deal with William. Cancel a horses for gpt deal with Henry.

Cancel a furs for 4 gpt deal with Cleo. Renegotiate for 13gpt, 43G & WM.

There aren’t any MPPs out there. I thought Bede said there was an MPP? :hmm:

Renegotiate a ROP with Cleo for 8 gpt.

IBT – Produce a zerk

1. 1760 AD – Hurry a galleon. Spend 160G or so on two temples for more land.

IBT – I’m going to start building some cavs. Produce zerk, two temples, galleon,

2. 1762 AD – Found New Karistad. Pillage some tiles. Maneuver.

IBT – Egyptians start U.S.

3. 1764 AD - Found New Batsfjord. More pillaging. Hurry another temple.
    4. 1766 AD – Maneuvering.
    5. 1768 AD – Sailing, sailing… Hurry a temple.
    6. 1770 AD – More sailing.

IBT – Willie wants to sign an MPP & ROP with us. We don’t like you. You build ugly roads.

7. 1772 AD – All Indian lands have now been cleared of those ugly roads and irrigation ditches. Hurry another temple.

8. 1774 AD – Found New Hammerfest. We’re at 53% of land.
    9. 1776 AD – Americans sign the Declaration of Independence from Great Britian. Hurry another temple.
    10. 1778 AD – Found New Honningsvag.

After Action Report – Not as well set up as last time. Most of the core Dutch cities can be hit. You’ll find galleons fortified all over. Some galleons don’t have movement left, so you’ll need to wait till next turn.

We’re at 54% of land area. We might be able to win with Just Dutch land and some fill in settlements.

I can see why Charis’ & Sirian’s game slowed to a halt. When you aren’t fighting, this is pretty boring.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/Go4,_1778_AD.SAV

13. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Roster Check:

Gengis - Up
    Bede - On Deck
    Gorm - In Louisiana
    Bugs - Just Played

ON Disabled List: Stapel, Strider

14. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

:bump: *cough, cough*

15. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

I hate to do this:

Gengis - MIA
    Bede - Up
    Gorm - In Louisiana
    Bugs - On Deck again?

ON Disabled List: Stapel, Strider

Brother Bede, it appears you and I have become the gang of two. :rolleyes:

16. Bede

Bede Deity

Got it.

Play tonight!

17. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

Sorry guys. Didn't mean to leave you hanging like that.

Good luck with the invasion Brother Bede, I'll pick it up after you.

18. Bede

Bede Deity

Sign Henry to some luxury trades for treasury boost and then renew the RoP

Hurry some more temples in various spots.

1780-1784
    Setting up to invade isolated Dutch towns and to protect our towns from Dutch counters.

TIme to open the ball.

Hit Den Helder and Delft first, then the island off the coast of the Dutch main island

Attack at Delft kills three defnders and fails against the fourth, losing two zerks.
    Den Helder falls, no losses, minor casualties.
    Lauwerberg's tirfle and pike defender kill two zerks.

At Fauske two zerks flawlessly kill two defenders, one promotion. Town will fall next

Haarlem falls with no two losses.

Gronnigen on the Dutch mainland is next. It falls, we lose two zerks.

Arnhem still stands after four zerks attack, killing two defenders with two losses. Abbot's Battalion is landed at gates of Arnhem

Kill a knight at Leiden, revealing spear in the garrison.

Dutch retake Gronningen and attack Nimrud

Delft falls and Fauske and Leiden. Harlingen's rifleman defeats an elite zerk. Holwerd falls.

Whittling away at dutch counter attacking forces at Arnhem and Larsa.

With border expansions and two new towns on the Dutch island, plus captured towns have gained 90 tiles of the 282 needed.

Dutch will take Larsa with a crippled cavalry and we will retake the town next.

We lose Larsa and Nimrud to Ductch cav and Delft flips back. Dutch frigate sinks unloaded galleon on high seas. Dutch counterattack at Arnhem and lose two longbows

Take Middleburg. We now control the offshore island

Haarlem flips back to the Dutch

Retake Nimrud. Fail at Haarlem. Whittle away at Arnhem.

Lose Bede's Battalion to determined Dutch at Arnhem.

Take Breda

Reorganize at Dutch offshore island and aim galleons loaded with troops at Harlingen.

There is a cav moving to meet a galleon at Hangchow on the home island.

Trying to establish a beachhead on the Dutch homeland served to draw off any troops they would put in boats but was otherwiise a bad move. We are getting closer to the territory needed but at a snail's pace. The pace is not so much frustrating as very tiring...coordination is very dificult as you have to locate boats and troops and try to put them in the same place at the same time.

19. Sir Bugsy

Sir Bugsy Civ.D.

Gengis will you be available to play this anytime soon? If not I'll pick it up.

20. Gengis Khan

Gengis Khan Deity

I can pick it up in the next day or so(whenever I get my disk), if you can play before that go ahead.