The Gang of Four - FRFR Redux

Didn't move him a square.

From checking out the starting location I saw that the river started in the mountain close to there, I would have liked to move him & the settler up 1 tile but that wouldn't have it be a coastal city(no river mouth in view).

After thinking about it for a minute I figured that the chance of me finding another spot with 4 BGs(not counting the 1 I settled on), on a coast, with river access, and only 3 coastal tiles was slim to none. And even if I did, it would waste quite a few turns exploring & then getting my settler where I wanted him, then a few more to get the worker back to the city. So I just settled & joined him right away, hence the starting warrior vs curragh for exploration.

I can't argue with that reasoning. All very sound. I was curious how you handled it. Probably gave you more productivity in the city earlier.

Thanks for the screenshots!

At least we can build outposts, I'm absolutly in love with the new outposts in Conquests(well it's new to me, I never got PTW. Leave me alone!!)

Any suggestions for our next city?? I was thinking the hill 4 tiles to the east(between the BG, cow & tobacy. Also on a coast). I definatly don't like the look of all that desert to the south, hopefully there's some nice land to the north, but with the map position I'm guessing we'll hit tundra pretty soon.

Also how's our layout gonna go? I'd vote for packing them in pretty thick. We'll need all the cities we can get for unit support cost, especially if the lands as crappy to the south as it appears to be.

Any long term ideas on research? I'd vote for either pursing Lit or Map Making after Alphabet. Since we got BW so quickly I'm almost positive we can snag the Colossus if we start on it within 10 turns or so(this is Regent after all:rolleyes::lol: ).

Min research on Lit with some shady trading to keep people away from Writing or Lit and we might luck out & be able to get the Great Library as well. That would be a huge start for us.

Map making on the other hand will allow us harbors to connect our cities, and almost as importantly we can upgrade our carraghs to caravels & throw some warriors into them to go goody hut farming on the islands. The AI in Conquest doesn't seem to go after goody huts as much as they did in vanilla so we can try to use that to our advantage, and once again do to it being Regent we'd likely see pretty good results.

A tough decision for sure.

I think map-making (harbors, lighthouse, sea tile saftey, extra movement) is a must for us in this game. The harbors will be our roads.

I saw that hill and I started hoping it might hold iron some day. That would be a very good place for city #2. Plus being on the on the other coast will save some turns of curragh driving.

Hopefully we can meet somone that has IW soon. We will need to locate all resources on the coast as soon as possible.

I think we should build our cities as close as possible on the coast.

Don’t mind the turn numvbers :blush:

1. grow to 4; I will finsih the curragh
2. Discover new civ border in the south. Change production to granary? We don’t have pottery. The warrior will go north, the new curragh goes south and then west.
3. no contact yet… It is on our island, make another warrior thus.
4. Change to another curragh, we have one unknown direction left Kinda expensive….
5. Move curraghs
6. Move curraghs
7. change to settler
8. moving!
9. moving!
10. growth to 5, One scientist (3 beakers). Writing in 4, breakeben, only 2 gold, settker in 3.
11. moving
12. moving
13. …. Lost track of counting……

Da 2430 BC save

I've got it. I'll try to post a screen shot for the team.

Good job exploring Gents.
Here's a early dot map proposal.
I think I'm going to walk our settler across to Red Dot and try and start a crude settler factory. It should be interesting to see how quickly we can crank out some settlers.

[Edit - Hey, that's number 1000 for me :) ]

Question for the team. We have writing due in 3 turns. What should we research next. Given our restrictions, we probably need to know iron working and the wheel very soon. Thoughts?

Pre-flight - 2430 AD Some units haven’t been moved yet. Start the settler towards red dot, and bring a warrior with him.

Nothing on the diplo front.

IBT – A barb warrior is heading towards our city.

1.2390 AD – We have a pink boarder…Portugal. Henry has a crooked mustache. He’s cautious and he’s up two techs on us: pottery and mysticism. He’s got 20G and doesn’t want to talk about selling either tech. Being a seafaring civ, they’ve probably met someone else.

2. 2350 AD – Exploring. Knock science down to 10% with writing due next turn.
We are just kicking butt on shield production in our capitol… a whopping 4 spt.

IBT – That barb warrior fortifies on the gems. That’s an interesting change in C3C. Writing comes in. Let me see what I can trade before committing myself. Maybe I should just be committed.

3. 2310 AD – I think we need to get both techs from Henry. I don’t have enough cash (3G) So I go to Mao and sell CB for 10G. Still not enough. I go to the X-man and sell him writing for 14G. Yes that is probably a :smoke: move. Henry will now give us Mysticism & Pottery for Writing, 19G & 1gpt.

There are two horse tiles near the coast. One across the water from our capitol to the west and one down towards the Chinese. I start on Mapmaking on min science. The best we could do was 48 turns, so we’ll settle for 50. :p Hopefully we can start making some money since I just put us in debt. Our budget is at break even right now.

4. 2270 BC – Found Bergen on red dot. Start a granary. We’re now running a surplus of 7 gpt. I check science. If we spend all our cash, we can get MM in 36 turns. I figure we’ll need the money, so I keep it at 10%.

IBT – The barb warrior comes down from the mountain. The people build a nice lawn for our cave.

5. 2230 BC – We have an orange boarder. The Dutch.. that’s two other seafaring civs. :cringe: William is cautious, stupid (no techs) and poor (10G). We’re up Masonry, Wheel, and Writing.

6. 2190 BC - The X-man has IW. We trade him Wheel and Pottery for it. Good news, there’s an iron hill on the southern part of our continent. Bad news is that it is right next to the Chinese.

I turn around and sell IW to Henry for Mysticism & 12G. So for our two first tier techs we get two second tier techs and 12G. I’m not feeling so bad about my 1gpt deal earlier. Without it I couldn’t have executed this last round of trades. So we’re either ahead every one but the Portuguese and we’re even with them.

IBT – Another bard approaches our capitol.

7. 2150 BC – Exploring.

8. 2110 BC – More of the same.

9. 2070 BC – Move a warrior into Chinese lands.

IBT – Mao asks us to leave. Yeah, sure you bet.

10. 2030 BC – Spot an Egyptian settler…. All by his lonesome. :hmm: Cleo is polite, has 2 wines, is down six techs and has a whopping 12G.

After Action Report - Checking the space race. The only folks we haven’t met yet are the Babylonians and the Indians. They are probably due east of us. I have a vessel on our northeast coast ready to head in that direction. There have been easy crossings so far. I expect you’ll find more. I haven’t had to suicide once.

Why don’t the next two players, gorm and mad-bax, both play 11 turns. That will get us to a nice round number for turnovers… I think. :hmm:

Right now, the cities aren’t much to manage, and the exploring is the only fun part. Well, I guess the trading has been fun. I think we’re going to lose out on the Colossus (only 4 spt stinks), but hopefully we’ll have map making and we can switch to the lighthouse.

>> SAVE - 2030 BC <<

Here's a screen shot.

Note the horses across the water from our capitol.

Settling on the furs to the far northeast will grab a whale.

Got it.

Actually I would prefer to settle on the fur south of the purple circle. the gain in whale is not as good as the hills+wheat. Any comments?

Originally posted by gormdragan
Actually I would prefer to settle on the fur south of the purple circle. the gain in whale is not as good as the hills+wheat. Any comments?

I think we should settle on that hill later.

There might be iron!

We have IW. There isn't any iron around us. Only down by the Chinese.

I'm sorry guys, but something has come up at work and I am not going to be around enough to play this SG after all. I appreciate the invite but I just won't have time. Sorry.

Mad-bax,
Sorry to see you go. Looks like we're really a Gang of Four again.

I'm back, after a lovely 4 day trip to Murtle Beach and to Chapel Hill to watch the heels get slaughtered by Clemson(I demand a rematch!!). I'll be reading over the posts I missed shortly & posting my thoughts :)

Top Bottom