The Golden Age of Aircraft Carriers

Interesting conclusion. I would argue that the Golden Age of aircraft carriers began on Dec 7, 1941, and is still going to this day. Why? Since that day aircraft carriers have basically been the undisputed queens of the sea. Cruise missiles could give them a run for their money to be sure, but even today I don't think that they alone could seriously challenge the carrier.

After all, even the Soviet triumph in Red Storm Rising relied on a very clever deception, and the arrogance/failure of the USN pilots to properly ID their targets.

I have little doubt too that we'll see carrier vs carrier battles, probably in the not so distant future. As other superpowers begin to seriously rise in the near future (China, India) and/or the US begins to wane, it won't take that long to get to the point where someone will be capable of fielding carriers capable of challenging the USN.

Speedo said:
I have little doubt too that we'll see carrier vs carrier battles, probably in the not so distant future. As other superpowers begin to seriously rise in the near future (China, India) and/or the US begins to wane, it won't take that long to get to the point where someone will be capable of fielding carriers capable of challenging the USN.
I don't know, China has hardly any Navy to speak of, and even that is outdated Soviet equipment ( diesel submarines, an Alfa or two). India has their own carriers I believe, but they are based on HMS Colossus, so hardly a real threat there, at least not the same as if she had her hands on a Forrestall-class. But when it comes down to it, even if we get matched carrier-wise, they still have to put up with the Los Angeles and Ticonderoga class, and that my friend is where the real challenge begins.

India is getting the Gorshkov, and building its own Hermes replacement (Colossus types are fairly long gone).

Red China is investing in a number of systems and potential solutions - Kilos, Sovremennys, as well as shore based anti surface systems. They cannot hope to play conventional catch up, so are instead trying a different means of effective parity.

Neither have anything close to the Nimitz CVNs, and will fall further behind with CV-21.

Yea the Reds are mostly getting some of the 'newer' Soviet equipment, or basing their designs heavily off of them. They might be able to eventually muscle around some other nations, but they won't come close to ours, just a big turkey shoot. And now that we have those MK48 torpedoes, their Alfas cant outrun torps anymore.
CV-21, as in USS Boxer? How/why would they be getting THAT? It's lke 60 years old, I didn't know it was still around.
What does/will India operate off of the Hermes and Gorshkov? I know they're not getting JSF, do they use Yak 141s or Harriers, or just helos?
Back to subs again, the Kilos are getting old, but they're still nukes, i wonder if they have Papas and whatever that other 'new' Soviet sub was . I've never heard of the Sovremennys, but that might be what I'm thinking of.

I would assume he was referring to CVN-21, aka CVN-X or CVX.

It's rather stupid that they call it that anyway, since the first ship of the class will be (IIRC) CVN-78.

No, that is CVN-77.

It is correct that the reference to CV-21 was to CVN-21, which will probably end up as the USS Gerald Ford if current developments are followed.

It is a turkey shoot if they fight conventionally.

Indians are deploying Mig-29s on the Gorshkov, and are working on some indigenous advanced aircraft. However, if the Arjun is anything to go by, there is no need to hold one's breath.

Kilos are SSKs, and there was only one Papa that went to the scrapyard a few years ago. There is the new Amur SSK, and some SSN development. Sovremennys are DDGs with Sunburn SSMs; torpedo fodder, but can get a shot off.

Top Bottom