The Great War: The Kaiser's Road to Victory

Are you going to end the story in 2018? (Specifically November 11, 2018?)

You mean 1918? :lol:I will end when the central powers claim victory.

CK, this mod might let you down. Did you check this one?

Also what does Confederate hymn does among WW1 music? :eek:

I've played both mods and I believe this one is better. For starters the one you suggested only last 72 turns or so and you don't get the full scope of the war with that. Second it's impossible to win the that one as Germany.

I'll attempt to get an update of this sometime between Wednesday to Sunday.

August 3, 1914
It was great day. The world's greatest empire and its kaiser had just declared its war upon France and Russia. Soldiers from all around Prussia boarded the train for either the Western or Eastern front. Their wives and girlfriends waved and cheered as the men sang old German folk songs. Everyone expected this war to be a quick one. Wilhelm brought together his Oberste Heeresleitung. The generals and the Kaiser discussed the war and best thought out their tactics. For many years before this war the Prussian, Saxon, Württemberg and Bavarian Armies remained largely separate in peacetime. Each kingdom had their own War Ministry but the Imperial Constitution officially made the Kaiser the Commander-in-Chief of the military in the German Empire.
Spoiler :

The first order of business was moving the largest army in all of Europe to where they needed to go. The OHL had decided to follow the plan set forth by Schlieffen in the case of a rise of hostilities in 1905, aptly named, the Schlieffen Plan. The plan ordered for German troops to march through Belgium and take it so that Paris is much closer to reach. The plan requires for the quick dismantlement of France so that all effort could be put onto the Russian front. The German army was rapidly mobilized and an enormous force of 170,000 troops into the Belgian countryside near Brussels. The massive army loomed over the puny defensive force. German artillery was ready to unleash a hail of fire.
Spoiler :

In accordance with this plan to take Belgium, the Kaiser's generals also ordered many hundreds of thousands of troops straight into France. The first detachment was of about 210,000 troops strong accompanied by several light artillery batteries. Germany hoped to overwhelm the French before they could do anything to harm the Prussian Empire.
Spoiler :

A second detachment was ordered to move in toward the French city of Nancy. This group, while much smaller than the army from Cologne, stood 60,000 men with two artillery batteries following closely behind. They too had moved in on the hapless French city. Nothing would stop the German army. French citizens of Nancy began to severely worry for their well being as they saw a quarter of a million troops line up outside of their city.
Spoiler :

The Frankfurt division moved in to join the fight. With these reinforcements the total invasion force numbered approximately 410,000 men. Approximately 30,000 men then were told to join the Strasburg group as their smaller numbers made them an easier target. The proud Germans lined up outside the French city and made camp while they prepared for war and ate heartily. The German forces near Nancy were assured victory by the Field Marshals back in the homeland.
Spoiler :

There is a trench improvement that is made by workers but I have yet to need it.

August 5, 1914
"Never have I seen such a beautiful countryside. The Belgian land is absolutely gorgeous and the rolling farmlands would make a lovely addition to the German Empire. King Albert I is the unluckiest man in all of Europe to lose this wonderful land. I have yet to see the city of Brussels, but I have heard that it is a city to behold. It is said to be incredible. Many other soldiers traveled there before the war, but I am from the areas near the Baltic sea so our family could not travel this far. Belgium is a lucky nation, they will be the first to be under the rule of our glorious Kaiser. The so-called Schlieffen Plan is pure genius, we will win the war in weeks with this."
-Lt. Heinrick Klum​
Spoiler :

One of the most advanced and powerful navies in the world sat in the North Sea. The German Admirals had been contemplating an idea for a little while. All trade was cut off from Germany to the Americas. No trade was not a good thing. The admirals thus proposed an idea to the war committee. If they were to take the Northern Isles of Britain, then trade could be reestablished to America and Mexico. The fleet was thus sent on a trip to the remote islands to take them and make them German.
Spoiler :

With a significant part of the navy now gone and on a mission to the frigid North, the Western seas of Germany were free to attack by the even more massive British Navy. The royal fleet could decimate the Kaiser's in pure numbers and the Prussian officers didn't want to even risk that. Russia had little naval power to speak of so the admirals then ordered many fleets to make course around the Danish country and into the bay at Hamburg. Germany could not risk letting Britain land troops next to such an important city.
Spoiler :

Still very wary of British naval supremacy, Germany instead pushed for a sneakier type of warfare. Submarine warfare. German submarines in the shipping channels would be the bane of England's existence. Their first job, disable any sea-ways and demolish the transport ships that could move British troops. The Kaiser's submarine fleet in the English Channel was able to drive the British navy into a narrow part where the German subs made mincemeat of the weak-hulled transports. It was hoped that Germany had now disable Britain for at least enough time to make the taking of France possible. The Brits now had to build not only an army, but rebuild part of its navy.
Spoiler :

While the German navy was being shuffled around, a large section of the Berlin regiment was ordered East to support the troops already stationed there. One of Germany's largest concerns was massive Russia. They had the men to overrun Germany so they had to hold tight and withstand the blows. The Oberste Heeresleitung knew that the fighting here would be mucky, terrible, and gruesome. Offensives would have to be carefully coordinated and pulled off well if the Prussians wanted to succeed.
Spoiler :

The military still worried deeply of the Royal Navy so even larger chunks of the Kaiserliche Marine were moved to the North Sea. Germany would not be caught off guard by British ships. The Germans had all their weapons in place and armaments ready. The dreadnoughts were armed and prepared to fire. When the citizens of Hamburg looked out over the sea, they described it as a "mass of steel with water under it".
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Germany needed to increase its presence in Russia. The nation may be too big on land, but their navy is approximated to be no where near Germany's size or strength. The admirals thus ordered the movement of hundreds of ships in around the Russian held lands in the Baltic Sea. Germany wanted to cut off all trade to and from the Russian Empire. No help would be coming in from Britain and nothing could be sent to Germany by ship from Russia. The Czar was now trapped into a land war with the Germans, the largest army in Europe and one of the most advanced.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The world's destiny would be decided soon. France was already under threat of occupation in less than a week into the war and Germany had effectively cut off all sea-landings. The Germans were highly confident in themselves that they could end the war in weeks and at most, months. The French, British, and Russians did too though. No matter how strong, confidence and arrogance would do nothing against lead and gunpowder. The truth was, no one was ready for this war to take place. A war where it is determined not who is right, but who is left. A war of the gods. The war to end all wars. The Great War.
Spoiler :

Well Germany has a secret weapon ;)
Spoiler :

No I don't believe so but I figured I could recreate it at a similar moment, not necessarily chronologically, and give it a say, 7/10 chance of working then use a random number generator.

Excellent story!

Guess what? I particularly enjoyed the first part of your 'August 5, 1914' post! :goodjob:

So did you make an event yourself or are you just going to WB everything?

If I knew how to mod I would make it. I will have to use WB.

Excellent story!

Guess what? I particularly enjoyed the first part of your 'August 5, 1914' post! :goodjob:

Thanks! I'm going to try to put t least one journal entry in each update.

From Wiki: 7 May 1915 – World War I: German submarine U-20 sinks RMS Lusitania, killing 1,198 people including 128 Americans. Public reaction to the sinking turns many formerly pro-Germans in the United States against the German Empire.

So, the Kaiser's Road to Victory is stuck in the mud of the trenches? What happened?

This story will *probably come back to life once I have time.

Dear Comrade Liebknecht,

I am tired of this fighting. It has been many months since the Kaiser "declared victory" in France, yet we still push on. I've been on the front line for almost two years now, and I miss my family. I know you do too. It's time we did something about this. Comrade, I know that this may be hasty in my thoughts, but we need to bring about the society we always dreamed of. The one that Marx and Engels spoke so fondly of. I type this now in hopes that you see this and understand what must be done. I am powerless, but I know the same cannot be said for you. If you called for a revolution you would have an army within the hour. I'm sure this is only one of hundreds of letters you get, and you can't read them all, but I want you to consider the plight of the people. Only a few years ago I would have died for Kaiser Wilhelm, but today I can honestly say I would enjoy waving a red flag over the Reichstag, spitting at his image. I know you can't call for a revolution just because a friend asks you to, but you're the only one that understands at the least.

I don't wish for you to bring down Germany or destroy the monarchy, but we need change. The German people need change.

Your friend,
Maximillian Schnabel

May 1916
"Nothing about this war is righteous anymore. We joined in expecting a quick victory, and that's what we got. Paris fell within a year, and Britain ceded the Shetlands to us, yet here we are, still pushing further into France and Russia. Even though we have won, Kaiser Wilhelm insists on total victory, and nothing less. I'm as patriotic as any other German, but there comes a time when you stop sacrificing your sons and call an end to something. We are losing more and more young men every day just because the emperor wants more land to call his own. I would like to put forward a bill that puts an end to this war once and for all, lest we give the people of Germany a reason to doubt their government." - Speech given by Wolfgang Kuhl in session in the Reichstag, May 12, 1916

RUMORS OF REVOLUTION
May 18, 1916​
Following a speech given by left-leaning German politician Wolfgang Kuhl rumors of revolution have been spreading through the Bavarian regions of Germany. It is believed that Marxist demagogue Karl Liebknecht has been rounding up support to fight against the Imperial army. The Marxist movement had become based in Munich following the purges that occurred earlier this year, but it was believed to have withered away in the Bavarian sewers. It seems, however, that the movement is stronger than ever, feeding off of a common resentment against the continuation of the war. Thousands have already shed their white uniform for a red flag, and thousands more are joining each day, reports state. The German government asks that its people avoid any contact with the treasonous Marxist party, and threatens severe punishments for those that are found to be in league with Liebknecht.

Marxist leader, Karl Liebknecht

Top Bottom