The Greeks

Good review. For Greeks or Carthaginians, I will not build their UU until I want a GA. So I may not build a hoplite until the middle ages and If I build Leo's, I get cheaply built/upgraded defensive units all the way up to mech inf IF I do not GA.

One more thing about the Greek is to my opinion THE CIV to play for an OCC.
Start with Bronze and Alphabet, allowing you to build the Colossus (providing you are costal) and research Writing/Map making and Literature for the Great Light and/or Great Library(Golden Age).

Don't forget that the greek is actually a very good warmongering civ!

No kidding!

Read this interresting game report: http://sirian.warpcore.org/civ3/epic14.html

Sirian even went as far as calling "using the hopitle to pillage" tactic an exploit.
But then again, he has these "this or that is an exploit" fits more often. So it doesn't have much meaning when he sais so.

Yeah, Greece has one of if not the best UU in the game, and as a Civ definatley deserves to be in the top Civ group- Horse and hoplites are the best one can offensively muster early in my opinion but its not a bad force and too kinda mimics alexander the great's army- that early Ga never really bothers me with ancient age UU civs, i use it as a time to expand and build even if at war - Mounted Warriors, Legions and Gallics -the biggest threats-can be repelled by ol Hoplites. (Emperor/Huge/continent)

What i often do with Greeks is builid a lot of hoplites early and attack a strong nations best city by surrounding the city and blocking all the squares around it especially the important ones. Then i pillage the improvements and cuz of high defense the enemy has a tough chance counter-attacking until i bring more troops or cause a lot of damage. Tell me what you think about this tactic...

:p

Yes in my mind the Greeks are the best civ out there! You get a good defensive unit to protect your cities! I usually build 3 a town and don’t build any more units until knights and then gorillas or infantry! This way I am not stuck with a bunch of old units! Then a pump all the extra money into my science and before you no it I am researching at 10-20% in 4 turns! I can most of the time (on Monarchy) beat the computer in the tech tree by a whole age some time more! So they are still building knight when I am building MArmor, MInfantry, NSubs and Stealth Bombers!

Greeks are good. No problem with science usually. Almost always in my games they were among richest.

Yes Thanks for the analysis indeed...great job
I allways prefer to play as a greek..lol

Regards

I agree- but even great civs like Greece need size for power. No, really, a small Greece isn't a powerful Greece. I discovered this in a recent game. It was standard/contintents/8 civs/Me playing as Vikings/and I don't remember the other game specifics, but that doesn't really matter. I discovered a less-than-ten city Greece on the other contintent. When I discovered them, I was almost in, if not in already, the Industrial ages- and Greece was just getting out of Ancient Times! Even though I'm a fairly new player that's still on Chieftain, this could probably happen on higher difficulty levels, too. They need cities for scientific research. And it is possible to beat them at culture when they aren't very big, at least, it is on Chieftain. I know, I've done it. My point is, for the Greeks' style of play, size matters.

Greece is sweet, with my two of my three favorite traits and a UU that saves it from Korea's dark fate, there sweet!

100 posts w00t.

Top Bottom