1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Guardian

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Tabarnak, Apr 23, 2013.

1. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch Chieftain

You don't need Antaran ships, the strategy doesn't use any Antaran techs. Whatever gave you that idea?

I've been using variations this tactic for several years now, often before encountering Antaran raiders. If I'm lucky enough to be set up to go to Orion before they begin their raids.

The techs needed are:

Battle pods

Merculite missiles, plus 2 higher techs beyond in the same category to allow them to use the mirv and ECCM mods.

Emissions guidance system

Fast missile racks

Augmented engines

Being higher up the tech tree when you build these ships allows more missiles to be carried due to the miniaturization of components. Also if you have the faster ship drives, augmented engines may not be needed and that space used for a 2nd 2-shot, EMG, mirv, ECCM Merculite.

Lately I've been messing around with a mod of the game I created where tech tree, ship and weapons stats have been changed substantially, but the basic tactic described in the video still works, except it takes more ships and if tried early enough in the game might require cruisers instead of destroyers. That is because the space needed for the EMG mod merculite might be too much for a destroyer already weighed down with fast missile racks and augmented engines.

If you mean the hollow triangle noting the gas giant has an outpost, then no. That is normally how they are displayed. You can also see the the system's name is not capitalized on the main map. That shows there is only an outpost there, instead of a regular colony. I don't think I have ever seen the AI build outpost ships, so I think the outpost programing in the game is limited to player and the AI are not programed to build the ships.

2. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

@scratch : I don't remember when i built my last outpost...not sure how they work. Do they act like bridges?

About vid : Haha i see now...these Orion ships aren't Antarans...i saw this vid too fast i guess... :blush: But quite more understandable for me now. Finally learned these chinese terms since a couple of days :lol:

-------------------------------------

Well i finished my last game and beat the Antarans on turn 191! :D

That is by far my fastest Antaran beat. 10 death rays battleships(with the best armor) and Locknar. I traded the Quantum Detonator for the Dimensionnal Portal from the Mershans.

3. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch Chieftain

They sort of do that. I often use an outpost to bring a distant system or race within range of my ships. Useful if Orion is out of reach. Outposts are cheap to build, and provide a marine base if the outpost is ever made into a colony later. When you get the movement bonus techs star gate and jump gate, outposts operate like a regular colony to reduce ship travel times to and from. The AI will treat an outpost as a colony, so they can be used to "claim" systems to keep the AI away a little longer if you cant colonize right away. Since they are cheap, outposting can be useful to claim systems near AI with questionable attitudes, instead of going to the effort of a full colony that may get quickly lost to that AI. Their downsides are they don't add to income generation, cant build anything and don't add command points or have population.

4. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Thanks! I will check if i can use them efficiently in the future.

5. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

You have to rename the save to one of the valid types allowed here or zip it. I just rename to sav.

6. neilkaz

neilkaz Chieftain

7. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Yep, thanks TristanC solved my problem a couple of posts ago. I did post a save but removed it since that it wasn't the correct one.

8. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

I wanted to keep it a less tempting target for ai expansion... and I just played that game to kill the guardian anyway.

9. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

I guess so...or you would have expanded much more than that isn't it?

10. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Chieftain

Hmmm. I doubt a colony ship (besides the Orion one) would have been at all necessary, if that's what you mean. That empire looks dinky but the only thing it actually needs is the productive capacity to keep up a little flow of troop transports and they can follow Loknar around while he stomps on everything. The home system can manage that. Let the AIs build your colony ships!

11. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

This guy...is really something i agree. But yeah not being close from Orion then you wouldn't stay too small?

12. Darza

Darza Chieftain

In fact you need a 9 destroyers. Could be 8, but too risky, 9 is 99% kill. Point is to not use a FMR, but 2 fully modded EMG merc in ONE (important) slot. Thats how the lightning field work. And yes, neutron scanner.

13. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

Just recorded a video to show Guardian kill with the 2xCA and 4xFF designs that were posted in Thread Start; With Tachyon Scanner and Fusion Drive.
    Defeating the Guardian

14. Rocco.40

Rocco.40 Chieftain

And here is a vid showing defeat of the Guardian by 8xDD that Darza mentioned above.