The Helicopter Gunship in G&Ks is a single huge bug!

FeiLing

Deity
Several issues, several savegames and pictures.

GKv1.0.1.705_Bug_HelicopterGunship1.Civ5Save

Bug1: Apparently the Helicopter Gunship is for absolutely no reason not allowed to enter a mountain tile with it's last movement point:

Trying to circumvent this behavior by pressing "4" on the Numblock didn't work:

Note: If you enter a mountain though with the first 5 of it's 6 moves and then end it's move it can rest on top of a mountain, np.

GKv1.0.1.705_Bug_HelicopterGunship2.Civ5Save

Bug2a: Either the "uses always 1 movement point per tile" mechanic newly added to the Heli causes the movement prediction to be incorrect when an embarkation is part of a movement OR the heli mistakenly loses all movement points when embarking, while it shouldn't:

(Unit doesn't move where it said it would within this movement - move stops with the embarking.)

Bug2b: The Heli actually is a Viking. He can disembark without losing the rest of his movement points. This is likely related to the above mechanic/bug as well.

NOTE2: I don't think the Helicopter Gunship should embark at all. It's flying over mountains, why would it be unable to fly over ocean? It's also pretty weak imho (60 combat strength for an Aluminium unit which is only really good against tanks and only more mobile than other units if there are no roads?) I believe it could be changed to not embark but instead move/attack normally over ocean tiles without causing any balance issues. Realism increased. Bug fixed. Do it.

GKv1.0.1.705_Bug_HelicopterGunship3.Civ5Save

Bug3: The Heli can attack even though if the target doesn't die it would be stacked with another unit (Modern Armor here):

(this worked, the Missionary was captured/killed.)

Notes: He can not do this against the city. I don't know if he can do it against a non-civilian unit. If he can't, this might actually be intended (albeit a bit surprising).

GKv1.0.1.705_Bug_HelicopterGunship4.Civ5Save

Bug4: Instead of capturing civilians inside of a barbarian camp the helicopter gunship destroys them (even if they used to be your civilians):

Note1: Not tested but I suppose this also happens with any barbarian civilian unit whether it's inside a camp or not.
Note2: This is seriously rage quitting material (if you didn't know this and it happened in a mp or hof game...).

GKv1.0.1.705_Bug_HelicopterGunship5 (no savegame)

Bug5: The "hovering unit" promotion is wrong or doesn't work correct as a Heli does not take damage when he ends his turn on a mountain:

Note: Pre-GK the helicopter gunship did not take damage when ending it's turn on a mountain tile. Not sure if they intended to change that or if someone just thought he'd be smart by adding the damaging part to it's tooltip since that is what happens to Carthaginian land units when they end a turn on a mountain.

GKv1.0.1.705_Bug_HelicopterGunship6 (no savegame)

Bug6: The helicopter gunship ignores the ZOC (movement does not end when the unit enters the ZOC and makes more moves within it without leaving the ZOC beforehand).
Could be intended... then of course it lacks a promotion/description saying it ignores ZOC.

Note: Tested against barbarians. Can't recall if it also happened versus the units of other civilizations.

I have noticed this may be a bug to do with mountain pathing in a time of war.

Were you at war with Rome? Because I had a bug with Carthage where I had a movement point and wanted to move onto a mountain tile to end my turn (taking the attrition still of course) and there was a unit next to me. Even though I had a movement point still it wouldn't allow me to move onto the mountain and listed the movement turns as "2" just like in your scenario.

No rome was a friend with open borders. This happens everywhere for helicopters, doesn't matter if the tiles belong to anybody, yourself or nobody and if there are other units around or not.

And there's more... I'll add bug6 right now.

Can you post two screenshots for us to confirm something? One where you park a heli on a mountain, and the second one from the very next turn where it stayed on the mountain.

I don't mean to act doubtful, but ppl on another thread told me they take damage now when ending turn on a mountain, I'd just like to see who's actually correct.

Thanks (I haven't reached helis yet in a G&K game)

A little OT...
Does anyone remember how helis in CIV had a graphical glitch where their main rotors did this invisible blades thingy? They fixed it eventually, but I remember that glitch stuck around for the longest time....and it really annoyed me.

They do not take damage. Will not post a screenshot of that :p

Presumably what you read elsewhere was from people stating that the promotion says they would now take dmg... coupled with the game not allowing the last movement point to be spent to move it onto a mountain, no one (apart from me) probably dared to actually try ending their turn on a mountain.

Methinks you may be right....once people told me it was 'happening', I wasn't about to try it. I'm glad that it isn't happening though. I always park my helis on mountains across the border from my next victim friends.

unfortunately can't check because it had too many promotions and I can't see them all. It was an upgraded sepahi (ottoman UU for lancers) I think, so it might have keep its "move after attack" promotion from there (sepahi->anti-tank->gunship)

An extra one! In Vanilla, I noticed an embarked heli could end its turn on an Iceburg tile... Can't be intentional right?

An extra one! In Vanilla, I noticed an embarked heli could end its turn on an Iceburg tile... Can't be intentional right?

They can cross ice tiles as well. What is really frustrating is that ice tends to be coupled with water and land tiles, which causes the pathfinding tool to completely break. You should be able to fly over all three no problem, and this is what the tool shows. But when you try it, you end up embarking/disembarking and losing all your movement points.

Why haven't they fixed Helicopters yet?

Top Bottom