The Immortal Challenge 4: Flight of the Phoenix

Beautiful.

Congrats. I just have one question: I've been off and on following this series - who was the sixth AI?

Yeah I know, but the game was started as a standard continents, 7 player game. We never met the sixth AI, unless they were killed by a barb uprising?

It was the greeks, and it looks like Roosy and Monty carved Alex up between the two of them. you can see such notable aztec cities as " Athens" and "Sparta" in some of Aelf's SOTW posts. EDIT: Here's the LINK

BTW great game aelf. looking forward to the next one with BtS.

Did you intend to make it sound as if you were going to suffer some tragic loss? :confused:

Anyway, nicely done! I sincerely hope you continue the series (despite this thread being considerably longer than others, you kept my interest from the start). I would love to see you play with Beyond the Sword! :thumbsup:

Huuurrrmmppppphhhhhhh......I was having a nice little nap, and you woke me up with all that posting..............:lol:

No...Well done, I think its nice some of these are posted on warlords for the Mac people who can't get BTS, unless they go into Windows emulation mode...I think...(I have a pc)

If you do go to BTS... How are you going to play it???

I hope you do....it brings a different view point to these walkthrough's , and to be honest, I find I enjoy walkthrough's as much as my playing. Sometimes more as it takes less time..:lol: For me.....:crazyeye:

Anyway, you made it...hope you can keep going...

Overall Game Analysis

I'll keep it short, since I don't claim to remember everything that happened since the beginning :p So I'll just be giving the main points.

I think Organised really helped us out. We had bad neighbours whom we had to regularly declare war on, which was also in the interest of expansion. With all that land and not many means of commerce till past mid-game (the gold and gems helped in the early game here), we would have been sunk by the upkeep costs without that trait. Also, the cheaper courthouses and factories were awesome.

Besides that, it was the pretty classic method of conquering the continent and surpassing everyone. We also managed to do some good and well-timed tech trades. Researching Democracy was probably the best trade move, followed by the series of trades that ended with us getting Biology. These really helped us even the field, especially since Alex was swallowed up over at the other continent and thus led to the creation of a powerhouse Roosevelt.

We were pretty lucky with the GPs, but we did set it up that way, with Edirne producing GS points and Istanbul GE points.

I think what was lacking here was military. We should have built more troops. The wars weren't as easy as they looked; they were quite a few near misses. I think we would need to do that if we move on to BtS.

As for my plans, I'm afraid I'll be pretty busy soon. However, if time permits I would start an Immortal series on BtS exploring more novel situations, such as a seafaring empire. This would differentiate the series somewhat from the ALCs, but not quite with role-playing elements as in the RPCs.

What do you think about this idea?

I'm in favour of a BtS series, and it seems like you have some good ideas for it. By the way, sometimes it looks to me like you and Sisiutil are playing two different games: he almost always wins the game by having a huge production, you almost always do it by impressive economic surges. I'd be glad to see you both continue your series. :)

I agree with carl corey: S man ( I hope he pardons me for saying this ) has a very brute force aproach that has gotten worse with time. You normally have a far better play regarding economy and diplo and it would be good to see the two aproaches being adverstized....

Well, I believe spamming units is increasingly a better choice with Civ4, as I've argued some time ago. I guess a balance can and should be struck.

I remember....... ppl didn't liked to see that. 6 pages thread :p

I think that there still is space for economical and diplo game in civ without enourmous army building, but in BtS the balance is clearly poised to army building as best choice..... Well, that is what we get with a more military minded ( not always for their good ) AI ;)

Top Bottom